Review 3 - Tom Mitchell (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Good game on the weekend. Better balance between kicks/handballs. Laid tackles and snagged a goal.

He was never going to get back to his 2018 year form this season, it was always going to be a working up to 2021, but it's good to see Tom building back to his level.
Yeah he’s starting to get back up to elite level again. Almost a shame the season is shortened because the way he’s building we could of seen something close to his best by round 23.
Then again, I just want this year over with!

Yeah he’s starting to get back up to elite level again. Almost a shame the season is shortened because the way he’s building we could of seen something close to his best by round 23.
Then again, I just want this year over with!
I really struggle to agree with this... he might be getting more touches - but ALL of his touch and vision seems to be gone. His delivery is utterly appalling, absolutely worst in the team, I routinely see him miss targets by metres, and seems incapable of engaging in attacking play.

I'm hoping it will come back, but geez I can't see it, I knew he'd be rusty but he looks like a completely different player. I really hope for him (and us!) he can recapture those instinctual things.

I really struggle to agree with this... he might be getting more touches - but ALL of his touch and vision seems to be gone. His delivery is utterly appalling, absolutely worst in the team, I routinely see him miss targets by metres, and seems incapable of engaging in attacking play.

I'm hoping it will come back, but geez I can't see it, I knew he'd be rusty but he looks like a completely different player. I really hope for him (and us!) he can recapture those instinctual things.

Thought I was going insane for a minute.
I’m not sure if T.Mitch routinely taking marks deep in defensive 50 is something of design or not, but holy s**t I’m already in tears before the ball is even kicked after it.
The one when scores were 19-1 was a huge momentum killer for us on the weekend, then another later in the game.

His kicks have basically no penetration - however I honestly don’t think his decision making by foot is that great either.

Definitely feel like he’s overthinking as a player this year quite a lot and it’s hurting his instinctive nature of playing. Wonder if it’s a S.Mitchell related thing? Who knows

Thought I was going insane for a minute.
I’m not sure if T.Mitch routinely taking marks deep in defensive 50 is something of design or not, but holy sh*t I’m already in tears before the ball is even kicked after it.
The one when scores were 19-1 was a huge momentum killer for us on the weekend, then another later in the game.

His kicks have basically no penetration - however I honestly don’t think his decision making by foot is that great either.

Definitely feel like he’s overthinking as a player this year quite a lot and it’s hurting his instinctive nature of playing. Wonder if it’s a S.Mitchell related thing? Who knows
I think it's similar to how he was early 2017.

When you there is more consistency playing and training together and structured game plan you when you win the ball in a stoppage you know exactly what your options will be so you can immediately check for the handball to the attacking player outside, if the are covered, check for the spare behind the stoppage if not there bomb long forward etc...

When teams are playing well and everything is clicking everyone just knows these scenarios and just give the first option.

Our midfield are still a work in progress so nobody seems to know where to be, and all around the ground we have instability in roles and guys either past it, out of form, developing or raw. And guys like Day and Frost who are playing well may not necessarily always be where teammates expect them to be and also don't know where to expect their options to be.

This is why we have guys nit knowing what to do and handballing to players under pressure. Or going back behind the mark in stead of playing on.

When the mids gel and the side is stable Tom can just win the ball and know where his outlets are. At the moment its a mess.

Thankfully he seems to be able to still win the ball, next year with proper length games and better training he can get back to being an elite player.

Expecting him to get "back to his best" is a bit unfair as his best is a brownlow and record breaking season. Even with no injury it's silly to expect that. Crawford never got back to 99 form even though he played another 8 years.

I think it's similar to how he was early 2017.

When you there is more consistency playing and training together and structured game plan you when you win the ball in a stoppage you know exactly what your options will be so you can immediately check for the handball to the attacking player outside, if the are covered, check for the spare behind the stoppage if not there bomb long forward etc...

When teams are playing well and everything is clicking everyone just knows these scenarios and just give the first option.

Our midfield are still a work in progress so nobody seems to know where to be, and all around the ground we have instability in roles and guys either past it, out of form, developing or raw. And guys like Day and Frost who are playing well may not necessarily always be where teammates expect them to be and also don't know where to expect their options to be.

This is why we have guys nit knowing what to do and handballing to players under pressure. Or going back behind the mark in stead of playing on.

When the mids gel and the side is stable Tom can just win the ball and know where his outlets are. At the moment its a mess.

Thankfully he seems to be able to still win the ball, next year with proper length games and better training he can get back to being an elite player.

Expecting him to get "back to his best" is a bit unfair as his best is a brownlow and record breaking season. Even with no injury it's silly to expect that. Crawford never got back to 99 form even though he played another 8 years.
Spot on!
I have that feeling that he's going to come back so hungry to dominate being the competitive beast that he is. It will be refreshing not hearing week after week about how he's coming off such a terrible injury but then again 16 games later and on it goes. He is vital to our game next year

View attachment 968725

Got better as the year went on. Think we underestimate how good his season was coming back from that horrible injury. 2021 should be exciting.
Surprisingly good year.

Obviously doesn’t speak to his disposal efficiency, but the fact he still got his hands on it so much despite being used differently says a lot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4th in the comp for winning the footy. Yet people wanna trade him. Imagine our midfield without him 🤷‍♂️
We finished bottom 4. Worpel and to some extent cousins can do a good job. What amazes me is what we gave up to get Mitchell/JOM/Wingard. We have cousins/Worpel/Finn and getting Downie and people still feel our midfield is not good enough to use first pick on this year's draft on a midfielder.

We forget that pre-season there was still some doubt if he would be ready to even be playing R1. And then amazingly he played every game. Not many would have banked on that. The guy is a machine. Both the club and Tom would be really pleased with his contribution this year considering.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back