Traded #30: Brandon Zerk-Thatcher - 🚨 traded to the Pear, thanks for your service

Remove this Banner Ad

He's essentially a 4th year player in terms of his physical maturity (having been drafted as a 19 year old).

Hope that we back him as cover.
Letting Hartley go should be considered a better list management decision than many give it credit for. BZT should be backed in to play half a doozen games at least. The games that Hartley would have played should he have been retained

Letting Hartley go should be considered a better list management decision than many give it credit for. BZT should be backed in to play half a doozen games at least. The games that Hartley would have played should he have been retained
We didn't though. He left.

If there is a better option under a high ball than BZT who is available, I can't think of him.

Moore's go is on the lead.

Looking forward to seeing what BZT can do in 2020. Will obviously start in the VFL but with the added size, more experience under his wing he should be looking to push for more game senior games sooner rather than later.

Two exceptionally good KPD ahead of him, can they all co - exist in the AFL line up with Francis & Gleeson in the 22 as well or is he waiting for injury to garner an opportunity?
I personally don't feel that the Hurley / Hooker one-two is going to hold far into the year. Either through injury or form.

I personally don't feel that the Hurley / Hooker one-two is going to hold far into the year. Either through injury or form.

Hooker in particular is the odd one to work out. He is only 31, is still under contract until 2021 and despite what many feel, played some decent football throughout the year.

Anyways, BZT should be ready to go when called upon. Looks set to play 6+ games next year.

Think we'll see him line up at FB at times; I'd hope we manage Hooker throughout the season to give BZT opportunity and to ensure that Hooker is right for finals (if we make it...) instead of having Hooker playing when clearly not OK.

If BZT can show some solid form at AFL level through 6 - 10 games (rests / injuries etc..) then I'd say 2021 is the year he holds down a regular slot while Hooker transitions out. Can't see Hooker playing on at 33 in 2022 other than as a 1 year extension as KPD depth with BZT taking the bulk of the game-time, and Brand likely too young to play AFL yet.

With a bit of luck Francis can become the kind of player that can cover the 2nd best forward and offer his marking presence, whereas at the moment he still needs to be supported by two strong KPD's.

Last edited:
Was more in reference to Hartley not being at Essendon no matter what way you look at it.
I know but there's literally one way. We offered him a contract. He rejected it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok I have got to ask Lore, how come you post the pic 17min ago and the next post is Nov 21st.

This happens with all the ones I've looked at so far :moustache:
They're called sticky posts. It's a new feature that allows us to select one post to be viewed at the top of every page in the thread. :) On our board we're using them in the player threads to keep important information handy, but you will probably also see them used for mod notices and posts that get updated frequently.

They're called sticky posts. It's a new feature that allows us to select one post to be viewed at the top of every page in the thread. :) On our board we're using them in the player threads to keep important information handy, but you will probably also see them used for mod notices and posts that get updated frequently.
I was wondering what was happening. I just stopped using Tapatalk but when I did I noticed that there was a post like this in the Dyson Heppell thread. It was really confusing because I had it set on infinite scroll. I was so confused :think:

Sorry I asked, I think :moustache:

Sorry I asked, I think :moustache:
Haha it's not a problem, it's new! I think it will be refined a bit more so that it stands out from other posts in the thread in future, at the moment I've changed the font colour to red so it doesn't blend in as much but it would be better with a solid border or break between it and other posts.

I was wondering what was happening. I just stopped using Tapatalk but when I did I noticed that there was a post like this in the Dyson Heppell thread. It was really confusing because I had it set on infinite scroll. I was so confused :think:
Yeah we stuck the fundraising shave post in there so that the link was accessible for everyone without scrolling back to page 20 or whatever. Is it causing issues on Tapatalk? If so Chief should probably be made aware of it so that it can be reported to Tapatalk and fixed up.

If I don't comment but keep opening, how long will it be until it recognises it as an opened thread?

If I don't comment but keep opening, how long will it be until it recognises it as an opened thread?
The sticky remains on every page regardless of whether the thread is read or not. If you're having any other issues it'd be best to ask Chief on the Suggestions and Feedback board.

Haha it's not a problem, it's new! I think it will be refined a bit more so that it stands out from other posts in the thread in future, at the moment I've changed the font colour to red so it doesn't blend in as much but it would be better with a solid border or break between it and other posts.

Yeah we stuck the fundraising shave post in there so that the link was accessible for everyone without scrolling back to page 20 or whatever. Is it causing issues on Tapatalk? If so Chief should probably be made aware of it so that it can be reported to Tapatalk and fixed up.
Not sure if it was issues or just me not paying attention to be honest.

Love this kid. Despite having his colours lowered by a great player a couple times he fought back and won a few one-on-ones. Doesn’t seem to get rattled and just seems to love playing the game.

Great value pick in the 60s I think it was?

Love this kid. Despite having his colours lowered by a great player a couple times he fought back and won a few one-on-ones. Doesn’t seem to get rattled and just seems to love playing the game.

Great value pick in the 60s I think it was?

Thought he went pretty well. A couple of Kennedy's came when Hurley was picking him up and the first goal was more of an issue of the player not picking up the mark up the ground allowing an easy inside 50 entry to a precise spot. Like the fact he kept backing himself.

When you dissect the game BZT was a bit unlucky. Firstly its preseason and even though our pressure was high - for a preseason game that still means it was pretty below par for a real game. So some of the entries came in without a lot of pressure and he got isolated in a lot of one on ones - our defense wasn't as well structured as normal either and wasn't able to help him out much. Plus Kennedy really had a red hot game where he didn't miss a single shot on goal (they weren't super hard or super easy shots) and had his marking hands on.

What I liked about BZT was he stuck to his man pretty closely - mostly just lost out in the strength battles or to some of the subtle push-offs at the right time that Kennedy did to buy himself a little space. He'll learn from that. He kept his head up and actually won some good ball even as the game wore on. Great learning experience for him all up and nothing I saw would prevent me from playing him round 1 - we desperately need to develop a key defender of his size for AFL with Hooker just about done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back