Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
He has a unique opportunity: to become the only player in the entire AFL to be drafted as a <199cm key forward at below pick 14 and average 2+ goals per game.

We are good at providing unique opportunities & making magic happen.
We provided them to a couple blokes called Kennelly & Pyke who are unique in that they won premierships only 3 or 4 years after touching an AFL football.

Scratching my head trying to think of any other player from another country that has had a similar unique opportunity offered to them by a club.
Surely there must be someone.

To be honest the Swans are pretty terrible at drafting and then developing key forwards as every successful key forward we have had in recent history we have gotten from other clubs (eg Hall, Franklin, Tippett etc). We thought Reid was going to be a key forward but he is more of a utility, and Johnston was very much a bust.

Only key(ish) forward we have developed on our own was O'Loughlin and he has been retired for about 8 years now.

We provided them to a couple blokes called Kennelly & Pyke who are unique in that they won premierships only 3 or 4 years after touching an AFL football.

Scratching my head trying to think of any other player from another country that has had a similar unique opportunity offered to them by a club.
Jim Stynes wasn't that long ago.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.

Our club is perhaps a bit better in the modern era at development than the average and we have some decent rookies etc but we are simply not amazeballs at recruiting or anything.

Jim Stynes wasn't that long ago.

Not exactly sure what you are trying to say.

Our club is perhaps a bit better in the modern era at development than the average and we have some decent rookies etc but we are simply not amazeballs at recruiting or anything.

There you go.
Jim Stynes! A remarkable & unique footballer so you do know what I am trying to say.
Jim was an amazeballs Brownlow Medalist but not a premiership player & our two unique players weren't amazeballs Brownlow Medalists, but they were premiership players.

Not sure there are any more out there in AFL land. Happy for someone to alert me to one though as I did forget about Jimmy.

To be honest the Swans are pretty terrible at drafting and then developing key forwards as every successful key forward we have had in recent history we have gotten from other clubs (eg Hall, Franklin, Tippett etc). We thought Reid was going to be a key forward but he is more of a utility, and Johnston was very much a bust.

Only key(ish) forward we have developed on our own was O'Loughlin and he has been retired for about 8 years now.
That's great news, means we are due then to develop a very good KPF. Welcome to the Swans Tom.

The best key forward prospects all go with early picks something we haven't had a lot of, other than Johnston we haven't picked a key in the first round for a long time.

Cant see how we're terrible at drafting key forwards or developing them for that matter if we haven't been in a position to draft them.

Roughead
Franklin
Kennedy
Riewoldt
Riewoldt
Patton
All first rounders taken before we had a pick

Cameron
Walker
Lynch
Cloke
Waite
Daniher
Hawkins
Hogan

All father son or pre draft/concession picks.

Johnston is a miss for sure, but Reid was a 3rd round selection and has certainly delivered in relation to the position he was drafted.

McCartin didnt play last year Essentially played his draft year back from being severely hampered, as an under ager, and as the CHF for premiership side.

exciting prospect no doubt

if he continues to grow could be a real big deal and blow the rd1 kpf stat imo

McCartin didnt play last year Essentially played his draft year back from being severely hampered, as an under ager, and as the CHF for premiership side.

exciting prospect no doubt

if he continues to grow could be a real big deal and blow the rd1 kpf stat imo

It would be interesting to reflect next year on what position he would have been taken in next years draft as he was the youngest player drafted this year, will do year 12 next year and probably play football in the TAC cup/School.

ie. Would he have been a first round KPF next year on improvement that the Swans recruiters are expecting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be interesting to reflect next year on what position he would have been taken in next years draft as he was the youngest player drafted this year, will do year 12 next year and probably play football in the TAC cup/School.

ie. Would he have been a first round KPF next year on improvement that the Swans recruiters are expecting

I am interested to see how much he grows in the next year as well as he is already 193cm which is just KPF territory but he isn't even 18 yet so he probably has more growing in him. He will probably end up being 196cm which is the perfect size.

I am interested to see how much he grows in the next year as well as he is already 193cm which is just KPF territory but he isn't even 18 yet so he probably has more growing in him. He will probably end up being 196cm which is the perfect size.

It is definitely a pick for the future, not just because a KPF but given that he nominated at such a young age.

This is not necessarily for you, but does anyone know the last key position player that nominated for the draft while still in year 11 and selected?

It is definitely a pick for the future, not just because a KPF but given that he nominated at such a young age.

This is not necessarily for you, but does anyone know the last key position player that nominated for the draft while still in year 11 and selected?

Josh Battle in the 2016 draft. He was still going to school this year and played one or two games for St Kilda this year too.

Bloke called Jim Stynes went all right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As mentioned in an earlier post, Jim great but no premiership.

I find it interesting that in this discussion you are basing the qualifier and pass mark around being a premiership player.

In all other discussions you base the pass mark around Sydney giving it the good old college try and doing super well or something.

Not winning the premiership is equally as good as winning it with us. Because shut up or something.

Why does Stynes have to win a flag to be unique?

FWANnwX.png

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/11/23/inside-footballs-draft-prospect-profiles-j-m/

I find it interesting that in this discussion you are basing the qualifier and pass mark around being a premiership player.

In all other discussions you base the pass mark around Sydney giving it the good old college try and doing super well or something.

Not winning the premiership is equally as good as winning it with us. Because shut up or something.

Why does Stynes have to win a flag to be unique?

I think the both of us don't know what your saying.

The best key forward prospects all go with early picks something we haven't had a lot of, other than Johnston we haven't picked a key in the first round for a long time.

Cant see how we're terrible at drafting key forwards or developing them for that matter if we haven't been in a position to draft them.

Roughead
Franklin
Kennedy
Riewoldt
Riewoldt
Patton
All first rounders taken before we had a pick

Cameron
Walker
Lynch
Cloke
Waite
Daniher
Hawkins
Hogan

All father son or pre draft/concession picks.

Johnston is a miss for sure, but Reid was a 3rd round selection and has certainly delivered in relation to the position he was drafted.

Reid plays like a 3rd round selection. Good but not great

Remove this Banner Ad

Back