Player Watch #30: Charlie Comben - re-signed until end of 2025

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Still, I wouldn't want to have to rely on him to play a full season as one of our two KPFs. I think it's just prudent to get an experienced KPF -- I've already said I'm on the McStay bandwagon, especially if Noble is keen on him. I mean, how many games has Comben played since he was 16? It would be less than 20 right? There's no denying the talent but I still don't think we can rely on the body holding up just yet.

It was 4 goals in a half, mate, against good opposition.

I’d be fine with Mcstay, but he’s 26 and would be leaving a premiership contender (whose just lost a KPF to an ACL) for an 18th placed side. He’d also be aware that we would be hopeful of CC establishing themselves in best 22 over the next 24 months.

If we were to bring someone in, I’d prefer it to be a 2 year experiment at zero cost. So someone that’s in that bracket would be my preference if we go that route.

I think we saw last off season & this season, that they aren’t too worried about our current KPF situation. When we are on top in games, Larkey, Zur & X/Goldy works. Hence, I won’t be surprised if they persist with that model for another 12-18 months.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Very, very promising. Wouldn’t write off a taste of senior footy in the last week or two. But the pre season is the most important target for him. Very happy to see him back and kicking a bag is a bonus.

We've invested a lot of time in getting his body right, surely we wouldn't let him loose at AFL level this year. A few quarters here and there at VFL and possibly a couple of VFL games at seasons end.

But yeah he can football and is a huge piece of the puzzle. This would be a grand forward line.

Zurhaar, larkey, Spicer/Mahony
Thomas Comben Ford/ Taylor

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We've invested a lot of time in getting his body right, surely we wouldn't let him loose at AFL level this year. A few quarters here and there at VFL and possibly a couple of VFL games at seasons end.

But yeah he can football and is a huge piece of the puzzle. This would be a grand forward line.

Zurhaar, larkey, Spicer/Mahony
Thomas Comben Ford/ Taylor

a couple of years from now thomas as a forward will be a ridiculous proposition

kaboom kid

From the River to the Sea, Israel will be free.
Apr 28, 2016
Destination club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Or Jake Stringer.....

Back