Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolute gun. Just gets a hand or a fingertip to every ball. He can't be taken out of a contest. And he's still only 21! Imagine how immovable he will be when he's at the peak of his strength!

That's the underrated thing about him imo: when he gets good body position and engages his legs, you can't move him off it. Doesn't look that strong but it shows in his play and when he's 26 he'll be impossible to shift.

Yeah I'm stunned at how quickly I've gone from "I really think he should stay forward" to "we have a 300 game key defender here"
I remember wishing he was a forward because we didn’t have Buddy, Heeney or Logan and Reid was trying to hold the forward line together with Papley.

Dark days...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On Nokia 7.1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's the underrated thing about him imo: when he gets good body position and engages his legs, you can't move him off it. Doesn't look that strong but it shows in his play and when he's 26 he'll be impossible to shift.
During the Swans 2020 pre-season.. according to his team mates, McCartin was the player that they didn't want to come up against in the wrestling / body / strength work, as he was too strong... only just turned 20yo then!!

During the Swans 2020 pre-season.. according to his team mates, McCartin was the player that they didn't want to come up against in the wrestling / body / strength work, as he was too strong... only just turned 20yo then!!
I suspect you can thank Paddy for that. There are only so many humiliating take downs a younger brother can receive before he starts to fight back.

From the AFL app

Tom McCartin has today become the first Swan to record at least 10 spoils, 10 intercepts and 10 marks in the same game since all of these measures have been recorded (2002)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back