Analysis 30 minute thrillers

Remove this Banner Ad

Fox just replayed last quarter of preliminary final v GWS. Couldn't believe how awesome Toby McLean was.
It makes it all the more mind boggling that he was dropped this year. His form was okay when dropped. Head scratchingly poor decision.
Great decision. Reaping the rewards now.

Fox just replayed last quarter of preliminary final v GWS. Couldn't believe how awesome Toby McLean was.
It makes it all the more mind boggling that he was dropped this year. His form was okay when dropped. Head scratchingly poor decision.
McLean and Libba upped the ante in that last quarter after poor/average games up until then.

Great decision. Reaping the rewards now.
I'm all for dropping players if they have a run of poor form. But to my untrained eye Mclean was definitely en the best 6 nearly every game at the start of the year. He had one poor game and was dropped. I think we bit off our noses to spite our faces.
The only issue maybe is that he wasn't following a team directive. If that is the case I can accept it.

I'm all for dropping players if they have a run of poor form. But to my untrained eye Mclean was definitely en the best 6 nearly every game at the start of the year. He had one poor game and was dropped. I think we bit off our noses to spite our faces.
The only issue maybe is that he wasn't following a team directive. If that is the case I can accept it.
So if you can see a reason why he'd possibly be dropped, how is it head scratchingly bad?

I think he was playing decent individual football. Went off to work on something specific and now he's playing great team football.

Excellent decision.

Yeah, look, "ducking" is just flat out incorrect. He does a combination of lowering his body and when players try to tackle him by the arms he lifts his arms so that the contact goes above his shoulders. The fact that umpires are unable to adjudicate against it shows how masterfully he does it. In fact, I don't even think that what he does is technically illegal which is why it still gets paid without question. Trust me, every player in the league would do it if they were proficient at it. To the best of my knowledge the best at it at Selwood, Mclean and maybe that flog from Brisbane who calls himself "b3astm0de" or whatever. Umpires have been letting Selwood get away with it for a decade so no issues with Mclean doing it. Ducking is a lot easier for the umpires to spot and it gets called for what it is when it happens.

If players don't want to give away frees against him they either have to tackle him around the hips or if they do go for the arms they bloody well better squeeze him tight enough that he can't lift his elbows.

So if you can see a reason why he'd possibly be dropped, how is it head scratchingly bad?

I think he was playing decent individual football. Went off to work on something specific and now he's playing great team football.

Excellent decision.
Fair enough, I disagree but that's fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back