Player Watch #30 Alex Neal-Bullen - signed to 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

What the **** kind of 22yo refers to their GF as their ‘partner’
Lever was talking about kids when he joined the club last year and he is 21

Oct 19, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good on nibbler for finding an interest and passion to study outside of footy, which is also helping others.

But...

The infiltration of the phrase "learnings" that has creeped into every footballers vocabulary needs to stop.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Seems to be the standard term now, from what I've noticed. Don't hear people talking about their "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" much, whether they're older or younger. Seems an improvement to me.

Seems to be the standard term now, from what I've noticed. Don't hear people talking about their "girlfriend" or "boyfriend" much, whether they're older or younger. Seems an improvement to me.
Weirds me out, but I do see the upside.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Young people weird you out. That's understandable. No one likes young people. You seem young to me, too.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne

Its kind of annoying. There was a time when anyone under 30 referred to a 'partner', it was better than even money they were in a same sex relationship and it was a nice subtle signal, in the same way girlfriend or boyfriend gave information.
Anyone over 30, partner was just that they weren't married.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like to think of it like this:

Girlfriend/boyfriend: someone you're seeing but don't live with
Partner someone you're in a relationship with that you live with that you haven't popped the question to.

i use to always assume when someone said partner they were gay.

Seems to be the norm now though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

space_cowboy

All Australian
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's all the rage now... non-gender specific... because it's offensive.... apparently.

No idea why.

BF is the nearest thing to social media that I use, so I'm completely dependent on you guys to keep me up to date on the latest fads and tell me what opinions I'm supposed to have.

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's all the rage now... non-gender specific... because it's offensive.... apparently.

No idea why.

BF is the nearest thing to social media that I use, so I'm completely dependent on you guys to keep me up to date on the latest fads and tell me what opinions I'm supposed to have.

Opinions are also offensive now too. Please stop having them.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

JP2

Club Legend
Apr 7, 2003
Prague
AFL Club
Melbourne
For those interested in the partner vs girlfriend terminological debate, Steven Pinker wrote about this phenomenon in "The Stuff of Thought". Basically, due to accidents of history or human psychology, we're often left with an absence of appropriate words that would pick out very definite or useful concepts that we would otherwise expect to exist. In this case of the concept of "a person with whom I'm in a serious, monogamous relationship, but to whom I'm not yet married", the words we use to denote it are either too casual ("boyfriend" / "girlfriend"), too sterile or legalistic ("partner"), or just plain ridiculous ("paramour"). A particular reason for this may be the fact that, historically, pre-marital relationships were either delegitimised or stigmatised, meaning there was never the opportunity for a word without inappropriate connotations to arise in the English speaking world as a neutral signifier of this concept.

A similar lexical gap arose, for what it's worth, due to our squeamishness about excrement. Owing to its stigma in polite society, we don't have a neutral word to denote this concept that is not childish in connotation ("poo"), clinical in connotation ("faeces" / "excrement") or vulgar in connotation ("Carlton FC").

For those interested in the partner vs girlfriend terminological debate, Steven Pinker wrote about this phenomenon in "The Stuff of Thought". Basically, due to accidents of history or human psychology, we're often left with an absence of appropriate words that would pick out very definite or useful concepts that we would otherwise expect to exist. In this case of the concept of "a person with whom I'm in a serious, monogamous relationship, but to whom I'm not yet married", the words we use to denote it are either too casual ("boyfriend" / "girlfriend"), too sterile or legalistic ("partner"), or just plain ridiculous ("paramour"). A particular reason for this may be the fact that, historically, pre-marital relationships were either delegitimised or stigmatised, meaning there was never the opportunity for a word without inappropriate connotations to arise in the English speaking world as a neutral signifier of this concept.

A similar lexical gap arose, for what it's worth, due to our squeamishness about excrement. Owing to its stigma in polite society, we don't have a neutral word to denote this concept that is not childish in connotation ("poo"), clinical in connotation ("faeces" / "excrement") or vulgar in connotation ("Carlton FC").
Bravo

Apr 10, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne

Post of the year. Award it now.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne

This is incredible.

The true definition of a shitpost. Well done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back