Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

There's one guarantee in life - draft a kid to NM & watch his first 2-3 years be crippled by serious injury after serious injury. Is it bad luck or bad management? I sincerely hope it's the former. Although do other clubs have so many draftees succumb to stress fractures????

There's a project right there for you, DF.

He will be a brilliant player, once his body adjusts to the rigours of AFL football.

If that's the case then people better set their dials to 2023, and the fact is that many do not have the requisite gratification delay or football experience to understand that. They'll start writing the kid off by the middle of next year based upon NOUGHT.

If that's the case then people better set their dials to 2023, and the fact is that many do not have the requisite gratification delay or football experience to understand that. They'll start writing the kid off by the middle of next year based upon NOUGHT.

Looked pretty good in pre-season, really good for a string bean 18 year old taking one-on-one marks side by side against Tarrant and Walker at times.

I'd hazard a guess he would of played some footy this year if he wasn't injured when Larkey was out and we were resorting to playing Campbell and Xerri as pseudo forwards.

I think he will play a fair bit of footy next year (hopefully)

Looked pretty good in pre-season, really good for a string bean 18 year old taking one-on-one marks side by side against Tarrant and Walker at times.

I'd hazard a guess he would of played some footy this year if he wasn't injured when Larkey was out and we were resorting to playing Campbell and Xerri as pseudo forwards.

I think he will play a fair bit of footy next year (hopefully)

I hope you're correct, but you could put your house on someone with his current frame missing chunks of time with injury, and sometimes that injury can be career defining. You would remember the tragic circumstances of Tom Curran, and I think you would acknowledge that the kid was as promising as Comben.

It's an odd year, we don't have VFL matches, so if we can just develop & put size on the really raw kids then I would prefer they do that.

It's an odd year, we don't have VFL matches, so if we can just develop & put size on the really raw kids then I would prefer they do that.

That might not be the worst thing for a player like him. Be interesting to see whether the medical / science types think there's an argument for significantly reduced actual football for certain body types and physical maturity at these ages.

This forum is becoming very hard to read.

Reading the last page of this and the Dumont thread is just the most blatant example of AFL fans being the worst.

If they're not an out and out star then we need to trade them. If we picked them up in the draft and they haven't played within 10 games then we've wasted our picks.

Hard to read is an understatement.

Reading the last page of this and the Dumont thread is just the most blatant example of AFL fans being the worst.

If they're not an out and out star then we need to trade them. If we picked them up in the draft and they haven't played within 10 games then we've wasted our picks.

Hard to read is an understatement.

Dumont is a great team player, solid as hell and easily best 22. Like many on our list though, the issue is that some of his weaknesses are very similar to some of our other players weaknesses (slow footspeed and inability to provide much pressure because of this). We don't need to get rid of him and 7 other blokes in the senior team that are similar - but we do need to change a several of them and get a better mix.

TT was drafted the year before, and we moved that 1st round pick.

This one was purely a points based speculative trade.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure it was points based.

Finnegan said after the draft we thought it was very even after the first half dozen. If we rated Perez and Comben 1st round talents then it would make sense to trade into this year's draft. The way we kept shuffling back, it would appear that we had our eye on particular players.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Putting it that way, we just got an extra first rounder due to not having to use on TT? That's awesome!

We traded pick 11 for Polec in the 2018 draft to avoid having to use it on Thomas. That pick was used on Zak Butters.

We swapped our 2019 1st rounder for Melbourne’s 2020 1st rounder. This was so Melbourne could draft a player they wanted in Pickett and we could win a points based opportunity by deferring the pick to 2020 and getting Mahony.

So, if we forfeited the opportunity for Flanders, Pickett, or Serong so we could get Mahony and whoever we draft this year with Melbourne’s pick. It has nothing to do with TT who was already on our list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We traded pick 11 for Polec in the 2018 draft to avoid having to use it on Thomas. That pick was used on Zak Butters.

We swapped our 2019 1st rounder for Melbourne’s 2020 1st rounder. This was so Melbourne could draft a player they wanted in Pickett and we could win a points based opportunity by deferring the pick to 2020 and getting Mahony.

So, if we forfeited the opportunity for Flanders, Pickett, or Serong so we could get Mahony and whoever we draft this year with Melbourne’s pick. It has nothing to do with TT who was already on our list.

...and let us hear no more about this again.

This forum is becoming very hard to read.

inagine how hard it is to read for the non-believers.

Having gone through the player threads for 2018, imo, that was when this joint really turned into lord of the flies.

Things are only getting worse for the near term, strap in, locate a positive and cling to it.

This is the recession we have to have.

Not sure it was points based.

Finnegan said after the draft we thought it was very even after the first half dozen. If we rated Perez and Comben 1st round talents then it would make sense to trade into this year's draft. The way we kept shuffling back, it would appear that we had our eye on particular players.

Our selection of 3 2nd rounders in Perez, Comben, and Mahony may very well become great players for our club, and I hope they do, time will tell.

My point is that Serong would fit a need at the Roos and if he becomes a top 5 player at his club vs us getting some role players achieved through trading this pick then we lost the trade.

Our selection of 3 2nd rounders in Perez, Comben, and Mahony may very well become great players for our club, and I hope they do, time will tell.

My point is that Serong would fit a need at the Roos and if he becomes a top 5 player at his club vs us getting some role players achieved through trading this pick then we lost the trade.

Perez fits a need as a running hb with pace and skill. Comben as a flexible KPP.

Time will tell, but with what Finnigan has brought to the club to this point, I'll back him in.

It looked like him still being available surprised us.

200 cm mobile kid who can clunk marks. Could be either I reckon depending on what we draft in the next few years.

Come back in 10kgs time.

Perez fits a need as a running hb with pace and skill. Comben as a flexible KPP.

Time will tell, but with what Finnigan has brought to the club to this point, I'll back him in.

Let’s see, the current list management is not our previous list management team so there’s a start.

Like every draft pick, wherever they are picked have an opportunity to be a long term contributor or a gun player.

No issue with what they did trade wise, let’s see where it lands in 5 years time.

Mahony was the add on for the pick swap, and he’s already a few games in playing seniors so that’s a nice start.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back