Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Tom McCartin.jpg

Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just had a chat to an ex player who looks after young AFL talent & his information is that it is a very significant concussion likely to keep him from playing for a while.
The club will surely not risk the young man's long term health so I wouldn't expect Tom to play the first half of the season if at all according to what I just heard. Sorry to bring that news folks.

Do you know about the concussion itself? Was it a huge hit which would concuss anyone for ages, or was it a small one that has seemingly caused much more damage than you would think? I know Paddy McCartin has been knocked out several times by what looked like tiny hits to the head. I am actually hoping it was a huge hit that would have affected anyone, and not an indication of an issue that is more related to McCartin's body itself.

Do you know about the concussion itself? Was it a huge hit which would concuss anyone for ages, or was it a small one that has seemingly caused much more damage than you would think? I know Paddy McCartin has been knocked out several times by what looked like tiny hits to the head. I am actually hoping it was a huge hit that would have affected anyone, and not an indication of an issue that is more related to McCartin's body itself.

It's a myth that a person needs to receive a significant/hard/huge knock to the head in order to be concussed.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Just had a chat to an ex player who looks after young AFL talent & his information is that it is a very significant concussion likely to keep him from playing for a while.
The club will surely not risk the young man's long term health so I wouldn't expect Tom to play the first half of the season if at all according to what I just heard. Sorry to bring that news folks.

Thanks for sharing Ted.

Certainly the clubs release last night, clearly in direct response to the news story, with very little detail indeed has left me quite concerned for Tom.

It’s not like the club to keep that kind of thing hush hush (General concussion/ incident at training resulting in injury), and even once exposed still keep the details extremely scant.

Hopefully all is well for him.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It's a myth that a person needs to receive a significant/hard/huge knock to the head in order to be concussed.

True, but Jordan Lewis' concussion a number of years ago was not an indication of him being susceptible to a concussion as it was such a big hit that anyone would have been knocked out by it. However, Paddy McCartin has had a few concussions in recent years where the actual hit to the head seemed quite light, and I think most players would not have been affected like he was. I am just trying to find out if McCartin's hit was more like Jordan Lewis, which might not indicate as much of a problem on Tom's part, or if it was seemingly a small hit that affected him a lot.

True, but Jordan Lewis' concussion a number of years ago was not an indication of him being susceptible to a concussion as it was such a big hit that anyone would have been knocked out by it. However, Paddy McCartin has had a few concussions in recent years where the actual hit to the head seemed quite light, and I think most players would not have been affected like he was. I am just trying to find out if McCartin's hit was more like Jordan Lewis, which might not indicate as much of a problem on Tom's part, or if it was seemingly a small hit that affected him a lot.

Concussion is not a simple issue, with a straightforward explanation.

Tedeski

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 2, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Mava Fan Cooler

He did not say Runvs but he would have good general knowledge of things going on such as such an injury. On a side note we discussed AFLX. He wasn't wrapped with it & was also a little concerned that Gaff was allowed to play & earn a quid from such a game while still suspended.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
He was the youngest player in the comp last year, key position forwards take a long time to develop, we have a number of forward opportunities right now, no need to rush him through anything.

Jun 14, 2011
Queensland
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
Sounds like it's going to be a long year ahead for Tmac. I hope it's not a serious as every thinks it might be and he gets back playing sooner rather than later. I also hope Tom and the club take a very cautious approach to Tom's career hear on and learn from his brother, wear a helmet for the rest of your career Tom.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Sounds like it's going to be a long year ahead for Tmac. I hope it's not a serious as every thinks it might be and he gets back playing sooner rather than later. I also hope Tom and the club take a very cautious approach to Tom's career hear on and learn from his brother, wear a helmet for the rest of your career Tom.

I am positive the club is going to be cautious. There is no way they are going to play him if they think he has an increased risk of further concussions.

He did not say Runvs but he would have good general knowledge of things going on such as such an injury. On a side note we discussed AFLX. He wasn't wrapped with it & was also a little concerned that Gaff was allowed to play & earn a quid from such a game while still suspended.

Gaff was unlucky to get 8 weeks in the first place. Unpopular opinion I know.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-22/doubt-swirls-over-swans-key-forward-after-head-knock

McCartin, 19, suffered concussion in a training mishap and has since been on restricted duties.

A news report suggested there were fears the injury was so serious it could jeopardise the young key forward's season and potentially even his career, but the Swans rejected that assertion and hope to have a clearer timeframe for McCartin's recovery after he receives more examinations in coming days.

RobbieK

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
Good to hear the club is confident it isn't career ending. There is no need to rush back a 19 year old key position player from any sort of injury, I'm happy for the club to be overly cautious about this and take all the time they need to make sure he is able to come back safely.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-22/doubt-swirls-over-swans-key-forward-after-head-knock

McCartin, 19, suffered concussion in a training mishap and has since been on restricted duties.

A news report suggested there were fears the injury was so serious it could jeopardise the young key forward's season and potentially even his career, but the Swans rejected that assertion and hope to have a clearer timeframe for McCartin's recovery after he receives more examinations in coming days.

That could be good news, but in saying that even if the Swans were really really worried about McCartin going forward I suspect they would say the same thing as they have said above. They are not going to say "this could be the end" or anything like that.

Jul 20, 2001
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
That could be good news, but in saying that even if the Swans were really really worried about McCartin going forward I suspect they would say the same thing as they have said above. They are not going to say "this could be the end" or anything like that.

Well you can read the quote that the Swans reject that as being known information. They reject it, because it isn’t fact as all of the facts are not known yet as indicated further in the article that more tests will determine the timeframe of recovery.

On face value it seems like he had some kind of contact to the head, hasn’t recovered from the concussion symptoms that followed and they are going to do some tests to find out what best path to take with his recovery.

Can the next person who sights Tom Brown give him an absolute gobful. What a headline grabbing ..........

Even if Browne was totally on the money, it’s still inexcusable.

Imagine his loved ones who may not have known outside of say his parents and siblings. A headline flashes up saying their 19 year old relative has “suffered head injury serious enough to end his career, but oh we don’t actually have any details yet. Back to you Sandra!” This is why journalists need to be held accountable for every facet of their job, even something as seemingly minute as their wording. One article can have serious ramifications, so that should be the first priority, not how quickly they can get it to the airwaves/internet.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
Not good news for Tom . The knock he received was in the same place that Phil Hughes was struck. Still doing tests and if it comes up the wrong way he will probably never play again. Also even if it's ok ,he still might miss the season. Absolutely shattering for the kid . Lets not worry about the club , but pray for the kid.

Not good news for Tom . The knock he received was in the same place that Phil Hughes was struck. Still doing tests and if it comes up the wrong way he will probably never play again. Also even if it's ok ,he still might miss the season. Absolutely shattering for the kid . Lets not worry about the club , but pray for the kid.

well said,

his ongoing health is number 1 here

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

The club is not important right now. A few days ago I was talking about how we had to make sure McCartin got games in 2019 because he along with Blakey were the future of our forward line and would be the staples in 5 years time, but none of that matters now. The Swans forward line does not matter, all that matters is McCartin's health and if he can't play ever again then I would much prefer knowing that than sending him out again and possibly doing some damage that will affect him for the rest of his life.

Oct 29, 2007
Lake Oval
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
SMFC. PMFC,OAFC
The club is not important right now. A few days ago I was talking about how we had to make sure McCartin got games in 2019 because he along with Blakey were the future of our forward line and would be the staples in 5 years time, but none of that matters now. The Swans forward line does not matter, all that matters is McCartin's health and if he can't play ever again then I would much prefer knowing that than sending him out again and possibly doing some damage that will affect him for the rest of his life.
They still don't know , but no chances will be taken.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
So we're still doing tests and we don't know the severity of his injury?

Back