Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Buffoonery of its highest order. Poor lad lost a parent at the end of 2020, as well as his raft of injury problems which has plagued him since his junior days.

Another foolish buttermuffin seeking shock value amongst the bigfooty community. What a goal to aspire to, I suggest he also pulls his finger out and pokes you fair in the eye.

You're not that bright are you?

Buffoonery of its highest order. Poor lad lost a parent at the end of 2020, as well as his raft of injury problems which has plagued him since his junior days.

Another foolish buttermuffin seeking shock value amongst the bigfooty community. What a goal to aspire to, I suggest he also pulls his finger out and pokes you fair in the eye.

It was a facetious comment.

Anyone here watched him live at all? I’m keen to know what sort of player he’s meant to be and what his ceiling is?

Anyone here watched him live at all? I’m keen to know what sort of player he’s meant to be and what his ceiling is?
I saw him in our practice match against the Dees last year before everything went to crap. Seems an eon ago now but I was quite impressed. Tall and skinny then but took a couple of marks including a bit of a speccy and kicked a goal from 40 or so. Seemed a lot to look forward to but alas...

I watched him kick 3 on Tarrant and Walker in about 10 minutes of last years preseason intraclub.

He beat Tarrant body to body in a few one on one marks and he was a rake.

Very athletic, quick and good below his knees.

Closest comparison would be someone like Hipwood, but I reckon Comben is much stronger overhead than Hipwood.

Closest comparison would be someone like Hipwood, but I reckon Comben is much stronger overhead than Hipwood.

CC’s a much better kick as well. Will be worth the wait if we can ever have him 100% fit and firing.

I recall reading from GR he’s on track for return to training this/next week?

Love to see get in a full half season even if only at VFL level as a base for next year.

He started running onthe Alter G 3 weeks ago, so I doubt it.

He's "hoping" to play some VFL games by the end of the year.

Work back 8 weeks for full training/mini pre-season, he's probably back to full training around the mid season draft.

Yes, expected to return to the track this week with a likely return to playing after the bye. The club has him down to return ~ round 15 but he thinks he'll be back earlier.

Unusual player, moves a bit like Ben Brown in being tall, long-limbed and agile. Looks to have lesser kicking skill than BB but much more aggression as a key part of his game.

Yes, expected to return to the track this week with a likely return to playing after the bye. The club has him down to return ~ round 15 but he thinks he'll be back earlier.
That would be a welcome bit of news and it's about time we got a little luck with the perennially injured, but I've been saying that for the last ten years.

Unusual player, moves a bit like Ben Brown in being tall, long-limbed and agile. Looks to have lesser kicking skill than BB but much more aggression as a key part of his game.

He's not really like Brown at all mate.

Brown moved like an agile ruckman if that makes sense. He moved well in straight lines. Couldn't move to well laterally when the ball hit the deck.

Comben moves and is built more more like the King twins than Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's not really like Brown at all mate.

Brown moved like an agile ruckman if that makes sense. He moved well in straight lines. Couldn't move to well laterally when the ball hit the deck.

Comben moves and is built more more like the King twins than Brown.

I disagree. Brown was plenty agile off the deck at Werribee. Check out his VFL highlights again.

Only based on highlights I think Comben looks agile for his size but not nearly as explosive as the King twins.

I disagree. Brown was plenty agile off the deck at Werribee. Check out his VFL highlights again.

Only based on highlights I think Comben looks agile for his size but not nearly as explosive as the King twins.

I think the thing to consider with Charlie, is that he grew an enormous amount from 16-18 (GR may know exact). So he was previously a midfield type.

Where he differs from Brown IMO, is CC's better at ground level, more agile & definitely more aggressive (purely from an u18 perspective).

Like I said, Brown was agile in a agile ruckman kind of way. He was great for a 200cm ruckman, super quick for his size and could get the ball below his knees, but still moved like a ruckman.

I mean, it's part of the reason he was moved on? He was a bit of a one trick pony that was almost an empty jumper when the ball hit the deck.

There's absolutely no comparison between Comben and Brown below their knees.

Comben moves like a kid that played in the midfield his whole life (which he has), Brown moved like a forward/ruck (He played in the ruck for his entire junior career and was converted to a Fwd at Werribee)

Any idea if he's been killing it in the gym or just bed rest?
Would prefer if he comes back bigger and stronger than ever.

Any idea if he's been killing it in the gym or just bed rest?
Would prefer if he comes back bigger and stronger than ever.
There was a video only earlier this week, i believe the injury update video with Rawlings, where he was shown to have been spending a lot of time on his upper body.

edit:

I really just wanna see this guy play 1 game.

Because it really is confusing how hard the club has doubled down on him being available this season to improve forward structure considering his injury history so far.

And dont forget about his mother passing away so he would not have been in a good head space for awhile also....l will be glad when he gets to play again for his own sake, both mentally and physically.

I think the thing to consider with Charlie, is that he grew an enormous amount from 16-18 (GR may know exact). So he was previously a midfield type.

Where he differs from Brown IMO, is CC's better at ground level, more agile & definitely more aggressive (purely from an u18 perspective).
If the growth spurt is accurate it also makes sense regarding the stress fractures. Hopefully once he gets through this latest one and gets some high loads into his body, his career can go onto a Tarrant trajectory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back