Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

barefeet? what's the thinking there? Stabilising muscles getting a better workout? Reduce heal lift?
Driving force into the floor instead of your sole of the shoe, stability and can make you stronger its why you see a lot of lifters wearing converse because they get that flat sole. You also feel more in control of your lift. Hope that made sense.

controlling heal lift would most likely placing a small plate under the heel

Driving force into the floor instead of your sole of the shoe, stability and can make you stronger its why you see a lot of lifters wearing converse because they get that flat sole. You also feel more in control of your lift. Hope that made sense.

Cue yelling ‘spread da floor’…

All makes sense. My preference has always been to lift in those 'converse' style flat shoes. Never runners for those reasons. Perhaps he just doesn't own a pair. Curious whether there are benefits to be barefoot over flat/hard soled shoes.

All makes sense. My preference has always been to lift in those 'converse' style flat shoes. Never runners for those reasons. Perhaps he just doesn't own a pair. Curious whether there are benefits to be barefoot over flat/hard soled shoes.
There definitely is, I remember maxing out barefoot and I felt like I was more stable and can put more power into the ground, you can also feel where your weight is distributed when you are shoeless. You can also gain better ankle stability 😃

There definitely is, I remember maxing out barefoot and I felt like I was more stable and can put more power into the ground, you can also feel where your weight is distributed when you are shoeless. You can also gain better ankle stability 😃

Interesting stuff. I will do some more reading on this. Love learning how to keep improving whether that's running or the in the gym. Found this quickly. Seems a good summary. The Complete Science-Backed Guide to Lifting Shoes: Barefoot and Beyond | RunRepeat

Thanks.

Yep, squating/deadlifting in runners is no good for stability and max weight

As for training in bare feet, he's in good company.

arnold-squats.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Always squat and deadlift barefoot crew

Always squat and deadlift barefoot crew
Haha this conversations interesting for me because it's only in the last few couple of months or so that I've realised that I've been doing squats wrong my entire life. I used to do them in runners and lift my heels off the ground at the bottom of the squat. They're so much better now that I can do them properly.

Haha this conversations interesting for me because it's only in the last few couple of months or so that I've realised that I've been doing squats wrong my entire life. I used to do them in runners and lift my heels off the ground at the bottom of the squat. They're so much better now that I can do them properly.

Those are Hindu squats bro. And you know it.

Quit the humble bragging.

I had the same issue and found that putting my heels on 2.5kg plate helped massively :thumbsu:

Good to see comben putting in the hard work early. Could cement his spot in the best 22 (although I don't know who comes out for him) and play multiple games early in 2022.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back