Autopsy 30 point grind against Collingwood - Rd 9, 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting that they had Blakey as backup ruck rather than McLean. That to me is a sign that they appreciate what McLean is providing in the forward line.

Do they drop McLean when Reid comes back? He'd be very stiff.
No way I'd be dropping McLean based on his current form.
A real contested, stand and mark player.
Something we have been lacking.

I don't want to put the boots into Blakey, but IMO he is out when Reid is back.

McLean deep, Buddy 30/40m out and Reid leading up to and beyond the 50 and becoming the 'link marker' seems a handy balanced trio.
Reid back up ruck.

No way I'd be dropping McLean based on his current form.
A real contested, stand and mark player.
Something we have been lacking.

I don't want to put the boots into Blakey, but IMO he is out when Reid is back.

McLean deep, Buddy 30/40m out and Ried leading up to and beyond the 50 and becoming the 'link marker' seems a handy balanced trio.
Agree with that. Blakey has flashes of brilliance but his actual total output for the team is not substantial enough. It will come down to match ups though. Three talls will work some weeks and not others.

I hope Paps goal gets one of the three nominations for the AFL's goal of the week.

Checksides from the boundary are great, but sometimes the essence of football needs to be recognised as well.

Hard running, teamwork, skill and a composed finish.
Alas, no it was not part of the AFL goal of week :(

So 19 players have scored coaches votes across 9 rounds with 8 (*) players 22 years or under!

AFL Coaches Association’s AFL Champion Player Award
Leaderboard for Swans

28 Tom Hickey (SYD)
24 Callum Mills (SYD)
10 Sam Wicks (SYD) *
10 Luke Parker (SYD)
13 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
9 Errol Gulden (SYD) *
9 Lance Franklin (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
6 Tom McCartin (SYD) *
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD) *
5 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD) *
3 Oliver Florent (SYD) *
2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
1 Will Hayward (SYD) *
2 Hayden McLean (SYD) *
=====
Round 1 Brisbane Lions
10 Callum Mills (SYD)
7 Errol Gulden (SYD)
7 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
1 Harry Cunningham (SYD)
Round 2 Adelaide Crows
5 Tom McCartin (SYD)
5 Braeden Campbell (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
2 Errol Gulden (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
Round 3 Richmond
10 Sam Wicks (SYD)
7 Tom Papley (SYD)
4 Jordan Dawson (SYD)
4 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Oliver Florent (SYD)
2 Chad Warner (SYD)
1 Callum Mills (SYD)
Round 4 Essendon
10 Luke Parker (SYD)
8 Sam Reid (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Callum Mills (SYD)
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
Round 5 GWS
9 Lance Franklin (SYD)
1 Will Hayward (SYD)
Round 6 GCS
2 Josh Kennedy (SYD)
Round 7 Geelong
10 Tom Hickey (SYD)
3 Oliver Florent (SYD)
3 Tom McCartin (SYD)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)
Round 8 Melbourne
7 Callum Mills (SYD)
1 Tom Hickey (SYD)
Round 9 Collingwood
9 Isaac Heeney (SYD)
5 Jake Lloyd (SYD)
4 Callum Mills (SYD)
3 Tom Hickey (SYD)
2 Dane Rampe (SYD)
1 Hayden McLean (SYD)

LEADERBOARD
VOTESPLAYERCLUB
44Hugh McCluggageBL
42Clayton OliverMELB
40Marcus BontempelliWB
38David MundyFRE
36Ollie WinesPORT
35Samuel WalshCARL
34Max GawnMELB

1 vote for Mc Lean is odd. Coaches obviously don't like a 197cm forward on a howling windy day, running 15km, 5 contested marks, next 3, 6 tackles, 11 contested possessions, 17 pressure acts (4th).
The seagull got plenty of votes (did play well) but must have a lower banchmark to get those votes.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Yeh I can't remember many weeks where there was a more even spread of 22 contributors. Maybe the Richmond game. And we've played better in other weeks but this was a real team performance after the first 20 minutes.

Cunningham's discipline and defensive play is first class, there wouldn't be many small defenders better at this point. He butchered some ball coming out of defence but he's a gun defensively.
Doubt there's a better small lockdown defender running around but once again I'll bet the AA selectors have no idea because the press aren't pushing him the whole time.

Interesting that they had Blakey as backup ruck rather than McLean. That to me is a sign that they appreciate what McLean is providing in the forward line.

Do they drop McLean when Reid comes back? He'd be very stiff.
No.
Reid can always come back in defence if necessary. McLean stays in from now on.

Sydney Swans v Collingwood
Centre bounces: 19

Sydney

PlayerFantasyTOG%CBACBA%
Tom Hickey8181%1579%
Luke Parker8480%1579%
Josh P. Kennedy8473%1474%
Callum Mills11184%1263%
James Rowbottom8066%1158%
Nick Blakey6172%421%
Chad Warner6169%421%
Oliver Florent6283%15%
Kick-ins (play on): Jake Lloyd 6 (6), Jordan Dawson 5 (4), Dane Rampe 1 (1).

Great to see Justin and Hayden turning in some solid performances. Saw a lot of them out at Blacktown in the NEAFL and don’t mind saying that I had my doubts.
Both showed flashes early on with Hayden taking some extraordinary pack marks and converting and Justin with his run, booming kick and toughness. The traits that put them in the spotlight to be drafted and carried them through their junior days seemingly lost as they adjusted the accountability and structures of footy at the highest level. Credit to both that they’ve managed to adjust without curbing those instincts. I wonder if Zac Foot, whom I rated the same, might have kicked on if we’d had the list space for him?
I’m another that thinks Rowy’s been better than he’s getting credit for since returning. Just manages to get himself in position for the little touch that triggers positive movement.
Seems Warner is in the process of learning when to go in and when to stay out... looks a bit like a seagull atm hanging a few meters off the contest but when it comes to him he invariably does something good with it. Excited to see how good he is with another 50 games under his belt.
Really like that Wicksy has such a presence on the field for one so young. Looking very solid in the 22 to me.
Hayward copped plenty of flack in the off-season around here and I noted that he is still filling out that body. Got a clanger or two in him but doing some really good things so far and hopefully continue to grow.
Mills getting only half the love he deserves here... Florent smooth as... Fox and Harry the soldiers... Lloydy coming to grips with proactive footy... Heeney the Big Threat and Paps the bloke you’d hate if you were on the opposing team.
Consistency the only worry for us right now and hopefully we’ll start to get that addressed over the next 4 weeks.
And FWIW... I’d love a hard nut Brayden Maynard type in our back 6... also think it’s poor form not to shake hands and wish a safe passage to an opponent before the game.

Great to see Justin and Hayden turning in some solid performances. Saw a lot of them out at Blacktown in the NEAFL and don’t mind saying that I had my doubts.
Both showed flashes early on with Hayden taking some extraordinary pack marks and converting and Justin with his run, booming kick and toughness. The traits that put them in the spotlight to be drafted and carried them through their junior days seemingly lost as they adjusted the accountability and structures of footy at the highest level. Credit to both that they’ve managed to adjust without curbing those instincts. I wonder if Zac Foot, whom I rated the same, might have kicked on if we’d had the list space for him?
I’m another that thinks Rowy’s been better than he’s getting credit for since returning. Just manages to get himself in position for the little touch that triggers positive movement.
Seems Warner is in the process of learning when to go in and when to stay out... looks a bit like a seagull atm hanging a few meters off the contest but when it comes to him he invariably does something good with it. Excited to see how good he is with another 50 games under his belt.
Really like that Wicksy has such a presence on the field for one so young. Looking very solid in the 22 to me.
Hayward copped plenty of flack in the off-season around here and I noted that he is still filling out that body. Got a clanger or two in him but doing some really good things so far and hopefully continue to grow.
Mills getting only half the love he deserves here... Florent smooth as... Fox and Harry the soldiers... Lloydy coming to grips with proactive footy... Heeney the Big Threat and Paps the bloke you’d hate if you were on the opposing team.
Consistency the only worry for us right now and hopefully we’ll start to get that addressed over the next 4 weeks.
And FWIW... I’d love a hard nut Brayden Maynard type in our back 6... also think it’s poor form not to shake hands and wish a safe passage to an opponent before the game.
Yep I was pretty disappointed to learn Bud didn’t shake his hand - it’s only a small thing but a bit of respect goes a long way

Shake hands after the game, no need to do it beforehand.

Lol. I never shook hands. Hard when they were clenched even when running out. Different times now and a good thing too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lol. I never shook hands. Hard when they were clenched even when running out. Different times now and a good thing too.

Hasn't changed too much, I barely shake hands even after a game depending on how it's gone.

Hasn't changed too much, I barely shake hands even after a game depending on how it's gone.

Lol. I would be in a mind to slaughter the Oppo, even playing cricket.

*shaking oppo hands* Game, game, game, game, * you, game game

We should change the name of this thread. The term "grind against Collingwood" presents me with an image of Eddie Macquire grinding his nether-regions against some woman from Marketing who's a bit drunk and finds herself pinned against the wall in the corridor outside the loos at the Collingwood Christmas party, with Eddie playing tonsil hockey in the back of her throat with a hyperactive tongue.

Gross.

Please change it to "30 point whipping of Collingwood". That title conjures up an image of Nathan Buckley as a buxom dominatrix dressed in a black leather bikini and stilletoes. He/She sneers at a pitiful Eddie as he hangs helplessly from heavy iron manacles. Eddie is dressed only in a pair of pale blue boxer shorts which have fallen around his ankles. He/she lashes Eddie with his/her whip causing angry red welts to appear on his plump pale pink buttocks, while Eddie whimpers pathetically.

Last edited:
We should change the name of this thread. The term "grind against Collingwood" presents me with an image of Eddie Macquire grinding his nether-regions against some woman from Marketing who's a bit drunk and finds herself pinned against the wall in the corridor outside the loos at the Collingwood Christmas party, with Eddie playing tonsil hockey in the back of her throat with a hyperactive tongue.

Gross.

Please change it to "30 point whipping of Collingwood". That title conjures up an image of Nathan Buckley as a buxom dominatrix dressed in a black leather bikini and stilletoes. He/She sneers at a pitiful Eddie as he hangs helplessly from heavy iron manacles. Eddie is dressed only in a pair of pale blue boxer shorts which have fallen around his ankles. He/she lashes Eddie with his/her whip causing angry red welts to appear on his plump pale pink buttocks, while Eddie whimpers pathetically.

giphy.gif

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back