Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 5, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Knicks, Giants
This is Reese's 5th year in the AFL. Yes he has had some injury concerns but his performances over the last 2 years has been quite disappointing.
Is he still in our best 22?

It is more that the expectation on him was higher than what he produced over the last two years. He was 6th overall in the 2010 draft

So everyone who comes into the league has to be a judd or dusty? guys what 21-22? still needs more exposure in the league.

conca needs to step up and show more, feel that he can, its up to him now.

So everyone who comes into the league has to be a judd or dusty? guys what 21-22? still needs more exposure in the league.
Well, not everyone has that mindset I guess. They expect a top-end draft pick to do wonders early on.

I hope his development is exponential from now until he becomes 26. I am happy to wait personally

Reece's career so far has been like a Lemony Snicket novel. One thing after another, be it injury, suspension or other, has interrupted his continuity. Not sure he's ever really felt at home in our 22. I was hoping this would be the year he'd get a solid run at it after a good preseason, but to no avail yet. Hopefully this latest set back will be his last for a good while, because I've got strong faith in his ability, always have.

Conca has genuine talent, and likes the hard stuff and 1%'s. Give him a decent run at it fit and he will show us that he is a real AFL level player - inside and outside. Only my opinion, but he just needs to get fit and stay fit.

last year wasnt a good one but up until then he had been coming along very well. i think it reflects more on our midfield depth that he isnt in the team right now. the only player i can see him replacing (taking into account like for like) is grigg but he played well on the weekend too. i think like with vlaustin his best chance is probably to become a small backman who can swap into the middle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Definitely best 22 he just needs a run at it. Might not be a star but a very good player who can be damaging.

He seems extremely injury prone however.

Also someone on here was mentioning a while back that he was struggling a bit off the field. So might be more to it than we know.

Genuine talent though and it will be good when he comes in to our best side with Corey Ellis and Lennon.

Talent central!

I'm not ready to write him off yet. May be wrong but I suspect recovering from that hamstring tear off the bone in 2013 has played a big part in his slow return to the form that got him to us in the first place. We've given any number of players, such as Ty and Benny Griffith, a decent chance to grow as footballers. Even Rance took a few years to move from good/average backman to the elite player he now is. Let's just cut the kid a bit of slack and build rather than undermine his self belief.

Outside of Hunt, he is our next best defensively minded mid IMO.

Easily best 22, just needs some continuity.
Totally disagree his defensive side has always been his issue . Can't recall who it was , but a few years ago he allowed a opponent to run away from him without firing a shot , possibly the most laziest thing I have seen in AFL football .
Needs to give up the Relton Roberts hamburgers, lose some weight and he might get the body shape required to play AFL without injuries .

Totally disagree his defensive side has always been his issue . Can't recall who it was , but a few years ago he allowed a opponent to run away from him without firing a shot , possibly the most laziest thing I have seen in AFL football .
Needs to give up the Relton Roberts hamburgers, lose some weight and he might get the body shape required to play AFL without injuries .

I know you are not basing your opinion off that one incident, but if you have watched him enough when fit you would see how hard he works defensively.

Some players will never have an Adonis physique, that doesn't mean they don't work hard.

Interestingly, many other posters see his defensive attributes the same as I do, might be worth another look TRIB.

Ps. Just saw Docs post above, re-inforces my opinion and actually surprises me alot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back