Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are people getting their knickers twisted about Flanders?

We used the swapped pick on Perez. So far Neddy has 8 diddly doodly more touches in league footy than Flynn.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Will check but I think Flynn came through the trade with Essendon where they wanted Harrison Jones.

Plenty happened so need to confirm that grey matter in my head hasn’t confused me.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Will check but I think Flynn came through the trade with Essendon where they wanted Harrison Jones.

Plenty happened so need to confirm that grey matter in my head hasn’t confused me.

I tried to work it out and my head nearly fell off.

I'm just going by what is on the North/Melbourne pick swap account that I've seen. They could be full of s**t.

Was rated by Twomey at pick 8 but possibly.

Or maybe they just rated next year plus Mahony higher, guess we’ll never know.

The offer came to us and we seemed flattered to be considered and jumped at it. We didn't have any specific plan for the outcome and had/have all options in play at the time.

Flanders slide seemed to catch us off-guard.

Good oil.

Charlie took some marks in an intra club yeh?

Glad nobody is calling it too early.

Intra clubs.

I probably saw at least 6 of them.

Wasn't really running around on his own, he was playing on Tarrant and Walker.

I'm also talking about hip-to-hip contested marks against two guy 20kg's heavier than him that we know are pretty good AFL defenders from passes kicked on their heads.

No way is he a slam dunk certainty, but he was showing enough to suggest we wouldn't have had to have played Xerri and Campbell as key forward disasters earlier in the season if he was fit.

He still looks like a stick insect, but he has the raw ability, lets hope he's been able to work in the gym reasonably well with the back injury and the year isn't completely lost.

Intra clubs.

I probably saw at least 6 of them.

Wasn't really running around on his own, he was playing on Tarrant and Walker.

I'm also talking about hip-to-hip contested marks against two guy 20kg's heavier than him that we know are pretty good AFL defenders from passes kicked on their heads.

No way is he a slam dunk certainty, but he was showing enough to suggest we wouldn't have had to have played Xerri and Campbell as key forward disasters earlier in the season if he was fit.

Agree with all that although Tarrant and Walker weren't going to work him over the way they would an opponent. Their size advantage probably saw them hold back too.

He might be a gun but there's a bit of OTT stuff in play. I've seen my share of intra clubs too.

Like the day Lindsay Smith ran our premiership defence ragged.

Or when Even Hewitt and Kent Kingsley took apart Mick Martyn and Glenn Archer.

The end result of our pick swap with Melbourne is we have Melbourne's 2020 1st, Ess 2020 2nd and Flynn Perez.

Melbourne got our pick 8, we got their 2020 1st, 2019 pick 26 and 50.

Pick 26 from the Melbourne trade became 30 after compo picks. We traded that to Essendon for Pick 35 (Flynn Perez) and their 2020 2nd round pick.

Last edited:
The end result of our pick swap with Melbourne is we have Melbourne's 2020 1st, Ess 2020 2nd and Flynn Perez.

Melbourne got our pick 8, we got their 2020 1st, 2019 pick 26 and 50.

Pick 26 from the Melbourne trade became 30 after compo picks. We traded that to Essendon for Pick 35 (Flynn Perez) and their 2020 2nd round pick.
And we were never going to use 50 as we only took 3 picks. We used it as the sweetener for *'s 2020 2nd. * traded it to Geelong for GC's 2020 3rd and Geelong's 2020 4th. Geelong used it on Cam Taheny. The * 2nd is probably the pick of those 3 options.

The offer came to us and we seemed flattered to be considered and jumped at it. We didn't have any specific plan for the outcome and had/have all options in play at the time.

Flanders slide seemed to catch us off-guard.

Good oil.

We seem to be the team to take advantage of over the years, guess this sort of attitude suggests why.

I hope you're correct, but you could put your house on someone with his current frame missing chunks of time with injury, and sometimes that injury can be career defining. You would remember the tragic circumstances of Tom Curran, and I think you would acknowledge that the kid was as promising as Comben.

It's an odd year, we don't have VFL matches, so if we can just develop & put size on the really raw kids then I would prefer they do that.
Think I read that he shot up in height over the past couple of years, having formerly played as a mid. Guys in that boat can be injury prone for a while so patience may be required.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“We didn’t get to see him this year but Charlie Comben trains as hard as anyone I’ve seen, so for guys like him to come in and be like that straight away and embrace the culture is good to see and obviously we’ll keep building on that.” - Turner

“We didn’t get to see him this year but Charlie Comben trains as hard as anyone I’ve seen, so for guys like him to come in and be like that straight away and embrace the culture is good to see and obviously we’ll keep building on that.” - Turner
Where is this quote from? i.e. twitter/youtube interview?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back