Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
64B8D3DE-C882-46F5-B0A3-7913113147A4.jpeg

5E2EA9F9-E8A9-4A88-BBD4-BB1B7D380CBC.jpeg

Good timing in his leap (which is an absolutely fantastic starting point) coupled with strong mitts. That's a bloody good skillset for a fast, high leaping, athletic kid. If he can get his tank up to drag his defender around the ground then look out.

Tackles and chases by instinct too, hard.

Am i being silly by suggesting he has a bit of the Nick Reiwoldts about him? Not comparing ability just playing style.

Yeah, it is a good call, Riewoldt was bigger and had more aerobic ability, but I can only really remember late career Riewoldt, not first year draftee Riewoldt.

alternator

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Am i being silly by suggesting he has a bit of the Nick Reiwoldts about him? Not comparing ability just playing style.

Reiwoldts tank was significantly better from the outset, and my initial take is that Comben is a better leaping aerialist.

Running power was Reiwoldt's real strength.

Yeah, it is a good call, Riewoldt was bigger and had more aerobic ability, but I can only really remember late career Riewoldt, not first year draftee Riewoldt.

Reiwoldt was quite skinny in his first 2 years and Comben has 6 cm on Riewoldt so I reckon he'll have him for size in 3 years.

Reiwoldt was quite skinny in his first 2 years and Comben has 6 cm on Riewoldt so I reckon he'll have him for size in 3 years.

I actually wouldn't mind Comben being tried as an attacking CHB.

Intercept marks, can run off opponents, hits hard.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
I actually wouldn't mind Comben being tried as an attacking CHB.

Intercept marks, can run off opponents, hits hard.
Given Larkey and BBB will be holding fort down forward for the next 5 years, not a bad plan to get him into the team.

Transition him forward again when a spot opens up. He'd be 23-24 by then.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Given Larkey and BBB will be holding fort down forward for the next 5 years, not a bad plan to get him into the team.

Transition him forward again when a spot opens up. He'd be 23-24 by then.

Precisely my thinking.

I reckon Gold Coast have the right idea playing Luko like that.

Question would be on Comben's field kicking.

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Precisely my thinking.

I reckon Gold Coast have the right idea playing Luko like that.

Question would be on Comben's field kicking.
Haven't seen enough of Charlie's field kicking to know really. He'll be spending most, if not all this year in the VFL to work on it. That's what the VFL is there for.

alternator

Cancelled
Mar 3, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Haven't seen enough of Charlie's field kicking to know really. He'll be spending most, if not all this year in the VFL to work on it. That's what the VFL is there for.

You don't want blokes whose main skill is attacking the contest and leaping at marks playing at modern CHB, unless they play the unaccountable McGovern role. The days of Peter Knights are over, and I don't reckon we are cashing in with Charlie's major asset that way anyway.

You don't want blokes whose main skill is attacking the contest and leaping at marks playing at modern CHB, unless they play the unaccountable McGovern role. The days of Peter Knights are over, and I don't reckon we are cashing in with Charlie's major asset that way anyway.

Four time All Australian Jeremy McGovern who won his team a Grand Final attacking the contest and leaping at the mark.

Back