Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
1552130741979.png

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Incredible. We got a ready made wingman at pick 700 in the draft. 10 15 year player. Has all the tools. How does he get overlooked

Slight modification FG.:thumbsu:

Slight modification FG.:thumbsu:

Really though. Was it that there were question marks over his kicking? He was a bit skinny? You can't teach football. As a public school educated individual I have never enjoyed the idea of the elitists at Melbourne University, but thank God their engineering degree is good enough for Bailey

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Really though. Was it that there were question marks over his kicking? He was a bit skinny? You can't teach football. As a public school educated individual I have never enjoyed the idea of the elitists at Melbourne University, but thank God their engineering degree is good enough for Bailey
If we compare him to Ryan Clarke he runs just as hard, is a bit quicker, is a lot harder at the contest and is a better user of the footy.

If we compare him to Ryan Bastinac he is quicker and harder and works harder defensively. Basti is a better user of the footy, but not by much at all.

The only logical explanation I have for his supposed low rating by recruiters is that they thought he will not fill out and his disposal is not up to scratch, which for what his frame dictates re his position, an outside runner, means no AFL career.

After two JLT games the jury is still out, and will be until he performs at AFL level, but everything Scott has done so far has gone a loooooong way of dispelling any doubts that recruiters may have had. He is smart, plays within himself re ball use, bust his arse and is as hard as a cats head. This seems to be a case of recruiters over emphasising his weaknesses and under emphasising his strengths.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Really though. Was it that there were question marks over his kicking? He was a bit skinny? You can't teach football.

The answer to your question is to ignore clueless morons.

I could assemble 5 analysts from this board to commentate & analyse football, and they would do a far better job than the best the media can put together.

He is smart, plays within himself re ball use, bust his arse and is as hard as a cats head. This seems to be a case of recruiters over emphasising his weaknesses and under emphasising his strengths.
Gut feel says this happens a lot.

A natural footballer over a one trick pony every day of the week for me thanks.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
If we compare him to Ryan Clarke he runs just as hard, is a bit quicker, is a lot harder at the contest and is a better user of the footy.

If we compare him to Ryan Bastinac he is quicker and harder and works harder defensively. Basti is a better user of the footy, but not by much at all.

The only logical explanation I have for his supposed low rating by recruiters is that they thought he will not fill out and his disposal is not up to scratch, which for what his frame dictates re his position, an outside runner, means no AFL career.

After two JLT games the jury is still out, and will be until he performs at AFL level, but everything Scott has done so far has gone a loooooong way of dispelling any doubts that recruiters may have had. He is smart, plays within himself re ball use, bust his arse and is as hard as a cats head. This seems to be a case of recruiters over emphasising his weaknesses and under emphasising his strengths.

IMO, he only went late because recruiters knew we were going to take him no matter what. IMO, his true seeding was in the 15-25 range, but when you analyse what happened past pick 25, there were 11 interstate picks which weren't going to bother with a kid nominating a Victorian club, 4 other father-son/academy picks, leaving only 9 other picks. The Bulldogs nominated a mature bloke at 45, WE overlooked him at 46, and Geelong weren't going to nominate a kid that snubbed them at pick 48.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Gut feel says this happens a lot.

A natural footballer over a one trick pony every day of the week for me thanks.

It's just more supercoach type idiocy.

I'll take a bloke with 75% DE & 30 touches over a bloke with 90% DE & 18 touches every day of the week.

FFS, Bailey's first two competitive hit outs have returned 76.2% & 73.7% disposal efficiency, and you can put your life on that only improving.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Brilliant. Very happy with the way he has made his mark in such little time. Round 1 berth beckons.

Straight in the deep end too. He should be allocated hard one on one lock down roles for the entire season.

Put him on the wing with Brad Hill.

Straight in the deep end too. He should be allocated hard one on one lock down roles for the entire season.

Put him on the wing with Brad Hill.

It's heartening that I go straight to "Brad Hill can do this, Brad Hill can do that" and think of pace, endurance, general running ability etc, and think, Bailey as a first year player can't really do that yet

But then you think about it and he has the endurance to run all day at Alberton in a fairly free flowing encounter, suggesting he'd probably be able to go with Hill for the day

Hill is the world's biggest cat so Bailey would have it over him in a contested situation

Probably straight line speed is the only area where I wouldn't look at Bailey and think "this is more than just a learning experience for you and probably more a genuine opportunity for you to be better than your opponent on the day"

In round 1 of year 1

Back