Review 30 - Kaiden Brand (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

What are his strengths and weaknesses?
Here’s you evening planned:

Would not shock me if he does very well. He has fire in the belly and foot skills are very solid for a big man. Give the guy some confidence, less panic, his decision making improves, and he suddenly becomes a valuable footballer.

Much as I like him, I am happy to have Frost instead and let him go to Sydney. Overall, maybe this one is genuinely win for us and win for Swans.

Another side benefit of him getting picked up by the swans is that if he was indeed contracted by hawthorn for 2020, and we’ve paid him out, is that Sydney will pick up some of that tab

No doubt Brand's management was approached by Sydney and it was contingent on him getting out of his contract here. Hawthorn wouldn't stand in his way because he would likely only have a game in the most dire of circumstances. So I would say that the Swans are relieving Hawthorn of some salary cap for next year.

On second thoughts, he is a delisted free agent so I assume Hawthorn has to carry his 2020 salary in the cap regardless of what contract he signs with Sydney. Hawthorn just doesn't pay it to Brand.

Gets a bit jumpy when under pressure. A lot at AFL level.

Apart from that a class above most, lets be honest and say all at VFL level when there is no real pressure or more correctly he doesn't feel it, because it's not AFL pressure.

I know he's mid 20's but to be honest I'm dumbfounded GC17 didn't have a crack, Sydeney I'm guessing are just smarter.

Low risk, high reward, cost nothing has beaten tom Hawkins. Has been beaten by a no namer.

Perfect for GC, Sydney obviously think they are top 4 again... but if they do then fair choice if he plays a role.

Brand is a player that has plenty of assets to work with. Sydney is a club that I could easily see smoothing out some of his flaws and turning him into a really solid defensive post for them.

Stoked he got another shot at a club though. Has the talent to be a decent player and from what I've seen is a top bloke as well.

It didn't seem like we ever tried him out in other positions/roles. Always just played as a lock down KPD.

Would've been interesting to see him trialled up forward or even as a relief ruck. I don't expect he would've excelled but usually we'd at least explore other possibilities before de-listing a contracted player. Maybe they did try at Box Hill though? I didn't get to watch any of those games this year.

It didn't seem like we ever tried him out in other positions/roles. Always just played as a lock down KPD.

Would've been interesting to see him trialled up forward or even as a relief ruck. I don't expect he would've excelled but usually we'd at least explore other possibilities before de-listing a contracted player. Maybe they did try at Box Hill though? I didn't get to watch any of those games this year.
I think he went forward once or twice at BH

Brand is a player that has plenty of assets to work with. Sydney is a club that I could easily see smoothing out some of his flaws and turning him into a really solid defensive post for them.

Stoked he got another shot at a club though. Has the talent to be a decent player and from what I've seen is a top bloke as well.

C'mon mate, are you implying that Sydney could get more out of him than us? Sydney couldn't get Menzel to learn how to tackle this year as an example so what makes you think that they can teach him to be composed?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our system is one of the more complicated systems in the afl. People always wondered why schoey got a gig. Its because he learnt the system quickly. Yes he was our only option but he was also clued into the way we want to play.

Brand struggled with our system for quite some time. He has played some solid football at VFL level but Mirra had him covered at that level as well.

One thing that the club demands is that a player improves every year. If ure not improving and yes it is measured not a finger in the air job then coaches start thinking about the future have u as a footballer reached your ceiling.

Im happy for brand that he has another opportunity with the swans. Its fair to say he has done all he can with us

Our system is one of the more complicated systems in the afl. People always wondered why schoey got a gig. Its because he learnt the system quickly. Yes he was our only option but he was also clued into the way we want to play.

Brand struggled with our system for quite some time. He has played some solid football at VFL level but Mirra had him covered at that level as well.

One thing that the club demands is that a player improves every year. If ure not improving and yes it is measured not a finger in the air job then coaches start thinking about the future have u as a footballer reached your ceiling.

Im happy for brand that he has another opportunity with the swans. Its fair to say he has done all he can with us

Fair enough - a very comprehensive explanation on this one.

I hope he goes OK up there. Be interesting to see what happens the end of next year.

If he has a good looking game for the Swans early on, the MB posts will be pretty funny. I'm hoping for Hartung-esque.

Anyways, I wish him well.

He's one of those players I thought would eventually get his s**t together become a solid senior player (similar to O'Brien)... but after 7 years in the system - and despite one or two glimpses - he just isn't going to spontaneously click into gear. I like him, so it's disappointing, but he's had his chance and it's time to move on and give someone else a go. Hope he can get a few games with Syd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back