Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Tom McCartin.jpg

Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
So Tom had a bad concussion, got tests, the tests showed something worrying, but further tests showed it was something normal for Tom? Is that right?

Also means he still had a bad concussion, but I am hoping it was from a big hit, and not a small one. From memory Blakey got a big concussion last year from a huge hit during a game.

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
So Tom had a bad concussion, got tests, the tests showed something worrying, but further tests showed it was something normal for Tom? Is that right?

Also means he still had a bad concussion, but I am hoping it was from a big hit, and not a small one. From memory Blakey got a big concussion last year from a huge hit during a game.

No from what the club has said he had a knock (doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) and had symptoms that required further testing before he would be cleared to resume training and that's when an MRI picked up possible damage to an artery (again something that doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) so further testing was done which found it was an abnormality that Tom was born with and not something that posed a risk to him short or long term.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders

I'm not sure what the scan protocol is and how bad a concussion has to be for an MRI, but they may have been extra cautious given his family history with them.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
But why did he have to report it. Don't send things out into the public domain - especially sensitive and serious things such as this - based on interpretation. It was pure speculation. At the time of Browne's reporting, McCartin could have been lights out on his career, or he could've resumed training in a week or two. The spectrum was so wide and the possibilities so vast that to just float any theory or projection is flat-out irresponsible and unprofessional for someone with a journalism degree.
Great post , as my last one was deleted.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
No from what the club has said he had a knock (doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) and had symptoms that required further testing before he would be cleared to resume training and that's when an MRI picked up possible damage to an artery (again something that doesn't matter if its a big hit or a small hit) so further testing was done which found it was an abnormality that Tom was born with and not something that posed a risk to him short or long term.
As I posted Rob, it was in the same area that brought down a great fella , so we can be happy that our club took all precaution .

Oct 9, 2001
2, 4, 6, 8
AFL Club
Sydney
As I posted Rob, it was in the same area that brought down a great fella , so we can be happy that our club took all precaution .

Indeed, you were on the money on that one. I'm glad the club did take as much time, care and precaution as they needed. So yes happy with how the club handled it

Got to give Horse his credit - when he fronts the media, his straight no nonsense reporting of matters like these without outrage at what was reported is why he comes across as a decent person. Got plenty of his knockers but he seems to genuinely care about the welfare of players and their family in keeping things balanced and not reactive.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Got to give Horse his credit - when he fronts the media, his straight no nonsense reporting of matters like these without outrage at what was reported is why he comes across as a decent person. Got plenty of his knockers but he seems to genuinely care about the welfare of players and their family in keeping things balanced and not reactive.
Yes he spoke very well and has genuine concern for all. He explained it in a manner journo's wouldn't.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
But why did he have to report it. Don't send things out into the public domain - especially sensitive and serious things such as this - based on interpretation. It was pure speculation. At the time of Browne's reporting, McCartin could have been lights out on his career, or he could've resumed training in a week or two. The spectrum was so wide and the possibilities so vast that to just float any theory or projection is flat-out irresponsible and unprofessional for someone with a journalism degree.

Not sure I've ever agreed with a post more.

Journalism seems to have become less reporting of news and more "breathless must be first to tweet out my take...."

With dangerous consequences.

Club and McCartin's wanted to keep it quiet, Tom Browne probably wet his pants to break the "career ending" story when it shouldn't have been reported at all until after the event.

Some of the AFL journalists are on Trump's level!

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Club and McCartin's wanted to keep it quiet, Tom Browne probably wet his pants to break the "career ending" story when it shouldn't have been reported at all until after the event.

Some of the AFL journalists are on Trump's level!
I knew for a few days , but when Browne opened his mouth I thought put up the truth. Browne is another scum who's idol is another campaigner in Luke Darcy.

Back