Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - re-signed until end of 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

Very, very promising. Wouldn’t write off a taste of senior footy in the last week or two. But the pre season is the most important target for him. Very happy to see him back and kicking a bag is a bonus.

I think a senior appearance is odds on, assuming he feels good.

Final two games gives him another month of vfl.

I think a senior appearance is odds on, assuming he feels good.

Final two games gives him another month of vfl.
yes, I think you and sachx have a good case - a solid month in the 2s (or whatever these scratch matches are called) and a debut as prep for next year would be a solid investment

You’d think because it’s his first game back that he’d be a bit stale but no he fits right back in and wins his own footy.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

yes, I think you and sachx have a good case - a solid month in the 2s (or whatever these scratch matches are called) and a debut as prep for next year would be a solid investment

I truly believe that if we haven’t won a game leading into round 23, and have pick 1 stitched up, we could put the foot down on the crows and score a 100 point win. They’ll be playing kids at that stage and Comben will probably get a McAsey and could kick a bag.

If his constantly performing in the next 3-4 vfl games, why not give him a sniff of senior footy? We have nothing to lose.

Obviously I don’t wanna rush him but if he earns it, then he gets it, if he doesn’t, that’s also okay.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Okay we can put to bed now “we desperately need to sell the farm to get another key forward”.
Look, it's exciting but it's still one half of an ad hoc scratch match from a player who has been perennially injured for much of his teenage life. I wouldn't count our chickens just yet.

I still think we should target an experienced KPF for next year, but I wouldn't 'sell the farm' for one.

Look, it's exciting but it's still one half of an ad hoc scratch match from a player who has been perennially injured for much of his teenage life. I wouldn't count our chickens just yet.

I still think we should target an experienced KPF for next year, but I wouldn't 'sell the farm' for one.

As I’ve said - the club are confident in both his talent & injury issues.

For the short-term we have Walker/X but if they’re behind him now, expect a big well managed preseason and he could be starting round 1.

Those who have seen him in juniors.. Does he have presence and a bit of aggression? Athletically it sounds like he has it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looks like they are playing scratch match at Yeronga now.

damn I live in yeronga. Had a working bee on this morning at only caught the last 10 mins. My only take away is that Phoenix Spicer was finding a lot of space and causing a lot of trouble for opposition.

definitely needs a few more games but could see a debut in the last 2 if he keeps this up.
4 goals in a scratch match isnt exactly AFL quality play yet.
love to hear that he's doing well though

Those who have seen him in juniors.. Does he have presence and a bit of aggression? Athletically it sounds like he has it.

Can’t really comment on the aggression but I know the club are very pleased with his ground ball follow up not just his contested marking.

Probably evident in the big tackle on ah chee that lead to his first today.

damn I live in yeronga. Had a working bee on this morning at only caught the last 10 mins. My only take away is that Phoenix Spicer was finding a lot of space and causing a lot of trouble for opposition.
Glad you saw 10 mins at least Dingrel. Very windy cross breeze when I was there earlier so tricky conditions. We should get more opportunities to see them at Yeronga if they stay up here.

As I’ve said - the club are confident in both his talent & injury issues.

For the short-term we have Walker/X but if they’re behind him now, expect a big well managed preseason and he could be starting round 1.
Still, I wouldn't want to have to rely on him to play a full season as one of our two KPFs. I think it's just prudent to get an experienced KPF -- I've already said I'm on the McStay bandwagon, especially if Noble is keen on him. I mean, how many games has Comben played since he was 16? It would be less than 20 right? There's no denying the talent but I still don't think we can rely on the body holding up just yet.

definitely needs a few more games but could see a debut in the last 2 if he keeps this up.
4 goals in a scratch match isnt exactly AFL quality play yet.
love to hear that he's doing well though
It was 4 goals in a half, mate, against good opposition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back