Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg

Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Need to make sure he settles and establishes himself in one position while he’s young before thinking of training him in another

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I really see McCartin as a star Full Forward. He has 1 bad attribute (kicking) while the others he's fantastic. I remember N. Reiwoldt being a terrible shot for goal in his early days but reliable in his later days. If he can address that he'll be an absolute star

I really see McCartin as a star Full Forward. He has 1 bad attribute (kicking) while the others he's fantastic. I remember N. Reiwoldt being a terrible shot for goal in his early days but reliable in his later days. If he can address that he'll be an absolute star

His kicking improved this season. Suspect he put a lot of work into it.

Jun 2, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Rebel Alliance
Glad to hear McCartin will continue to develop as a forward

What I enjoyed the most about this article was reading about the fan input on Jack needing to get a goal and JPK doing his best to make it happen

DobmusEdge

All Australian
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney

I remember NR circa 2004 being an absolute sharpshooter before deteriorating into goal kicking mediocrity

He’s still 19. Most key forwards are only just debuting by this point in their careers. He hasn’t had the luxury of dominating in the reserves and looking like a star, he’d had to learn on the fly, so he’s held up well all things considered and I think he looks made to play inside 50.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
This was mentioned in the commentary yesterday, but is worth stating again. He has a great reach and times his leap for marks perfectly so he's still in the contest when a defender thinks they've got him out of position. It's something that will be a massive asset throughout his career.

His second set shot attempt at a goal yesterday followed some great play between he and Dawson. McCartin was almost grinning as he took the perfectly weighted Dawson pass.

I remember Lockett leading and getting multiple lace out passes from Paul Kelly, including the one when he broke Coventry's record. I can remember how much Plugger admired Kell. McCartin and Dawson won't reach the heights of Plugger and Kell but I expect that at the end of their careers the two will be as close.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
IMO we should look at Paddy McCartin if Saints don't want him. There is a reason Saints fans call him mattress, but he has potential, would come cheap, we're in need of a key forward, and would add incentive for Tom to stay in Sydney.
whoa. thats putting it out there. maybe we should sign both and offer a split deal. Daniher and P mccartin. if you get on the park you get 70% of the combined deal. no space left in our forward line for anyone else though

Bear31

Club Legend
Feb 15, 2020
AFL Club
Sydney
whoa. thats putting it out there. maybe we should sign both and offer a split deal. Daniher and P mccartin. if you get on the park you get 70% of the combined deal. no space left in our forward line for anyone else though
I think our forward group is quite full. its our mids and tall backs that need attention in the next draft trade period

I disagree there's no space. I still think our midfield should be the priority but I don't see a clear future star forward. Blakey and McCartin show a lot of promise sure, but are either gonna be good for 50+ goals as a key forward? Buddy's closer to retirement than he is his prime. Ditto Sinclair. Reid's self-explanatory. Amartey I'm not seeing it. So I think while we have a pretty impressive forward line, there's still no major presence there (yet) looking into the future.

No guarantees Paddy McCartin would be any better of course, but can't hurt to have options?

IMO we should look at Paddy McCartin if Saints don't want him. There is a reason Saints fans call him mattress, but he has potential, would come cheap, we're in need of a key forward, and would add incentive for Tom to stay in Sydney.

The Saints delisted him.

He isn't in the AFL system any more and is effectively retired.

tom has an important year or 2 to become the player he looks like he can be or become Reid 2.0

He is only 20. As a key forward he'd typically only be debuting right now, so there's no rush with him as far as I'm concerned. He's also shown more physicality in his first two seasons than Reid has in his whole career, so like Hayward with Rohan, I find the comparing developing young players to duds from our past to be unfair.

He is only 20. As a key forward he'd typically only be debuting right now, so there's no rush with him as far as I'm concerned. He's also shown more physicality in his first two seasons than Reid has in his whole career, so like Hayward with Rohan, I find the comparing developing young players to duds from our past to be unfair.

reid was a promising young forward with a bright future back in the day

never said there was a rush, but you have to make progress

reid was a promising young forward with a bright future back in the day

never said there was a rush, but you have to make progress

Progress is a long haul though. There will be ebbs and flows, players development doesn't just go up and up and up until they become a star. Will be important not to panic in the inevitable ebbs.

As for Reid, I never saw a bright future with Reid because I always felt he lacked the physicality and strength required of a key forward. I don't have those concerns with McCartin as he's shown already in his very young career that he is a competitive beast who will always have a crack and give his all.

Progress is a long haul though. There will be ebbs and flows, players development doesn't just go up and up and up until they become a star. Will be important not to panic in the inevitable ebbs.

As for Reid, I never saw a bright future with Reid because I always felt he lacked the physicality and strength required of a key forward. I don't have those concerns with McCartin as he's shown already in his very young career that he is a competitive beast who will always have a crack and give his all.

ok

ScottBo

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Fun fact of the day. Tom has already notched up 35 games, exactly the same number as his highly touted older brother has played.

Let's hope both of them move off the number soon.

Fun fact of the day. Tom has already notched up 35 games, exactly the same number as his highly touted older brother has played.

Let's hope both of them move off the number soon.
That is so sad for Paddy, all the talent in the world but an unwilling head.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back