Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben

Remove this Banner Ad

I think we’ll see him against Sydney or Adelaide. Just giving him a taste of the level before a huge pre season.

Honestly given Richmonds form they wouldn't have been the worst scenario - I think a week or so early though. I'd say Adelaide however I'm a touch concerned he'll cost us pick 1 if he plays. ;)

I can understand that viewpoint, so wouldn’t be upset if that’s the decision, however I’m of the opinion that if you’re happy for him to play unrestricted in the VFL you may as well play him in the AFL. I don’t have the data in front of me, but you’re probably only marginally more likely to get injured in an AFL game than VFL.
Point taken, but I still like the idea of being able to park him in square and telling him not to move or on the bench for a half if for some reason it is needed. It is a bit harder to do that at AFL level.

If he plays well in vfl next week then bring him in vs Sydney in Melbourne the game after. That would have given him 4 vfl/ scratch matches
Given we have a rare MCG game this week, and given we are in the learning phase, I'd be tempted to play him in the seniors this week just for the experience. Plus having just one key forward at the MCG, especially without Zurhaar, would be very hard to put up a reasonable score. Having Comben there even in a slightly underdone shape, would be a tick on all counts IMO.

I'm reading madness. Didn't he just play his first full game of footy for over 2 years?

Mate om my nightclub clock ( as opposed to the Mick Malthouse premiership clock) it's 2:30am and things are looking grim, we're desperate for any action :p

I'd think if he keeps going like this and his body is feeling fine, wouldn't be surprised if he plays against the Crows. And the footy media will be left twitching. The very thought of North doing well would cause a fair few sleepless nights.
Caro for one will hit the piss pretty hard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given we have a rare MCG game this week, and given we are in the learning phase, I'd be tempted to play him in the seniors this week just for the experience. Plus having just one key forward at the MCG, especially without Zurhaar, would be very hard to put up a reasonable score. Having Comben there even in a slightly underdone shape, would be a tick on all counts IMO.

we already have 2 rucks with 1 resting forward. we'll be playing 3 talls, not a huge fan of the idea considering richmonds rebounding ability.

The judge who said he looks like Waite is on the money, just the pure athleticism of him is great
When he plucks that mark over the top about 65m out in the highlights vid I was just thinking that's Waitey. Hope he can reach Waiteys level and be as good for a whole career.

We have the bye in the vfl in 2 games time so Sydney game would be perfect as it's the week he wouldn't have a game otherwise

I do love the idea of having Charlie and Will running around against Sydney.

If he comes on the best thing will be we will finally have someone to replace drew/ Waite who used to take those marks from kickouts at chb. Larkey has gotten better at it this year as the year has gone on but still inconsistent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back