Player Watch #8: Bailey Scott

Remove this Banner Ad

Have you noticed the positive spin from the John Ralphs of the footy world selling to the Carlton masses that their turn is coming.

Of course it is. The problem is that their turn has been coming for 15 years now.

Ahern, LDU, Bailey, Jy, Jed, BBB, Polec, Thomas... when was the last time the future looked so bright?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

When we recruited Hansen, Urqhuhart, Goldstein, Thomas, Edwards, Adams, Campbell in 2006,
Tarrant, Greenwood, Thompson, Grima and Garlett in 2007,
Ziebell, Wright, Anthony, Delaney in 2008,
Cunnington, Bastinac, Black, Macmillan, Kennedy, Daw in 2009
and Atley, Harper, the better Delaney, Pedersen and Mullett in 2010

I excluded a lot of players we picked up that were longer shots that didn't last very long. Here we are 9 years now after and who is left? Goldstein, Tarrant, Thompson, Ziebell, Wright, Cunnington, Macmillan, Daw and Atley. That is 7 out of 27 players who showed something or who we had high expectations of.

A lot can go right, a lot can go wrong as well. We can't just assume talent in will lead to success. In fact, despite us having internally and externally recognised as drafting well for a long period of time, we have struggled to even make the finals in most years.

Development is probably something significantly harder than identifying talent. If we look at the first 3 rounds of draftees in recent times:

2012: Garner, Jacobs, Wood, Wilkins, Currie and Hine
2013: McDonald, Dumont, Brown
2014: Durdin, Nielson, EVW (Preuss as a rookie)
2015: McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner
2016: Simpkin, Watson, Williams (Larkey 5th round, Zurhaar rookie)
2017: LDU, Walker

Our 1st round picks from that group have to lets be honest been considerably underwhelming to date on-field. It is a bit hard on LDU as his body wasn't really ready for AFL footy and it was probably a bit unfair to dump that on him last year, I think he will come good, however, we do seem to have a development problem and it takes us a long time to identify roles for players and get them up to speed. Jacobs was recruited to be a ball player, McDonald a midfielder, Durdin and McKay as forwards, Clarke and Simpkin as a midfielders.

We need to do better with our development, a lot better. I am optimistic about the players you have listed and others you haven't. Developing players is always hit or miss, but you would expect a lot more from very good prospects overall. We can't afford to be firing many blanks as we have very limited access to great talent in the draft.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Of course it is. The problem is that their turn has been coming for 15 years now.

Can everyone just stop this.

The universe exists only to collect all our ridicule about another club and jam it up back up our arse with an incongruous premiership for them.

If you don't believe - just go back and live 2016 or 2017 all over again.

Enough. We all know city hall with do "whatever it takes" to protect and nurture their favourite sprogs.

The universe exists only to collect all our ridicule about another club and jam it up back up our arse with an incongruous premiership for them.

Enough. We all know city hall with do "whatever it takes" to protect and nurture their favourite sprogs.
From my point of view 2016 and 2017 were nearly the worst possible outcomes. I'd rather a Collingwood back to back than these two.
What's worse, Richmond look like being up for a while, unlike those try hards from Western Oval...

benbanjo

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Apart from the bolded ones, we really haven't had much from them. Too early to tell with the 2017 draft although i have seen some promising things.

You may as well include the 2018 lot with TT, Scott and Taylor.
But I completely agree with your post. Development is an issue, as well as recruiting injury prone kids. Hibberd and Garner for example...
But Clarke and Wagner could have developed into something. Same with Nielsen and Durdin (I am almost resigned that the latter won't make it either)

Apart from the bolded ones, we really haven't had much from them. Too early to tell with the 2017 draft although i have seen some promising things.
You included Williams in your bolded list - after he's been delisted?

I'm still really excited about what Willy Walker has to offer. Up until his knee injury late last year he was looking mercurial. It has been disconcerting however how long he's been taking to recover from what we told was an innocuous injury where he'd escaped any major damage.

Feb 19, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Hell we still did it last year after the Gaff business.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I'm still really excited about what Willy Walker has to offer. Up until his knee injury late last year he was looking mercurial. It has been disconcerting however how long he's been taking to recover from what we told was an innocuous injury where he'd escaped any major damage.
It was a PCL. Same as EVW except he had bruising which was hindering recovery.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Gerard Healy ‘on the couch’ just nominated Bailey Scott as the young player to watch. Also said he steal of the draft as all clubs could have bid on him.
big wrap

Like a broken clock..................

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
For posterity, when the link goes stale:

AFL 2019: Young Kangaroo Bailey Scott has the potential to be the ‘steal of the draft

March 19, 2019 3:00pm
Sarah Ollie

70094054f2a99125cc12b03a8bf790ec

He didn’t hear his name read out until Pick 49.

But North Melbourne recruit Bailey Scott has the potential to be the “steal of the draft”, according to Brownlow medallist Gerard Healy.
The young Kangaroo’s pre-season form has him gunning for a Round One debut — not bad for a player that was left until the midway point of the draft to hear his name called out.

“This one I think really has the capacity to embarrass the recruiting fraternity,” Healy said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.

“I know he’s a father-son, but plenty of people could have nominated for him early.

“Bailey Scott has come in and absolutely dominated for North Melbourne in the two JLTs.

“He won it on the inside, he won it on the outside, he tackled ferociously, he kicked goals.

“Already he looks like the steal of the draft to me. Good luck to the Kangaroos, you’ve got yourself a winner.”

Scott was in the unique position of being tied to two AFL clubs as a father-son selection — North Melbourne and Geelong — as well as the Gold Coast Suns as an Academy prospect.

The son of Robert Scott, who played more than 100 games at the Kangaroos and Cats, grew up in Broadbeach, meaning he was attached to three clubs before the draft began.

But Scott nominated Arden Street as his destination of choice in October.

“It would be exciting to have the opportunity to play at North Melbourne where my father played in a premiership,” Scott said late last year.

“My education is important to me and the potential opportunities to study in my selected field in Melbourne were attractive.”

Scott kicked two goals from 19 disposals against Port Adelaide last weekend to firm his chances for a debut against Fremantle at Optus Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...WFeeCN43L0g6HJ2zrzrWRRPj2nAY6VypxBKiOBUoBTpd8

Odd, Sarah Olle question lacks her usual wildly inappropriate and uncomfortable taken from Bay13 style quasi troll question:

"So Bailey, after the real father-son talent in Nick Blakey said no to the Roos, which big name recruit do you think you'll miss out on at the end of this year?"

Odd, Sarah Olle question lacks her usual wildly inappropriate and uncomfortable taken from Bay13 style quasi troll question:

"So Bailey, after the real father-son talent in Nick Blakey said no to the Roos, which big name recruit do you think you'll miss out on at the end of this year?"

Journalist accreditations are inside Korn Flake boxes these days

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back