Yabby Medal votes: 1 (equal 22nd)

Averages

Kicks: 6.8 per game
Handballs: 4.4 per game
Disposals: 11.2 per game
Marks: 4.0 per game
Tackles: 1.2 per game

Standout

Round 5, 2019 (versus Geelong Cats): Earned his sole Yabby Medal vote for the season filling in for James Frawley at full-back on Tom Hawkins. Although the Hawks lost Hawkins was only a minimal contributor to the Cats' victory, with one goal.

Shocker

Round 14, 2019 (versus Sydney Swans): Again filling in for the absent Frawley, Brand had the unenviable task of playing on Lance Franklin. Although Brand has previously broken even with Franklin, the Swans superstar comfortably took the points in a win over the Hawks, kicking four goals straight. It turned out to be Brand's last game for Hawthorn, as he was dropped for the next week and then delisted at the end of the season.

30 - Kaiden Brand (2018)

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

Brand is solid as a one on one defender, but his decision making is what often lets him down. If he can improve on that aspect of his game he could be a handy recruit for Sydney.

Really odd acquisition for the swans.

Brand looked pretty lost at AFL level, and particularly against big bodies.

Maybe they can make him into something, but I’m guessing he’s just insurance.

Looked good at times, but felt like he would always panic under a high ball one on one and then needlessly hold the opposition forward, giving away a free kick.

Sep 15, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I genuinely hope Brand makes a go of it at Sydney.
But I don't think he ever gained the trust from the coaches and he played as if he knew that. His IQ of the game plan and concentration levels seemed off.

The moment Frost was recruited, Brand's time at Hawthorn was done.

Aug 27, 2015
🅱️🅰️🥇1️⃣3️⃣
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
🇦🇺
Picking up Brand's a testament to how much Longmire loves defenders and the shitty defensive gameplan he peddles, which is every bit as dreadful as Ross Lyon's but he never gets called on it because the AFL threatens to pull the media accreditation of any footy journo critical of their lovechild.

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Really odd acquisition for the swans.

Brand looked pretty lost at AFL level, and particularly against big bodies.

Maybe they can make him into something, but I’m guessing he’s just insurance.

I'm a bit meh on this one as well, seems like we're being reactive and trying to find a replacement for Grundy. He could be handy but I'm not expecting a lot.

Back