Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin - bringing opposition forward entries to ground

RUNVS

Hall of Famer
AFL Club
Sydney
So Tom had a bad concussion, got tests, the tests showed something worrying, but further tests showed it was something normal for Tom? Is that right?

Also means he still had a bad concussion, but I am hoping it was from a big hit, and not a small one. From memory Blakey got a big concussion last year from a huge hit during a game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Club
Sydney
Moderator #328
So Tom had a bad concussion, got tests, the tests showed something worrying, but further tests showed it was something normal for Tom? Is that right?

Also means he still had a bad concussion, but I am hoping it was from a big hit, and not a small one. From memory Blakey got a big concussion last year from a huge hit during a game.
No from what the club has said he had a knock (doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) and had symptoms that required further testing before he would be cleared to resume training and that's when an MRI picked up possible damage to an artery (again something that doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) so further testing was done which found it was an abnormality that Tom was born with and not something that posed a risk to him short or long term.

Arwib

Club Legend
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders, PAFC

I'm not sure what the scan protocol is and how bad a concussion has to be for an MRI, but they may have been extra cautious given his family history with them.

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC
But why did he have to report it. Don't send things out into the public domain - especially sensitive and serious things such as this - based on interpretation. It was pure speculation. At the time of Browne's reporting, McCartin could have been lights out on his career, or he could've resumed training in a week or two. The spectrum was so wide and the possibilities so vast that to just float any theory or projection is flat-out irresponsible and unprofessional for someone with a journalism degree.
Great post , as my last one was deleted.

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC
No from what the club has said he had a knock (doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) and had symptoms that required further testing before he would be cleared to resume training and that's when an MRI picked up possible damage to an artery (again something that doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) so further testing was done which found it was an abnormality that Tom was born with and not something that posed a risk to him short or long term.
As I posted Rob, it was in the same area that brought down a great fella , so we can be happy that our club took all precaution .

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
So as we speak, top 4 is not out of the question, yeah?😉

On a serious note, I watched the GWS match for a second time on a bigger screen.
I noticed something that I didn’t notice on my iPad.
We’ll seriously challenge for the flag this year.😀

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC
So as we speak, top 4 is not out of the question, yeah?😉

On a serious note, I watched the GWS match for a second time on a bigger screen.
I noticed something that I didn’t notice on my iPad.
We’ll seriously challenge for the flag this year.😀
Wrong thread lol

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Banyo Bloods

Premiership Player
AFL Club
Sydney
Got to give Horse his credit - when he fronts the media, his straight no nonsense reporting of matters like these without outrage at what was reported is why he comes across as a decent person. Got plenty of his knockers but he seems to genuinely care about the welfare of players and their family in keeping things balanced and not reactive.

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC
Got to give Horse his credit - when he fronts the media, his straight no nonsense reporting of matters like these without outrage at what was reported is why he comes across as a decent person. Got plenty of his knockers but he seems to genuinely care about the welfare of players and their family in keeping things balanced and not reactive.
Yes he spoke very well and has genuine concern for all. He explained it in a manner journo's wouldn't.

BruceFromBalnarring

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
But why did he have to report it. Don't send things out into the public domain - especially sensitive and serious things such as this - based on interpretation. It was pure speculation. At the time of Browne's reporting, McCartin could have been lights out on his career, or he could've resumed training in a week or two. The spectrum was so wide and the possibilities so vast that to just float any theory or projection is flat-out irresponsible and unprofessional for someone with a journalism degree.
Not sure I've ever agreed with a post more.

Journalism seems to have become less reporting of news and more "breathless must be first to tweet out my take...."

With dangerous consequences.

bedford

Brownlow Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC
Club and McCartin's wanted to keep it quiet, Tom Browne probably wet his pants to break the "career ending" story when it shouldn't have been reported at all until after the event.

Some of the AFL journalists are on Trump's level!
I knew for a few days , but when Browne opened his mouth I thought put up the truth. Browne is another scum who's idol is another campaigner in Luke Darcy.

S120

Norm Smith Medallist
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Other than a few moments where he was easily beaten by Cripps resting as a forward (no shame in that), he was really solid. No way I'd be moving him next week after that performance.

Top Bottom