Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor bugger can't take a trick.

I know it's not the norm but I'll be looking to Robbie's journey of 4 shoulder recos before he got regular game time as hope for Charlies future.

Has all the attributes to make it, just needs a little luck.

Makes you wonder if his body is going to be up to it.

There are plenty of examples of players whose soft tissues have been unable to cope with the sport. Are there any examples of players who have just been too prone to breaks to play the game?

Makes you wonder if his body is going to be up to it.

There are plenty of examples of players whose soft tissues have been unable to cope with the sport. Are there any examples of players who have just been too prone to breaks to play the game?
Peter Jonas is one from a long time ago.…..look like being an absolute super star.

Starting to feel like one of those injury cursed talents who's never gonna get a decent crack at it. Alex Johnson comes to mind. Come on Chom, we believe in you mate

Anyone know how he got injured? (Looking at Kayne Turner)

Is there anyone on here with no medical knowledge or understanding of the incident that lead to the injury that can post an ill informed, alarmist assessment of Chom and his injury to set off a cavalcade of baseless speculation about the young mans future prospects in the game?
I think that’s what this thread needs right now.

RF08's Season Review

Games Played: 1
Avg Disposals: 6
Goals: 1
Stat Highlights: nil

Best Game
Round 22 Vs Sydney - 6 disposals, 2 marks, 1 goal

Summary

After an injury interrupted 2020, big things were expected of Charlie in 2021. Unfortunately a lower leg fracture in the pre-season would mean he would once again spend an extended length of time on the sidelines in 2021. When he returned to the field in July he had an immediate impact with a 4 goal half in a practice match against Brisbane, he followed that up by a 2 goal game in the VFL. Only a week later he would make his debut against Sydney. While he didn't have a huge impact it was obvious that he has a huge amount of potential with his contested marking and dynamic movement for a 200cm big man. Unfortunately he didn't play another game after breaking his collar bone at training the following week. Everybody at the club raves about his resilience and professionalism. He will no doubt leave no stone unturned in order to become an AFL player. All he needs is a bit of luck on the injury front. It is expected that his collarbone will be healed prior to the start of the pre-season. Hopefully he can add a few kg's to his frame so he can continue to develop his forward craft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Triple towers ???
I was thinking about the marking power of a forward line like:

HF: JHF - Comben - Zurhaar
FF: CCJ - Larkey - Mahoney

Not including Ford, who is going to be a star and is a strong mark. TT likewise.

Land of the giants, but they would take a lot of marks.

Last edited:
Chom to the back line.

BMac on the gorillas.
Walker on the 2nd tall/resting ruck.
Chom 3rd tall intercepter.
Corr playing small.
Hall rebounding.
Ziebs floating around/filling in the gaps.
Turner lock down back pocket.

I think we will be able to play all of Edwards, CCJ, Comben & Larkey when they're up and running. Edwards & Comben are elite beneath their knees for their size.

Our midfield + 4 blokes that are 200cm+ is mouth watering stuff.

Just reiterates the fact that whoever is playing small forward, needs to bring absolutely manic pressure.

Last edited:
I know there is a fairly strong anti-Knightmare contingent hereabouts but he does have some interesting things to say about mids v Fwds
Basically in the modern game Mids are in the game all the time and Fwds are stoppable because of the new dominance of the interceptor defender
So Mids are more and more valuable
Especially Really Good Mids…..
Like the blokes who have absolutely murdered us over the the last 10 or 15 years
Hopefully we can return the punishment

Remove this Banner Ad

Back