Player Watch #31: Bayley ‘Slick’ Fritsch

Remove this Banner Ad

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne
He should've been paid that mark in the goalsquare which would've truly sealed the game for us earlier. Shame.

His ability to go back has been amazing for us too.

We are all probably underrating him.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He should've been paid that mark in the goalsquare which would've truly sealed the game for us earlier. Shame.

His ability to go back has been amazing for us too.

We are all probably underrating him.

I don't, he has the quality to win a couple BNFs for us an make AA. He's a star

Has so many attributes we lack as a side and it stands out like dogs balls.
He's as good as anyone in our team with ball in hand and disposing by foot and when he flies for a mark he looks like he's going to clunk it every time.
Love him, could be anything

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think he's underrated by Melbourne supporters but I'm not sure he gets too much notice from other supporters. Though I had a conversation with a mate a few weeks back, my Geelong supporting mate mentioned he thought Fritsch is a good player and he referenced what Tim Watson said on the channel 7 coverage when he marked and goal on debut. Apparently Watson said 'gee that's a good mark' along those lines. I guess anyone that follows the game closely may have taken notice.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I know his stamina will continue to improve with another full pre-season. But we do need to be careful not to bulk him up to much. He's wiry and agile and well balanced. I don't want to detract from that.

I reckon we did that with Brad Green.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I don't, he has the quality to win a couple BNFs for us an make AA. He's a star
How dare you try to take future BnFs away from my boy?

Bayley can have top 5 finishes, a couple of AAs if he’s good and maybe a guitar hero place getter but the minute MFC deny Clarry his rightful crowns is when I’m burning down the club.

Last edited:

Dancing Potato

Premiership Player
Jul 7, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brings more to the team than Salem imo

Probably a fair call. Fritsch immediately filled a need with his good ball use and marking ability, particularly with Watts traded and Lever going down.

That said, I'm quietly confident that Salem will be a very solid career contributor. He's certainly been a slow burn but I'm willing to have patience given his health concerns.

With Lewis, Vince and Jones winding up I think the next few years will be the making of Salem.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Probably a fair call. Fritsch immediately filled a need with his good ball use and marking ability, particularly with Watts traded and Lever going down.

That said, I'm quietly confident that Salem will be a very solid career contributor. He's certainly been a slow burn but I'm willing to have patience given his health concerns.

With Lewis, Vince and Jones winding up I think the next few years will be the making of Salem.
Different cats so it’s a silly comparison. Salem is a slow burn and had some genuine interruptions illness and injury-wise. Bayley has hit the team as a mature age ready player. Comparisons between the two make no sense.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
How dare you try to take future BnFs away from my boy?

Bayley can have rope 5 finishes, a couple of AAs if he’s good and maybe a guitar hero place getter but the minute MFC deny Clarry his rightful crowns is when I’m burning down the club.

Oliver's lucky to be in the team. Don't see anything worth persisting with. Trade.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Oliver's lucky to be in the team. Don't see anything worth persisting with. Trade.
I try not to have bad thoughts, but you can die and I’d be okay with that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He certainly belongs out there.

Will end up in the leadership group one day me thinks. Has a good head on his shoulders.

Inb4 he does an "Andrew Gaff".

Jordie_tackles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
G-town
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
MCFC, COBC, GWFC, TFC
Is he looking bigger than a couple of months ago? He could be a even bigger weapon if he gets serious size in that frame.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Had to sacrifice his game for the good of the team, clearly more natural forward but I can understand the role he is playing.

There's probably another handful of blokes like him out there in the state leagues who just need a chance

Oct 13, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Blackhawks, 76ers
There's probably another handful of blokes like him out there in the state leagues who just need a chance
There is a bloke who plays for Aspley up here named Matt Payne, who just won his 3rd NEAFL MVP award, and had won 2 Grogan Medal's in the QAFL before the NEAFL. He's in his early 30's now, but it's a crime he never got a chance in the AFL. Dayne Zorko before he was drafted couldn't have tied his boots when they played head to head, probably a bit small, and could be cleaner by foot, but he's an unbelievable player.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
There is a bloke who plays for Aspley up here named Matt Payne, who just won his 3rd NEAFL MVP award, and had won 2 Grogan Medal's in the QAFL before the NEAFL. He's in his early 30's now, but it's a crime he never got a chance in the AFL. Dayne Zorko before he was drafted couldn't have tied his boots when they played head to head, probably a bit small, and could be cleaner by foot, but he's an unbelievable player.

I reckon their should be a supplement list for blokes 21 and older who have never been on an AFL list, reckon you would find a few more players

degustation

Senior List
Jul 14, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
Moving him back after his experience forward makes him an added asset for us - as seen when he kicked that goal against Adelaide, he's dangerous when he does push back into forward 50 because he knows where the goals are. Woe is any side that lets him creep unmarked up from defence.

Back