Traded #30: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - 🚨 traded to the Pear, thanks for your service

30 - zerk.jpg

Contract Status: Out of contract 2023
My Boy Draft 2023: Pick 8, 84859300

Last edited:

FlyingV

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2012
AFL Club
Essendon
BZT is listed at 195cm. Same as Ridley. Francis and Laverde are 193cm each. If Reid ain't ready, then I wouldn't bother with BZT unless he shows some VFL form. Ridley will need to play key position and rely on others playing tall. Will give us more speed out of defence too. If things aren't going well, then throw Hooker back. Easy.
What? Since when is Laverde 193cms tall! I thought he was like 189 or something

fairbump_playon

Premiership Player
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
We surely don't risk damaging Reid for the sake of a few games in a rebuilding side? If Hooker plays forward as Truck suggests, BZT has to be the man, whatever his faults are. If we throw away Reid's development because we expect too much too soon and he injures himself, we take a step to condemning ourselves to the mediocrity carousel yet again.
With our draft crop this really is the debate of 2021.

If they don’t get enough games we are hindering their development. If they are chucked in Jack Watts style when they can’t physically cope we could harm their confidence / development / drug habits.

So is the key question physical development? Or do they need exposed form as well? How developed is enough, and they have all missed so much footy.

I reckon the invisible dimension is their personal character. The coaching staff would be considering how confident and resilient each of them is. Can they emotionally handle some tough days at the office early on? Possibly a very different story for each of them.

I am erring on the side of play them unless there is a clear reason not to.

Last edited:

Desync

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Damn, I remember having such high hopes for this kid! I remember the first time seeing him thinking he had so much talent.

Vass38

All Australian
May 31, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Essendon
I dont think he's been too bad the games I've seen him play - and with Hurley and Stewart out I think we almost have to play the Zerk...
Hope he gets a run not sure why lots of people seem to be writing him off before the season has even started...!!

DapperJong

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts SFA Good Friday Appeal Spooderman Meme Medal Pantskyle BeanCoiNFT Investor
Feb 11, 2015
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Juventus
I dont think he's been too bad the games I've seen him play - and with Hurley and Stewart out I think we almost have to play the Zerk...
Hope he gets a run not sure why lots of people seem to be writing him off before the season has even started...!!
Yeah not writing him off, but it seems he has work to do. Not all of his games have been bad.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Needs to work with a running coach no way someone with his leaping ability should lack so much agility. Actually think he’s ok in a straight line the problem is it doesn’t matter as it takes him forever to get going and any change of direction puts him back to stationary.

Not even an emergency.

Long way to go yet, but if he can’t get a gig now... Writing on the wall?
He’s underdone. Played first game last week and started to come good towards end. Better off getting one more run before throwing him to the wolves because then he will have the writing on the wall

Not even an emergency.

Long way to go yet, but if he can’t get a gig now... Writing on the wall?
I am not sold on him but it is round 1 and he is only 22.

Brandon Zerk-Thatcher
“He was a lot better this week. Last week he blew out the cobwebs, but this week his positioning was a lot better. He won a lot of contests, spoiled well and played a pretty solid game for a defender.”

Sounds a bit more promising if he's looking to get back into the AFL side..

Sep 22, 2011
Your girlfriend's dreams
AFL Club
Essendon
Ess website has him as 191cm, the app at 193cm. Apps make you taller I guess.

AFL heights are a mess. Different sources vary a lot. I don’t think there’s any official measurement done. Some sources are probably from draft stats which may be even older than that, well before some players stop growing... others from different times.

Ridley is the same - he’s listed between 192 and 196 in different places.

"'Thatchy' started the game really well with three intercept marks. He pretty much played a full game and looked good. He made a couple of skill errors but competed really hard. His positioning was a lot better than the week before, and he had a solid game."

ghostdog

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 18, 2008
gondawanaland
AFL Club
Essendon
Not sure who BZT was on. He always seemed to be tracking Max King. BZT took 3 marks to King's 5 and had 15 disposals to King's 8. BZT went at 93%. I didn't really notice him do much wrong. If he was on King he had a solid game

Not sure who BZT was on. He always seemed to be tracking Max King. BZT took 3 marks to King's 5 and had 15 disposals to King's 8. BZT went at 93%. I didn't really notice him do much wrong. If he was on King he had a solid game
Not sure they always line up on the same player but he did play a lot on King. Like you say,solid game. Some really good stuff with a few nervy mistakes. One plus for me is he is spoiling more rather than flying for marks all the time.

Not sure they always line up on the same player but he did play a lot on King. Like you say,solid game. Some really good stuff with a few nervy mistakes. One plus for me is he is spoiling more rather than flying for marks all the time.
Also like that he is taking no risks with his kicks. Took safe options and didn’t overcook any of his passes.

Big Slam

Debutant
Aug 9, 2020
AFL Club
Essendon
He’s added some good size to his frame, which is great to see.

Also kept his feet well all game. In previous seasons he’s seemed to go to ground too quickly/easily/unintentionally, something that’s negated his impact.

I really liked his game yesterday. Not spectacular but really, really solid.

Back