Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - re-signed until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone know roughly what his TOG was today? Assuming he played around 3 quarters, I have him kicking around 6.6 from 5 quarters.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He's close
Definitely a case of when, not if. Really up to the fitness staff and coaches if they want to see him at the highest level this year. Looked like he could easily contribute at AFL level already.

Charlie and Jake are excellent looking specimens. When they link up with Larkey, they could well rival Corey, Carey & Capuano. Yeah, I went there. Add in Zurhaar for the Fridge, Elvis for Sholl and Atu for Winston and we’re sucking diesel.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
654bb3479c84b462ffd25f9b41f8f88a.jpg

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After his four-goal half of football in Brisbane two weeks ago, Comben made his first competitive appearance for the season against Borough, and was effective both forward and in the ruck throughout the day.

He finished with 11 disposals, 5 marks and 2 goals.

Leigh Adams says Comben will continue to improve as he finds fitness, after his extended stint on the sidelines.

“He (Comben) was brilliant today with his ability to get the ball to ground. If he doesn’t mark it you just know he’s giving our smaller guys that opportunity to get in and under,” the North coach said.

“He could have kicked five or six today, but he couldn’t quite convert as he would have wanted to … but he looked a step above today.

“Now he’s starting to get his confidence and fitness to a level where he can compete for four quarters. He’s covering the ground well, getting to and impacting contests - he was super.”

I think maybe the Crows to give him a taste but would rather they took the ultra cautious approach and just worried about day 1 pre-season tbh.

I can understand that viewpoint, so wouldn’t be upset if that’s the decision, however I’m of the opinion that if you’re happy for him to play unrestricted in the VFL you may as well play him in the AFL. I don’t have the data in front of me, but you’re probably only marginally more likely to get injured in an AFL game than VFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back