Traded #30: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - 🚨 traded to the Pear, thanks for your service

30 - zerk.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Pick 8, 84859300

Last edited:
Slow as * and his game sense is off. I'm not a massive VFL attendee, but when I've been he's looked good. Not prepared to write him off after limited games just yet, but not sold.

MarkJohnson#1

Premiership Player
Nov 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Slow as fu** and his game sense is off. I'm not a massive VFL attendee, but when I've been he's looked good. Not prepared to write him off after limited games just yet, but not sold.

Agreed. Has looked great in the VFL the last couple of years, needs more time. Another two years for mine before a definitive call can be made.

May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
With the majority that accepts the jury is still well and truly out on Brandon as a long term AFL player.

His decision making with his current skill set is just not going to cut it long term. Has too often made a mistake that has directly cost us a goal.

In saying that, he is only 22 and has AFL experience already as a KPD. Would like to think that barring some tragedy of confidence and improvement he will still have 2 years (2021 & 2022) on the list and we reassess then.

Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
With the majority that accepts the jury is still well and truly out on Brandon as a long term AFL player.

His decision making with his current skill set is just not going to cut it long term. Has too often made a mistake that has directly cost us a goal.

In saying that, he is only 22 and has AFL experience already as a KPD. Would like to think that barring some tragedy of confidence and improvement he will still have 2 years (2021 & 2022) on the list and we reassess then.

Unfortunately probably lacks a few cm in height to play genuine FB, can we play a defence with Brand - Zerk-Thatcher - Ridley - Francis?

I would not have said he has made any more mistakes in the back half than some of his more experienced team mates. He has played under 10 games. He will make mistakes. Even more so when he is playing in a side that leaves the back half exposed. I think his skills have been good enough as well. His disposal efficiency is actually just over 80 and his kicking efficiency is 76.8. He also rates in the average bracket for defensive one on one.

My question mark is he seems to be s**t truck slow pace wise so he can not go with the quicker forwards and he is not a brute and there is a question on if he could be.

Unfortunately probably lacks a few cm in height to play genuine FB, can we play a defence with Brand - Zerk-Thatcher - Ridley - Francis?
It's not his height that's the issue, it's his strength. Rory Lobb had 11 cm on him yet all his goals came about when he was rucking against Bellchambers. We can easily play with that group, as long as he puts on weight and builds strength to be the Full Back we need.

I would not have said he has made any more mistakes in the back half than some of his more experienced team mates. He has played under 10 games. He will make mistakes. Even more so when he is playing in a side that leaves the back half exposed. I think his skills have been good enough as well. His disposal efficiency is actually just over 80 and his kicking efficiency is 76.8. He also rates in the average bracket for defensive one on one.

My question mark is he seems to be sh*t truck slow pace wise so he can not go with the quicker forwards and he is not a brute and there is a question on if he could be.
It's probably my biggest concern of his. He'd be comfortably one of the worst kicks at the club for me and he does make some horrible errors.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
A lot of people here are a bit quick to quit on the Zerk. Needs a proper run at it, was in the team in round one before his naughty sleepover ruined any hope he had. Needs to play 15+ games in 2021 to establish himself.

What he needs to establish himself is 3 yards of pace or the size and strength to play as slow as he is.

It's probably my biggest concern of his. He'd be comfortably one of the worst kicks at the club for me and he does make some horrible errors.

Not sure how you can kick at 76.8 % and be one of the worst kicks in the club. Even more so when you only average just over 5 kicks.

Not sure how you can kick at 76.8 % and be one of the worst kicks in the club. Even more so when you only average just over 5 kicks.
Goes to show how worthless that particular stat is.

Goes to show how worthless that particular stat is.
Really ? is that what you are going to come up with ?
Maybe it shows that you see one or two bad things and you think there is something that is not there.

Really ? is that what you are going to come up with ?
Maybe it shows that you see one or two bad things and you think there is something that is not there.
Any kick 40+ metres that isn't a direct mark is considered an effective disposal. The majority of his kicks would be doing just that, long down the line to a pack.

Any kick 40+ metres that isn't a direct mark is considered an effective disposal. The majority of his kicks would be doing just that, long down the line to a pack.

So how many of our defenders where forced to kick long out of defense because they had no options ?
Did we play well enough for a 10 game defender to have confidence moving the ball from the last line of defense ?
Was his kicking / decision making worse than Francis or Hurley ?
Was his disposal a problem in the VFL last year ?

I can answer the last 3 for you. No!
As usual Eth you get the blinkers on and that is it.

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon

Perfect example of someone who is not a great kick but who works within his limitations and, as a result, doesn't turn the ball over.

He's never going to set the game up with his kicking but he's reliable with the ball.

Edit: when I say he is not a great kick, it's clear from his kicking action that he's not a natural. There are basically no players who kick the ball with actions like that who are regarded as good kicks and there is nothing different about BZT in this regard. Unlike Parish, for example, BZT operates within his limitations and doesn't spray the ball all over the place as a result (despite being a worse kick).

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
How has this bloke not got himself in the position to be a direct swap for Stewart? I would've thought looking around its fairly obvious to him that he's playing for his career this year. Has he thrown everything at this pre season? Is he working hard enough on his game? What an oppurtunity with all our key position injuries and he still doesn't look like cracking the 22. From the outside it looks like he's coasting his way to a career in the SANFL. If he doesn't play these games that Stewart is injured for then surely the papers are stamped.

Aug 15, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Port Adelaide
How has this bloke not got himself in the position to be a direct swap for Stewart? I would've thought looking around its fairly obvious to him that he's playing for his career this year. Has he thrown everything at this pre season? Is he working hard enough on his game? What an oppurtunity with all our key position injuries and he still doesn't look like cracking the 22. From the outside it looks like he's coasting his way to a career in the SANFL. If he doesn't play these games that Stewart is injured for then surely the papers are stamped.

Couldnt agree more

Its very surprising i remember when a few on here rated him and had high hopes

If were considering playing Reid after 15-18 months off, hardly a strong preseason and with 2 other kids who havent played in 15-18 months for round 1 then id suggest his stamp has been inked

Couldnt agree more

If were considering playing Reid after 15-18 months off, hardly a strong preseason and with 2 other kids who havent played in 15-18 months for round 1 then id suggest his stamp has been inked
Unfortunately he seems to be exposed a bit at senior level because he lacks a metre of pace. It is a shame because he looks really promising at VFL level.

I think that the coaching staff are putting a premium on disposal out of defence this year. Zerk will do better trying to make it as a forward if he wants games this year.

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Couldnt agree more

We surely don't risk damaging Reid for the sake of a few games in a rebuilding side? If Hooker plays forward as Truck suggests, BZT has to be the man, whatever his faults are. If we throw away Reid's development because we expect too much too soon and he injures himself, we take a step to condemning ourselves to the mediocrity carousel yet again.

We surely don't risk damaging Reid for the sake of a few games in a rebuilding side? If Hooker plays forward as Truck suggests, BZT has to be the man, whatever his faults are. If we throw away Reid's development because we expect too much too soon and he injures himself, we take a step to condemning ourselves to the mediocrity carousel yet again.
Even though I’m beginning to think neither play round 1, I don’t think playing Reid in round 1 specifically would hinder his development. He’d probably be playing on another debutant.

He’s pretty bloody slow, I could certainly see him making it and 10 years ago he’s probably a monty for 150 games but if we’re going smaller and more agile he’s not a great fit. Having said that with no Hurley I’d be picking him

Ati Tude

Club Legend
Mar 20, 2018
AFL Club
Essendon
BZT is listed at 195cm. Same as Ridley. Francis and Laverde are 193cm each. If Reid ain't ready, then I wouldn't bother with BZT unless he shows some VFL form. Ridley will need to play key position and rely on others playing tall. Will give us more speed out of defence too. If things aren't going well, then throw Hooker back. Easy.

Back