Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
This is our most important player and I tend to think it’s by a fair margin. For example, I think we can lose Gulden and we’d be absolutely a worse side but our unique weapons in Chad and Blakey would be able to take up some of the slack in terms of their run, overlap, and kicking skills around the ground. Heeney would get more time and our other wings also would get more opportunities. Losing Gulden would be a true nightmare but I think losing McCartin would absolutely ruin us to an even greater degree. He’s so damn consistently good and we’d have to replace him with Francis or Hamling. They’re both solid AFL players but probably nothing more.

I really hope McCartin makes an AA team or wins a Stilton soon, he deserves it.

Agree although this year it might be Grundy as our most crucial player.

Feels destined for the Heath Grundy AA club

But he is Elite

Feels destined for the Heath Grundy AA club

But he is Elite

A lot of good defenders at the moment- Sam Taylor from GWS should have multiple AA’s already

I like Mills as sole skipper but if they ever did go back to 3 or are looking for a leader this guy is up there imo.

He is elite in his defensive work and also ability to set up play and organise the defence.

I just like the way he goes about it on field , is criminally underrated in the comp

I like Mills as sole skipper but if they ever did go back to 3 or are looking for a leader this guy is up there imo.

He is elite in his defensive work and also ability to set up play and organise the defence.

I just like the way he goes about it on field , is criminally underrated in the comp

He was magnificent last night. His base game is just being outstanding.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back