Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I was riding that kick for goal, I know bittersweet for him given the loss but he hit it flush. Overall I was pretty happy with his game given it was his first crack at seniors. It wouldn't surprise me if we saw significant improvement over his first 15-20 games. Did a lot right.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leave the dog alone. I have a dog looks exactly like that- Jack Russell father and mother cocker spaniel and cavalier cross
Well the dogs face is making me laugh

There’s a photo of him at training this morning without a cast...
Just checked his Twitter and Insta accounts and can't find the above photo there. If he was training this morning where was the photo sourced from?
Bit odd.

Anyway that's not why I'm here.

Was very excited, like all of us to see Charlie finally get on the park on the weekend and his goal after the siren the perfect way to finish off his debut.

My thoughts for a long time however have been around our list management's supreme faith in Charlie to get on the park and show his wares. A few flashes shown during his first game such as his athleticism (the mark that led to his goal), ability below his knees (the handball on the boundary), his speed, aggression and marking abilities are qualities we've seen some very exciting glimpses of over the last month.

So going back to last year's draft many in the industry (obviously outside the four walls of the club) were shocked when we didn't pick up Logan McDonald on the back of parting ways with BBB. Must admit I was initially taken aback as well, however I've kept the faith in Clayton/Luff/Brady and I have no doubt in the strategies they have with our list build, and we can all see what a leader and a star that Phillips is going to be already.

I thought I'd offer the following comparison though on Comben and McDonald just to show how potentially inspired keeping faith in Comben might turn out to be (though we do need his body to hold up).

Comben is essentially a first year player and only about 8 months older than McDonald so he's young and someone we've got a lot of time to work with.
Their basic stats in comparison are:
Comben: dob - 20/07/2001 (20yr) / height 199cm / weight 84kg
McDonald: dob - 4/04/2002 (19yr) / height 196cm / weight 86kg

As you can see there's a lot of similarities there, and respective bodies holding up, it will be extremely interesting to track these two kids in the years to come. I'm sure we'll all be very excited to see the result in the long term (as well as Phillips).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back