Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

It's interesting that on draft night many were a little underwhelmed with this pick. Now just a few months later, the kid looks the goods

It seems like recruiters arranged our draft picks specifically to target this guy.

It seems like recruiters arranged our draft picks specifically to target this guy.

Some thoughts..

We had been planning swaps with Dodo prior who then got cute on the night before eventually dealing after we acknowledged we didn't want his target.

The dees offer was presented to us and we bit their hand off to accept it.

We don't have a firm plan for what to do with 2020 picks yet but are open to several courses of action.

The big boy who went to Cola was of interest to us.

The fact Homer's neighbour went so late to McSuns may have thrown us.

Sorry to be a wet blanket, think we're going a wee bit early crow here.

Charlie has looked good at training and in an intra-club. He took a nice well judged uncontested mark in a practice match which seems to have been declared totally meaningless for all other conclusions except for it validating Charlie as a 'great draft pick'.

Not saying he won't be a superstar but you could reel off the number of players who have shown a couple of similar glimpses to this stage post-draft and gone on to achieve absolutely nothing in terms of AFL career.

He's an 18yo 200cm kid. Please don't build him up prematurely.

Charlie has looked good at training and in an intra-club. He took a nice well judged uncontested mark in a practice match which seems to have been declared totally meaningless for all other conclusions except for it validating Charlie as a 'great draft pick'.

Not saying he won't be a superstar but you could reel off the number of players who have shown a couple of similar glimpses to this stage post-draft and gone on to achieve absolutely nothing in terms of AFL career.

Nah, he looks good. You could reel off the number of players that got drafted off junior form and potential and showed next to nothing at the club, even in training. If you're gonna ignore the reports of track watchers and players that is up to you but don't try and make out that "building up" players on Big Footy actually has any real life consequences.

Did you see the rest of the game? A well judged marked stood out like a rainbow in a toxic wasteland.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Nah, he looks good. You could reel off the number of players that got drafted off junior form and potential and showed next to nothing at the club, even in training. If you're gonna ignore the reports of track watchers and players that is up to you but don't try and make out that "building up" players on Big Footy actually has any real life consequences.

Even at a smaller club like ours, the coverage of training by supporters and the media team these days is constant so this stuff can get a bit overblown. Once upon a time all this would happen away from prying eyes.

Pretty much every player we've ever drafted would've done 'something' at training that could be isolated as why that kid was a draft steal.

I get that Charlie looks exciting but think it's getting a little bit silly. He didn't bang through 5 goals on Robbie Tarrant in an intra-club or kick 3 in a praccie, he's done some encouraging isolated things.

He moves nicely, has good hands, kicks okay and chases and tackles. He is also quick and has a bit of a tank already, from training reports and video at least.

He's not the next duck (yet :cool:) but when Tef did that assessment of Bailey Scott with gifs showing all the things Bailey had going for him ... I've seen similar things with Comben in games and practise matches.

Just little things I've noticed that are me think "hmmm that's a good sign."

Even at a smaller club like ours, the coverage of training by supporters and the media team these days is constant so this stuff can get a bit overblown. Once upon a time all this would happen away from prying eyes.

Pretty much every player we've ever drafted would've done 'something' at training that could be isolated as why that kid was a draft steal.

I get that Charlie looks exciting but think it's getting a little bit silly. He didn't bang through 5 goals on Robbie Tarrant in an intra-club or kick 3 in a praccie, he's done some encouraging isolated things.

Can you imagine the wank fest if he did kick 5 on Taz....

He moves nicely, has good hands, kicks okay and chases and tackles. He is also quick and has a bit of a tank already, from training reports and video at least.

He's not the next duck (yet :cool:) but when Tef did that assessment of Bailey Scott with gifs showing all the things Bailey had going for him ... I've seen similar things with Comben in games and practise matches.

Just little things I've noticed that are me think "hmmm that's a good sign."

Indeed mate.

But I bet I could gif you up a great little package on Chad Jones, Hugh Foote, Lindsay Smith or Ben Hughes too.

Who?

Exactly.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Indeed mate.

But I bet I could gif you up a great little package on Chad Jones, Hugh Foote, Lindsay Smith or Ben Hughes too.

Who?

Exactly.

I get it...

But nothing I've seen from Durds or Bmac2 for example makes me think the same about them. I guess we'll find out over the next few years. The thing I like most about CC is his pace and agility. He seems fairly mobile for a bigger player.

I think Perez has a bit about him too. I am actually more excited about him. But he's even more of a long shot.

Not convinced. This is just a projection of your own neuroses which lacks any material football analysis. Bring it up if he doesn't get a kick in the VFL.

I get it...

But nothing I've seen from Durds or Bmac2 for example makes me think the same about them. I guess we'll find out over the next few years. The thing I like most about CC is his pace and agility. He seems fairly mobile for a bigger player.

I think Perez has a bit about him too. I am actually more excited about him. But he's even more of a long shot.
durdin played some good senior footy last year. Comden yet to play VFL seniors. Calm down ferbs

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

durdin played some good senior footy last year. Comden yet to play VFL seniors. Calm down ferbs

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Durds is potentially a good solid defender but I like the look of Comben in terms of how he moves on field. If he becomes a regular afl player i think he will be a very good one. Hypothetically I'd expect him to beat Durds one on one if that happens.

Not convinced. This is just a projection of your own neuroses which lacks any material football analysis. Bring it up if he doesn't get a kick in the VFL.

No idea if that's in jest or not. Fill your boots either way.

Let's not twist my words. I like what I've seen too but even applying parameters of a playerin his first preseason, he's looking good without shouting crazy draft steal thus far.

Having watched Petrie, Hale et al this stage of their careers (post-draft) hopefully my "neuroses" are based on some kind of past observation.

We had been planning swaps with Dodo prior who then got cute on the night before eventually dealing after we acknowledged we didn't want his target.
Maybe. I suspect that plan A was to try and use our 2nd round currency to trade up but when that didn't eventuate this was a canny pivot.
The dees offer was presented to us and we bit their hand off to accept it.
And so we should have. It was daylight robbery.
We don't have a firm plan for what to do with 2020 picks yet but are open to several courses of action.
You'd hope so. I'm on sthe side of use them in the draft (as picks or as currency to take advantage of NGA bids) rather than burning a hole in our pocket to spend on trades for B-graders. But half our list is currently set to come out of contract so there's a lot to play out regarding development, list spots, etc.
The big boy who went to Cola was of interest to us.
Must have been. Didn't work out.

Not sure about that. What I do recall, is that we traded a pick to Essendon on the night, which they used to draft a tall forward, while we got their 2020 second rounder. We then drafted Comben with our next pick IIRC. Will be interesting to compare his career with the kid Essendon drafted.

Not sure about that. What I do recall, is that we traded a pick to Essendon on the night, which they used to draft a tall forward, while we got their 2020 second rounder. We then drafted Comben with our next pick IIRC. Will be interesting to compare his career with the kid Essendon drafted.
That'd be Harrison Jones.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back