Player Watch #30: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
He's essentially a 4th year player in terms of his physical maturity (having been drafted as a 19 year old).

Hope that we back him as cover.

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
He's essentially a 4th year player in terms of his physical maturity (having been drafted as a 19 year old).

Hope that we back him as cover.
Letting Hartley go should be considered a better list management decision than many give it credit for. BZT should be backed in to play half a doozen games at least. The games that Hartley would have played should he have been retained

BrunoV

Brownlow Medallist
May 5, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Letting Hartley go should be considered a better list management decision than many give it credit for. BZT should be backed in to play half a doozen games at least. The games that Hartley would have played should he have been retained

If there is a better option under a high ball than BZT who is available, I can't think of him.

Moore's go is on the lead.

fairbump_playon

Club Legend
Jun 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Looking forward to seeing what BZT can do in 2020. Will obviously start in the VFL but with the added size, more experience under his wing he should be looking to push for more game senior games sooner rather than later.

Two exceptionally good KPD ahead of him, can they all co - exist in the AFL line up with Francis & Gleeson in the 22 as well or is he waiting for injury to garner an opportunity?
I personally don't feel that the Hurley / Hooker one-two is going to hold far into the year. Either through injury or form.

Yoda_

Brownlow Medallist
May 6, 2007
South East Suburbs
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspurs, Melbourne Vixen
I personally don't feel that the Hurley / Hooker one-two is going to hold far into the year. Either through injury or form.
Hooker in particular is the odd one to work out. He is only 31, is still under contract until 2021 and despite what many feel, played some decent football throughout the year.

Anyways, BZT should be ready to go when called upon. Looks set to play 6+ games next year.

owen87

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Think we'll see him line up at FB at times; I'd hope we manage Hooker throughout the season to give BZT opportunity and to ensure that Hooker is right for finals (if we make it...) instead of having Hooker playing when clearly not OK.

If BZT can show some solid form at AFL level through 6 - 10 games (rests / injuries etc..) then I'd say 2021 is the year he holds down a regular slot while Hooker transitions out. Can't see Hooker playing on at 33 in 2022 other than as a 1 year extension as KPD depth with BZT taking the bulk of the game-time, and Brand likely too young to play AFL yet.

With a bit of luck Francis can become the kind of player that can cover the 2nd best forward and offer his marking presence, whereas at the moment he still needs to be supported by two strong KPD's.

Last edited:
Top Bottom