Autopsy 30 point grind against Collingwood - Rd 9, 2021

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
one factor not seemingly given much attention yesterday was the wind ... i'm still catching up on replays but from what understand it was gusting in all directions, which makes the win even better, and also goes a fair way to explaining how scrappy and ugly it was ...
and it says a lot for this young, raw group to have been trailing by three goals (twice) early, knuckle down (especially the defence) and overrun a supposedly desperate opposition still boasting several 'stars'

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So this was the first game I've been to live since I think....2016 maybe? Can't remember, maybe 2015. That was after being someone who went to probably 95% of home games between 2000 -> 2014. But then got married, moved to the Blue Mountains and had kids. But I took my 4 year old son to his first ever game so that was good.

Few thoughts:

- I really missed my platinum member seats in the Brewongle Stand. Sitting in row V in the Trumper Stand doesn't compare.

- It was really windy and cold. I was listening to the Footyology podcast this morning and they were complaining about the heaviness of the ground for the relatively poor quality of play, and I kept waiting for them to mention the wind but they never did. I wonder if this is a result now of the media companies not sending commentators to the actual ground. Anyone who was there would have known the wind was playing a huge factor.

- McLean was super impressive. Actually think he was the best game I'd seen him play, even better than the 4 goal effort. The question I'd has was did he have the ability to push up and be a marking target outside the forward 50. Every time we needed it he pulled in a big mark. Looking at the stats now, he covered the most ground of any player in the game with 16km. That's massive. He should watch tape of Barry Hall who just used to do that all the time, run your defender into the ground. 18 touches, 9 marks (5 contested), 6 tackles (!), 3 shots on goal in a low scoring match is just a ripper performance. If he can continue on from here in that vein of form it'll be huge.

- Other guys that really impressed were Mills, McInerney (loved his game) and Warner. Warner is just electric.

- Blakey continues to be a disappointment. It's his third season now and he really should be making strides. Instead he just doesn't seem like a particularly smart footballer. Never gets enough of the ball and when he does, he always tries for the glory play rather than the smart thing. Hope I'm wrong about him but I don't see it.

Crust

All Australian
Jun 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SUANFC
So this was the first game I've been to live since I think....2016 maybe? Can't remember, maybe 2015. That was after being someone who went to probably 95% of home games between 2000 -> 2014. But then got married, moved to the Blue Mountains and had kids. But I took my 4 year old son to his first ever game so that was good.

Few thoughts:

- I really missed my platinum member seats in the Brewongle Stand. Sitting in row V in the Trumper Stand doesn't compare.

- It was really windy and cold. I was listening to the Footyology podcast this morning and they were complaining about the heaviness of the ground for the relatively poor quality of play, and I kept waiting for them to mention the wind but they never did. I wonder if this is a result now of the media companies not sending commentators to the actual ground. Anyone who was there would have known the wind was playing a huge factor.

- McLean was super impressive. Actually think he was the best game I'd seen him play, even better than the 4 goal effort. The question I'd has was did he have the ability to push up and be a marking target outside the forward 50. Every time we needed it he pulled in a big mark. Looking at the stats now, he covered the most ground of any player in the game with 16km. That's massive. He should watch tape of Barry Hall who just used to do that all the time, run your defender into the ground. 18 touches, 9 marks (5 contested), 6 tackles (!), 3 shots on goal in a low scoring match is just a ripper performance. If he can continue on from here in that vein of form it'll be huge.

- Other guys that really impressed were Mills, McInerney (loved his game) and Warner. Warner is just electric.

- Blakey continues to be a disappointment. It's his third season now and he really should be making strides. Instead he just doesn't seem like a particularly smart footballer. Never gets enough of the ball and when he does, he always tries for the glory play rather than the smart thing. Hope I'm wrong about him but I don't see it.

Agree with the bolded.
I was in the top deck of the Noble and I agree the wind was a huge factor. I could see the ball going sideways. The replay didn't show the effect of the wind at all.
McLean was sensational. He is a Reid who can kick straight. When he tackles they stay tackled.
Regarding Blakey FWIW I get the impression that he is not trying for glory, but is trying to take the game on and impress so he doesn't get dropped again. Almost like he is trying too hard perhaps.
I'd add that Hayward was very good too.

Donza

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2016
The Gong
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Black Caps the Mighty All Black
Yeah the ground was heavy as they played a Rugby game (tahs got smashed) there on Friday night.
Going forward. I can't see any other clashes as far as rd 15.

I watched the replay and realised there were two players I didn't give any love to who deserved it:

Cunningham - I still think can be a bit of a panic merchant down back with the ball at times, but geez he sticks to his opponents like glue. There was one play deep in defensive 50 at a stoppage where one of the Brown boys (both of whom are pretty quick and nifty in tight) burst off in one step. Cunningham was having none of it and he stopped him before he could even start. This on the heels of making Pickett look nervy AF last week. It might not seem like much but that closing speed is SO important in stopping dangerous smalls, and it was something even the great Smooch didn't have (but didn't need!)

Rowbottom - This kid was up to his eyeballs in so many of our attacking plays, in some cases just with little deft touches that few others could do. He is just so hard and so classy which is not a common mix to find. He also set the standard with his work rate with his 7 tackles. There's something very admirable about a player only going at about 75% capacity but still giving 100% effort, especially when it's a kid. Mad respect for how he's going about it.

And also... another shout-out to McLean, because his game was even better on replay. What an insane work rate this bloke has, and the skills are starting to match it.

... and that's it! There truly were 22 very good contributors for us. More of the same please this week!

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
I watched the replay and realised there were two players I didn't give any love to who deserved it:

Cunningham - I still think can be a bit of a panic merchant down back with the ball at times, but geez he sticks to his opponents like glue. There was one play deep in defensive 50 at a stoppage where one of the Brown boys (both of whom are pretty quick and nifty in tight) burst off in one step. Cunningham was having none of it and he stopped him before he could even start. This on the heels of making Pickett look nervy AF last week. It might not seem like much but that closing speed is SO important in stopping dangerous smalls, and it was something even the great Smooch didn't have (but didn't need!)

Rowbottom - This kid was up to his eyeballs in so many of our attacking plays, in some cases just with little deft touches that few others could do. He is just so hard and so classy which is not a common mix to find. He also set the standard with his work rate with his 7 tackles. There's something very admirable about a player only going at about 75% capacity but still giving 100% effort, especially when it's a kid. Mad respect for how he's going about it.

And also... another shout-out to McLean, because his game was even better on replay. What an insane work rate this bloke has, and the skills are starting to match it.

... and that's it! There truly were 22 very good contributors for us. More of the same please this week!

Yeh I can't remember many weeks where there was a more even spread of 22 contributors. Maybe the Richmond game. And we've played better in other weeks but this was a real team performance after the first 20 minutes.

Cunningham's discipline and defensive play is first class, there wouldn't be many small defenders better at this point. He butchered some ball coming out of defence but he's a gun defensively.

the hypnotoad

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney

love rowbottom ... and with him and mclean, two more cases of if they played for a vic team the footy media would be screaming about them

Hayden McLean mark of the week

love rowbottom ... and with him and mclean, two more cases of if they played for a vic team the footy media would be screaming about them

To be fair, I don't think many would be screaming about McLean. He plays for the Swans and even this board hasn't really been screaming about him :p

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Tom Papley Goal of the week
I hope Paps goal gets one of the three nominations for the AFL's goal of the week.

Checksides from the boundary are great, but sometimes the essence of football needs to be recognised as well.

Hard running, teamwork, skill and a composed finish.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Northern Districts Tigers
To be fair, I don't think many would be screaming about McLean. He plays for the Swans and even this board hasn't really been screaming about him :p
To be fair, his performances haven't warranted it up til now. You could always see him giving 100% though. He got chucked in the deep end when he came is as our ruck and he gave it a fair shake but he's obviously a key forward. Now he's getting games, covering a heap of ground and he's getting the confidence to contest in the air and win. I don't know if he's got the versatility of Reid, which is good because I don't want him as a swingman, but McLean is a nice forward target and he can kick straight.

He could be the cream on the cake. With all hype around other draftees or potential trades he could just pop up as a 10 year KPF partner to McDonald if he continues to develop...and he's only 22.

The only knock on him is that he doesn't offer much once it hits the ground but maybe he doesn't have to if we use him right.

Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Still annoyed about being subjected to 2-3 minutes of basketball during the half time show
I know I'll sound like an old fart, but apart from the game itself I don't actually enjoy going to the footy these days.

The whole fan engagement/matchday experience pisses me off.

I don't need to be constantly 'entertained' or told what to do.

I go for the football, not to be bombarded with crap.
Crowd noise/involvement for example should be organic, not determined by some 20yo with no interest in the match itself.

Oh and gamble responsibly.

PS I realise you may be talking about basketball at an AFL game, but I just felt like a bit of a rant.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I know I'll sound like an old fart, but apart from the game itself I don't actually enjoy going to the footy these days.

The whole fan engagement/matchday experience pisses me off.

I don't need to be constantly 'entertained' or told what to do.

I go for the football, not to be bombarded with crap.
Crowd noise/involvement for example should be organic, not determined by some 20yo with no interest in the match itself.

Oh and gamble responsibly.
Don't go to any NBL games then. The amount of pointless fluff they bombard you with makes me regret seeing live games. Constant sensory overload.

Few thoughts:

Great post. Cold and miserable but you and the 4 yo got the joy of a win.

Excellent observations as well about the players. This is not the first time McLean has led our mob on distance during a game.

Don't go to any NBL games then. The amount of pointless fluff they bombard you with makes me regret seeing live games. Constant sensory overload.

I went to my first and only Wildcats game a few years ago, and holy **** did the MC do my head in. Every two minutes he would inexplicably scream, "DEEEEEE-FENCE!"

It was completely inane and made me never want to watch basketball again.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I went to my first and only Wildcats game a few years ago, and holy **** did the MC do my head in. Every two minutes he would inexplicably scream, "DEEEEEE-FENCE!"

It was completely inane and made me never want to watch basketball again.
I go to Illawarra Hawks games, because my kids are mad on basketball, and the MC won't shut up and let the game tell the story. He has to talk constantly and state the obvious. And yes constant "Deeefence" and "Hawks ball!" and "Ill-a-warra".

And just so the mods don't get angry....the Swans were good against Collingwood. How about that Papley guy?

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
To be fair, his performances haven't warranted it up til now. You could always see him giving 100% though. He got chucked in the deep end when he came is as our ruck and he gave it a fair shake but he's obviously a key forward. Now he's getting games, covering a heap of ground and he's getting the confidence to contest in the air and win. I don't know if he's got the versatility of Reid, which is good because I don't want him as a swingman, but McLean is a nice forward target and he can kick straight.

He could be the cream on the cake. With all hype around other draftees or potential trades he could just pop up as a 10 year KPF partner to McDonald if he continues to develop...and he's only 22.

The only knock on him is that he doesn't offer much once it hits the ground but maybe he doesn't have to if we use him right.

He's not going to crumb and kick bananas but I thought six tackles on the weekend showed that he's not a liability once it hits the ground. To be honest, you don't really want him chasing after ground balls, that's what Papley is for. Using his size to lay big tackles and put pressure on is all you can ask for.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
He's not going to crumb and kick bananas but I thought six tackles on the weekend showed that he's not a liability once it hits the ground. To be honest, you don't really want him chasing after ground balls, that's what Papley is for. Using his size to lay big tackles and put pressure on is all you can ask for.
Yep that was essentially my point. He's a marking target so he'll stick the mark or bring it to ground and then the small forwards feast on it.

I guess I had the Gold Coast game in mind where he looked dreadfully slow against the GC defenders but that's probably unfair as the whole team looked like it was wading through treacle that day.

The stats are showing that he's working very hard around the ground and he's able to push up and take marks on the wing as well as inside 50. Those six tackles I think came down to the fact that the whole forward line put some major pressure on the Pies and were hunting in packs.

The Gong

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
I'm glad mclean isn't rucking.
Keeping it simple seems to be the way to go.
Interesting that they had Blakey as backup ruck rather than McLean. That to me is a sign that they appreciate what McLean is providing in the forward line.

Do they drop McLean when Reid comes back? He'd be very stiff.

Back