Player Watch #30: Reece Conca

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL at best very ordinary decision maker with poor execution .
Hunt has more upside and that's an indictment.
Back up only
Hunt has upside? I know you are not a Conca fan but I've more upside than Hunt. Conca off half back with a bit of confidence is unpredictable, likes to take the game on and occasionally bites of more than he can chew. Just needs to think a bit more like a backman and he could be a good HB flanker. Not that I'm expecting you to agree.

Hunt has upside? I know you are not a Conca fan but I've more upside than Hunt. Conca off half back with a bit of confidence is unpredictable, likes to take the game on and occasionally bites of more than he can chew. Just needs to think a bit more like a backman and he could be a good HB flanker. Not that I'm expecting you to agree.
Hunt was just a throw away line, but if I won either of them in a raffle I would ask for a refund. Both VFL IMO. I Just feel uneasy when Conca gets the ball and as much as I despise Houli in the team he's still way ahead.

Sorry Conca is the same as Lennon, won't make it, prefer to persist with C.Ellis as he has smarts and skills to die for.

Conca was solid but he is a veteran, lacks height and athleticism and is not elite in any area, is depth at best and is now no longer tradable.

Sorry Conca is the same as Lennon, won't make it, prefer to persist with C.Ellis as he has smarts and skills to die for.

Conca was solid but he is a veteran, lacks height and athleticism and is not elite in any area, is depth at best and is now no longer tradable.
He played as a trial rebounding defender as a result of no short or houli, the height comment is odd he is like 184cm will play mid/half back

Just watched the replay and Conca like most here said was okay. Yes I get a little edgy with ball in hand because he has turned it over a bit of late his career, but needs some continuity in his game before we will know if he has improved. Was pretty steady by foot last night. Houli will probably replace him, and so he should because he has played some good footy, even Short may, although Batchelor and Hunt should go first, but at the very least he is learning to play back because we are not stocked with many experienced HB's.

Hunt was just a throw away line, but if I won either of them in a raffle I would ask for a refund. Both VFL IMO. I Just feel uneasy when Conca gets the ball and as much as I despise Houli in the team he's still way ahead.

Can't agree Conca is a mile ahead of Houli and a better back pocket. Markov will replace Houli eventually at half back!!

Conca needs a bit more experience in the position of back pocket which actually suits him. Eventually he will figure out where to run more productively with experience and he is a better kick .

Clearly Conca should improve with more experience and confidence and has far greater upside not to mention defensive capability.

I thought Conca and Astbury, with a lesser extent Bachelor held up the defence on the night which was admirable without Rance!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Houli will still play gives run

Even if he does Houli is no back pocket.

Conca effectively proved what I was saying all along, better and more suited as a back pocket from which he can develop his game a lot further.

Conca simply has more scope for improvement simple because finally he might have chance with a back pocket position where he can settle and develop!!

Dunno if hes a good player or not, probably not but also not making a call until I see all 3 games. I want to see the team playing away from mickey mouse stadium, we hate it, I ******* hate it, it's s**t, let us play on a real ground.

Dunno if hes a good player or not, probably not but also not making a call until I see all 3 games. I want to see the team playing away from mickey mouse stadium, we hate it, I ******* hate it, it's s**t, let us play on a real ground.

I am not saying Conca may be a world beater but he has to be played as a back pocket and see how he comes on in his development.

Its his and the teams best chance IMO!

I think he could be a lot more effective player but he needs a chance to develop that opportunity effectively for himself and the clubs benefit IMO

Was fine last night, took a lot of our kicking in duties and only made 3 errors. The first was the handball from BEllis on his wrong side but managed to get it back to Ellis, another was a shank from a kick in that landed in a tiger players arm and the last was a dropped marking running back with the flight, he has been good in the intra-club games and will hopefully continue to get better as he gets game time back under his belt.

For those writing him off remember he played HBF in 2011 and 2012 for us and was well on his way to being a good player.

tbh , id be happy if lennon could even get to conca level, he was a major disappointment last night, would have given him a pass mark with even a few shots on goal,,,he had zippo, barely touched it

We've never really seen the best of Conca. He has shown glimpses but has been continuously in and out of the team due to injury and form. Playing him in the back pocket is a clever move (I agree Mr Magic). He has the size to match up on solid mid sized forwards and the speed to stay with leading players plus rebound out of defense. I think we are building up a developing a group of small defenders who can quickly move the ball out of defense. With Rance and Grimes to support the movement, we will be much harder to lock down this year and Conca will be a strong piece of that puzzle.

He played as a trial rebounding defender as a result of no short or houli, the height comment is odd he is like 184cm will play mid/half back
Wasn't a trial, was playing there last year in the pre-season game against Fremantle

Difference is Conca has at least played some decent football at the top level. His game against Geelong a few years ago showed that.

I get it....was only one game yada yada.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back