Review 3 - Tom Mitchell (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Wouldn’t read much into that, Scully wasn’t playing much this year either. He was right by round 2.
He was moving at a fair clip in the footage of him running from last week
100% this we have seen it so many times from the club, they give away as little as they can with these players (did it with Jaeger as well.)

If they came out and said he was flying and ready to go and had a set back it would look worse. Just a nice way to manage expectations externally.

Hoping his mental recovery is going as well as his physical recovery appears to be.

This is the part that's most concerning in my opinion. Really hope he can regain his confidence and just accept that it was a freak accident unlikely to repeat itself. Much easier said than done but then again, the blokes inhumanely brilliant.

Brad Johnson for some reason was given the task of re-ordering the 2011 draft.
His order
1- Elliot Yeo
2- Toby Greene
3-Lachie Neale
4- Stephen Coniglio
5- TOM MITCHELL

Now not sure Jonno is the sharpest getting around and 12 months out will make people forget but blimey to have him below Neale in particular who is pretty much a poor mans version of Mitchell is absolutely laughable.

His order
1- Elliot Yeo
2- Toby Greene
3-Lachie Neale
4- Stephen Coniglio
5- TOM MITCHELL

Now not sure Jonno is the sharpest getting around and 12 months out will make people forget but blimey to have him below Neale in particular who is pretty much a poor mans version of Mitchell is absolutely laughable.

He should be 1. He's got Yeo and Greene covered anyway.

It’s a horrific injury, as much as we’d like to think he’s be back to his best we do need to temper expectations for at least half the season imo. No sugar coating it.

I’m in the minority here. I reckon Mitchell will pickup right where he left off.

His order
1- Elliot Yeo
2- Toby Greene
3-Lachie Neale
4- Stephen Coniglio
5- TOM MITCHELL

AFLPA MVP and Brownlow Medallist, 5th best midfielder at the Swans and now the 5th best player in the 2011 draft.

Boggles the mind really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

His order
1- Elliot Yeo
2- Toby Greene
3-Lachie Neale
4- Stephen Coniglio
5- TOM MITCHELL

Brad Johnson also predicted us to finish bottom 4 last season even before Mitchell went down... AND HE WAS STILL WRONG.

He is either clueless or head*ed. I'm going to go with both.

Have heard 3rd hand from Titch's old man that the leg is worse than first thought...hopefully all rubbish.

If you've truly heard this from his old man then you officially have me worried. I'm not doubting that you didn't speak Barry but 'worse than first thought' I guess could mean a raft of different things. I don't care if it takes him all season to get himself right just as long as he gets himself right.

Feel free to elaborate further on what Barry said because your brief post leaves way too much room for dire assumptions :thumbsupemoji:

If you've truly heard this from his old man then you officially have me worried. I'm not doubting that you didn't speak Barry but 'worse than first thought' I guess could mean a raft of different things. I don't care if it takes him all season to get himself right just as long as he gets himself right.

Feel free to elaborate further on what Barry said because your brief post leaves way too much room for dire assumptions :thumbsupemoji:

Like i said I did not hear directly from Barry however heard it had come from Barry that his leg was a fair bit worse at this stage than they had previously expected.

His order
1- Elliot Yeo
2- Toby Greene
3-Lachie Neale
4- Stephen Coniglio
5- TOM MITCHELL

Not sure how you can put a Brownlow medalist at number 5. Brad also tipped us to finish circa the bottom of the ladder this year.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion but there's a pattern forming with Brad.

Like i said I did not hear directly from Barry however heard it had come from Barry that his leg was a fair bit worse at this stage than they had previously expected.
That’s pretty much what the current media around his leg is saying anyway, even Tom himself.

It was a horrible injury, and it was worse than the club first believed it would be. There is absolutely no guarantee that Mitchell will return as the player he was the year prior.

If we look at other cases of these horrific injuries we can see that it generally takes two years for the player to get back to their best form (Hayward and PG13 in the NBA, Aaron Ramsey in the EPL and Rohan in the AFL), but there are other more numerous cases where the player is simply just never the same (Nathan Brown, etc.).

We would be being extremely negligent to start relying so heavily on Mitchell like we did in '17 and '18, so thankfully we have Worpel and Wingard as two other top midfield options. And then after a year of gaining confidence in his body and finding his feet he will hopefully be back to near his best in '21.

Whatever may be at least Mitchell is extremely dedicated to his rehab and his conditioning, so he will be doing everything he needs to in order to make the most of the horrible situation.

Good game on the weekend. Better balance between kicks/handballs. Laid tackles and snagged a goal.

He was never going to get back to his 2018 year form this season, it was always going to be a working up to 2021, but it's good to see Tom building back to his level.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back