Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we will be able to play all of Edwards, CCJ, Comben & Larkey when they're up and running. Edwards & Comben are elite beneath their knees for their size.

Our midfield + 4 blokes that are 200cm+ is mouth watering stuff.

Just reiterates the fact that whoever is playing small forward, needs to bring absolutely manic pressure.

Jason not only provides manic pressure but can actually stick a tackle.

HF:Jason Comben Zurhaar
F: Thomas Larkey Ford

I’d rather we focus our attention on standing on and cracking heads, and kicking goals.

Leave you pressure points to Steven Segal and Tong Po.

Knightmare compared JHF with Hugh Greenwood.

He rightfully gets monstered.

Knightmare compared JHF with Hugh Greenwood.

He rightfully gets monstered.

In and of itself, whatever, I can understand from his point of view, Collingwood has no chance of getting him so talks up Daicos - just as I call Daicos an outside squib because we are no chance of getting him.

But, to me, it’s his constant refusal to acknowledge Thomas. The fact he ranked him at 25 or whatever is just ridiculous all because he didn’t have a set position. Thomas is good in every position, but his dickbrain Collingwood mentality didn’t allow him to see this.

To be fair its hard to find a comparison.
I think he just looked at the stats and spotted JHF's tackle numbers.
I know who tackles a lot. Greenwood.
I reckon Rory Sloane is his framework, but with an added leap, marking abilities and dangerous around goal. I always love watching Rory Sloane play just hard as nails and fast, if you're adding additional weapons to a player like him then look out.

I reckon Rory Sloane is his framework, but with an added leap, marking abilities and dangerous around goal. I always love watching Rory Sloane play just hard as nails and fast, if you're adding additional weapons to a player like him then look out.

I think he’s more Toby Greene then Sloane tbh.

I know there is a fairly strong anti-Knightmare contingent hereabouts but he does have some interesting things to say about mids v Fwds
Basically in the modern game Mids are in the game all the time and Fwds are stoppable because of the new dominance of the interceptor defender
So Mids are more and more valuable
Especially Really Good Mids…..
Like the blokes who have absolutely murdered us over the the last 10 or 15 years
Hopefully we can return the punishment
That's pretty obvious isn't it? Duck was probably the last truly dominant KPF and real match winner.

Since then, the match winners that stand out like him are mids, usually ones who can kick goals and can move forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's pretty obvious isn't it? Duck was probably the last truly dominant KPF and real match winner.

Since then, the match winners that stand out like him are mids, usually ones who can kick goals and can move forward.
good call, but I would still put buddy in that bracket. KPF have dropped off over the last 20 years though

To be fair its hard to find a comparison.
I think he just looked at the stats and spotted JHF's tackle numbers.
I know who tackles a lot. Greenwood.

True, but if you're going to frame yourself as a draft expert the last thing to do is shoehorn a clumsy and incorrect comparison in. I've gone from not seeing much of this guy's draft analysis to now knowing not to pay much attention to his AFL comparisons because this one is so far off base.

Nothing wrong in saying 'this guy is unique' imo, if anything I reckon that'd draw more attention and interest to what he's saying while also being more accurate.

He ran bloody hard in his first game, he was so hungry for the pill, I loved that.

he is gonna benefit heaps off of the new s&c staff, exciting time to be him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back