Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I know we are short on numbers in our forward line but is there any thoughts / opinions on when X is back to main ruck duties with CCJ / Goldy.
That we swing Chom to a CHB role ?
He originally came to us as a backman . I see his path a bit like Tarrant who struggled with injuries & continuity for years as a forward. But became almost an AA player at CHB for us . Chom deserves to be playing in the AFL right now . I just see it as high risk low reward persisting with him in what is arguably the most difficult, taxing risk injury position on the field .

I know we are short on numbers in our forward line but is there any thoughts / opinions on when X is back to main ruck duties with CCJ / Goldy.
He originally came to us as a backman . I see his path a bit like Tarrant who struggled with injuries & continuity for years as a forward. But became almost an AA player at CHB for us . Chom deserves to be playing in the AFL right now . I just see it as high risk low reward persisting with him in what is arguably the most difficult, taxing risk injury position on the field .

He was a ruck forward coming out of the juniors.

We need someone up forward and he is the only one coming through. He deserves to be at AFL level but play him where he should be playing. We are a developing side, not a contendor so we have no reason to being buggering around with players positions for the short term.

Never came to us as a backman . He was always a Fwd/Ruck.

Never came to us as a backman . He was always a Fwd/Ruck.
Ok …. I stand to be corrected … maybe I heard somewhere here on BF that he had some previous exposure playing in the backline quite successfully in his juniors .
Even still … I think it’s worth a shot

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our coaching staff are NINKUMPOOPS.

We are screaming out for a big defender to help Mckay out. Chom should be groomed as a CHB now that we have CJ and Edwards as future forwards.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
We see it but they don’t ?
I’m not saying it is a totally easier position (CHB) than (CHF) but it’s been proven successfully in the past with not only Tarrant for us but recently with Sicily , Mc Cartins x2 , Moore etc .

I’m not saying it is a totally easier position (CHB) than (CHF) but it’s been proven successfully in the past with not only Tarrant for us but recently with Sicily , Mc Cartins x2 , Moore etc .
Has always been an easier position.

I think it's more out of what the team needs at the moment.

I'm sick of watching tall forwards lick their lips when they see Walker lining up on them.

He was a ruck forward coming out of the juniors.

We need someone up forward and he is the only one coming through. He deserves to be at AFL level but play him where he should be playing. We are a developing side, not a contendor so we have no reason to being buggering around with players positions for the short term.
I agree that he’s our next one & only forward hope in the long term . But at the moment he’s languishing in the VFL , getting injured , playing 1-2 games & out again .
I’m just saying, just for now to give him some confidence, exposure, continuity etc protect him a bit & put him at CHB & not in the cauldron where he will not get any of the mentioned with our current team and delivery of the ball up forward.

Has always been an easier position.

I think it's more out of what the team needs at the moment.

I'm sick of watching tall forwards lick their lips when they see Walker lining up on them.

And I'm sick of seeing an undersized Zurhaar and a 5 mins to midnight JZ try to impose themselves on contests they aren't big enough for or can't get to. He's a forward, he's close to ready - let's just get him there and in the team before trying to plug a hole and recreating another one.

It is where failed forwards go for a second life. Just as the HB line is where failed small forwards and mids go to get a touch. If he failed as a forward, sure, but lets see what he has first.

Other clubs laugh at us turning elite forward talent into defenders. Charlie has shown he can take grabs and kick bags. He's a forward.

Have you seen him in person Mr Bun? I don't watch VFL so interested to know if he's as special as he's talked up to be. (I hope so)

Like are we are talking Larkey level (very handy but a 2nd forward for mine), or a legit top potentially elite KP forward?

Have you seen him in person Mr Bun? I don't watch VFL so interested to know if he's as special as he's talked up to be. (I hope so)

Like are we are talking Larkey level (very handy but a 2nd forward for mine), or a legit top potentially elite KP forward?
Completely different (and better, IMO) skillset from what I have seen of him in person.

Leads well, crashes packs, takes contested marks but has a knack for being able to generate shots even on a quiet day. Has a genuine aggression that Larkey doesn't have.

I think they'll complement each other really well. On potential I'd have Comben a fair way ahead of Nick, but as we all know potential isn't everything. I mean in one of the worst VFL sides in the league, after about 15 games of footy in five years, the kid is getting 4-5 shots on goal a game.

Larkey is smarter in terms of forward craft though. Probably partly due to lack of continuity for Charlie.

I'm completely on the wagon with him. Only question for me is his body, but he has only played 1 AFL game. I wouldn't be saying our KPF problems are solved by having him on the list, but if he can get his body right it would go a long, long way. There's a lot of ifs with this kid, but IF he gets his body right I don't want his career to be wasted in defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back