Player Watch #30 Tom McCartin

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom McCartin.jpg
Tom McCartin

Player Profile

In an indication of Tom McCartin’s rapid rise, the young Sydney Swans forward had played 34 AFL games by the end of his teenage years – and that was despite being the youngest player in the league in his debut 2018 season. The Geelong Falcons product has a brilliant marking ability and presents a tall target inside 50, although coach John Longmire has also used him as a key defender. McCartin is the younger brother of number one 2014 AFL Draft pick Paddy, who played 35 AFL games with St Kilda.

Tom McCartin

DOB: 30 December 1999
DRAFT: 2017
RECRUITED FROM: St Joseph's (Vic)/St Joseph's, Geel (Vic)/Geel Gram (Vic)/Geel U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Just keep him in the 22 for now. Would be no different than locking in Hayward last year who was MIA plenty of times. Get talent in the team. Not like he has much KPF competition at the moment.

Decent debut for McCartin in a game that really did a debutant no favours, but he had a crack. There's definitely something there. When Buddy returns, McCartin plies his trade in the NEAFL and down the road comes back with one accomplishment ticked off the bucket list and a lot more confidence.

I thought it was a pretty good debut. He is mobile, has a decent engine and is fierce at the contest. He showed the potential to be a bullocking tough forward. Just needs to attend the Plugger/Davis finishing school to sharpen his kicking

Would like to see him play next week if there is any doubt Buddy's fitness.

He and Ronke have the wherewithal and nous of real footballers, they have a really natural feel for the game and know where their teammates are. That's what I really like so far about both of them.

I was impressed with McCartin's will to work hard and present and contest for a young guy. That effort in the last quarter was sensational, he was at HF and looked completely gassed, contested a high ball and brought it to ground, then got back into another contest at ground level and beat everyone to the ball and drew a free while still looking completely exhausted. Strong will to work hard it looks to me.

Just keep him in the 22 for now. Would be no different than locking in Hayward last year who was MIA plenty of times. Get talent in the team. Not like he has much KPF competition at the moment.

Still raw. A couple a years away. Very mature man for an 18 year old

I see him as a Tippett replacement, (not in abillty, but what he offers to the gameplan).

Crash packs, and bring the damn ball to ground. SInkers sucks at this,

He will energize our small forwards and they will feast off the scraps.

Kick a few himself here and there.

Yep. He, Ollie, Hayburner and Ronke all have footy smarts to go with their abilities. These attributes are really hard to teach.

Fair bit of tenacity as well. They seem to want to make things happen for themselves rather than shy away from the contest or doing the selfish thing etc. Sometimes it will pay off, other times it won't, but it's awesome to see and been very important this year when so many of our senior blokes have been up and down.

Yep. He, Ollie, Hayburner and Ronke all have footy smarts to go with their abilities. These attributes are really hard to teach.

It's been part of a recent attempt by the club to go for speed, skill and smarts in the National Draft. You could track it back to 2013 when the club started to address our widely acknowledged poor skills. It's brought the following in:
Zak Jones, George Hewett, Aliir Aliir, Isaac Heeney, James Rose, Jack Hiscox, Callum Mills, Tyrone Leonardis, Jordan Dawson, Oliver Florent, Will Hayward, Matthew Ling, Tom McCartin, Rhyley Stoddart

Not all of the picks have paid off obviously but you can see the club has made football smarts, pace, and skill targets over the last 5 years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love this guy. Would keep him in the team when Reid is back. Have one of them stay home with Buddy and the other up the ground being a link man.

McCartin and Reid are playing for the same position or can we play both?
Considering we have no elite disposal by foot in the side we'd be better off playing both. The more contested marking options the better. Having said that McCartin is still young and doesn't really impact the whole game so I can see why he would be dropped.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back