Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - re-signed until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Good set of mitts, agile and he’s got the scope to develop into a big, strong bloke.

Agreed im warming to him already after some initial scepticism.

Id also add mental strength and never give up attitude having pushed his way through numerous injuries and epitomized by his chase down tackle above.

Foxsports.com.au: Comben has continued to develop across 2019, improving as the season went on. The 18-year-old had a good showing at the Under 18 Championships as Vic Country’s No. 1 ruckman, while he also showed off his mobility closer to goal. Unlike other talls, he is good below his knees and possesses plenty of upside given his 84kg frame.

With the way the game is going and at 199cm I reckon he’ll be primarily a forward and will pinch hit / support in the ruck.
Most primary ticks are already sneaking up to 204-205cm.

I know they say it about all 2 meter draft picks but he really is nimble and has some agility about him.

He’ll put some weight on but I don’t see him getting super massive and lugging a big frame around.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the chase!

I pose this to the esteemed members; if you ever saw a player pull out of a chase like this, even once, would you recruit them? I'm 99% sure I wouldn't.

This should be the minimum standard set. Pull up from a chase and you're having a rest or in the two's next week.

It's like people being seen as extraordinary for doing things for other people for no benefit to themselves. It should be the norm not extraordinary.

On SM-G965F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I might recruit them if it was obvious they Were disappointed in their effort and never did it again

So quite a few phantom drafts had us taking him, and the majority of us dismissed that theory ( me included)
How did Cal et al know this, and how did we, get it wrong ?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Because we assumed if we were getting a tall that it would be a KPD

But this helps a need also as we probably would have needed to draft his type next year

But now with our early picks we get best available next year with no obvious needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back