3 to watch in 2021

Curtis - Garner - Phillips

also interested to see how Dom Tyson goes this year also - if there's a run with role he should be angling for it

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Derby County FC
BMac - key defender of our future, I'm intrigued if he can maintain what he showed against some of the best KPF at AFL level in 2020, season after season, and if he has another level to reach

Zurhaar - obviously there are plenty of eyes on him due his tenacity and 1v1 prowess, but what we need from him is consistency in finding the footy and putting it through the big sticks. I'd be tempted to put him around the ball early in games just to get his rage going

Bonar - still don't know what we've got in this bloke, he's young, he's got some tools, he's got plenty of size and he isn't slow. We've recruited ready to go defenders and drafted young mids. Will he be a rotational-mid piece/injury insurance, or could he be groomed to take over the job we currently have earmarked for Ziebs? In an ideal world we'd turn him into a Firrito type as he gets into his mid 20's

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Some good posts here, and there's a few ways to approach the question.

The improvers are pretty much acknowledged across the board, particularly LDU.

I'll nominate 3 other blokes, all forwards, who will cross the pivotal 40-50 game threshold in 2021.

1) Taylor Garner (15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 I50's, 1.5 goals)
2) Cameron Zuurhaar (15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 I50's, 2 goals)
3) Tarryn Thomas (15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 I50's, 1.5 goals)

If all 3 can stay on the park then I will expect a solid lift in their output.

Long Live the King

Premiership Player
Feb 24, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Interested to see how Phillips / Powell and Stephenson go this year. Hoping Powell gets a decent run and reckon he will be the best of the lot.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Comben, Perez, and Mahoney.

If that draft cohort pays off then we will be in a great position circa 2023. They don't have to be superstars but if they all developed into sold best 22 players that would get a game at any club we will be flying. Might need to watch a fair bit of VFL to track them but very happy to do so.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
I watched that on kayo yesterday. 6 foot 3 100kgs and 100 yards in 9.5 seconds!

Astounding talent wasted by a egocentric head coach.

Anyway, I digress from the scheduled programming. My three selections..

The Gun Veteran- Todd Goldstein: Does he carry on as one of the premier ruckman in the league thus lifting the midfield with him.

The Wildcard - Jaidyn Stephenson: Forward. Midfield. Both. I'm tipping he's Top 5 in the B & F

The Quiet Achiever - Bailey Scott: Can he become a 24+ possession a week wingman with stints in the middle?

I'd like to choose more but shinte has decreed otherwise.

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
W. Walker - Not exactly an impressive physical specimen but I've really enjoyed some of the glimpses he has shown in between injury. Really hopeful they haven't affected his ceiling and that he gets a fair crack at it. One of the few younger players we have that I think are destined to be predominantly played on the outside.

K. Hayden - Similar vein to the above, except he has about as an exquisite a physique as you can find, the attributes to match it, and the courage to put it to good use. Wherever he plays there will be contested football.

J. Mahony - Was played in a thankless position as a first year player, without the same toolset a small forward normally operates with, and in a team that was utterly battling. Regardless he showed some incredibly football nous, with a great blend of pure skill and crafty smarts. Is not at all shy about competing for a football, but his skills look like they could be rather deadly if he got some time and space too.

I think all three are at risk of being forgotten/overshadowed by our newer recruits especially after finishing last year on the bench with injuries. They're all quite different players, with differing skill sets and body types, but are also young and as filled with long term potential as the majority of our players. All three are also out of contract at the end of this year, so it will be very interesting to see how they go about putting their best feet forward in a much more normal year.

In no particular order:

Bailey Scott.
JZ. (Luke Hodge role.)
Ben McKay.

If these three play great footy we will win more games than we expect.

(Plus a position - medium forward.)

Duck the GOAT

Senior List
Apr 5, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good post Uncle Snake, agree with those. Its exactly those types that if they can increase their output/impact will set us on our way.

Ridiculous to think Garner hasnt played 50 games yet. Had to look it up just to prove it to myself.

Some good posts here, and there's a few ways to approach the question.

The improvers are pretty much acknowledged across the board, particularly LDU.

I'll nominate 3 other blokes, all forwards, who will cross the pivotal 40-50 game threshold in 2021.

1) Taylor Garner (15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 I50's, 1.5 goals)
2) Cameron Zuurhaar (15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 I50's, 2 goals)
3) Tarryn Thomas (15 disposals, 4 marks, 4 tackles, 4 I50's, 1.5 goals)

If all 3 can stay on the park then I will expect a solid lift in their output.

Wonderdog

All Australian
Nov 14, 2001
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Three interesting players for me in terms of where they finish up his year are Hall, Atley & Bonar.

Hall. His best is very good. Quick, can stream out of stoppages and uses it pretty well. We have a lot of mids and half forwards so where does that leave him at 30 years old. Surely in a rebuilding size if it is a choice between him & a younger player we go young, but he is unique in his ability to play equally well in both roles. He seems a “confidence” player so let’s hope Nobes can get him believing in himself.

Atley 28 years, durable,consistent & serious wheels. But only ever recorded one top 5 finish in the Syd and that was in his second year. Coming off a season where he had his lowest possession av and diminished tackles & bounces. With Lmac, corr, BMac & Robbie seemed set in defence, JZ & a bunch of younger defendive Turks he has faces a challenging year. He is best 22 right now but needs a much better year.

Bonar. His draft testing results highlight his athletic potential but where do we play him. GWS played him as a forward. When we recruited him we said he was a mid & he came to us for more opportunities as a mid & yet he played half back. The pre-season injury doesn’t help his cause. He clearly has the tools he just needs an injury free extended run of games. Still only young but needs to demonstrate progress this year.

Back