Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If I hear the coaching staff say he 'tackles hard' and does team things Ill throw up -Terry Topkent

Dont do any tackling training, dont ******* run around the oval. Lean forward on your ******* set shots and take 100 at training every day and if you miss more than 2 in every 10. You can sleep on the ******* oval. Kicked a massive goal on the 3qt time siren but outside that he hurts us. Think it was Crusty Demon who said it but he leads deep into the pockets way too often and always has to kick difficult ones.

ABray10

All Australian
Aug 30, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think he leads to where the space is, which happens to be the pockets most often. Takes plenty of marks inside 50 so will have a lot of shots but desperately needs to practice his kicking. There are players out there who would be 50/50 from the angles he is kicking from whereas he is probably 1 in 10 at best

Jamurp

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
I'm happy to back him in as he looks a really intelligent forward, but he's gotta learn to find the ball in better positions, no wonder if kicking scores of 1.3 or 2.4 when he's shooting from wide in the pocket most of the time. Reckon we have to persist for now.

Grimesy87

Cancelled
May 22, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
He plays far too deep. If he can get 40-80m from goal, he will be a far bigger asset. 2 of his misses were very tight, but as others said he lays back too far on his set shot kicking. I used to think he was going to improve, but in his 4th year with the club now and still hasn't improved his goal kicking.

It's a real shame as he does a lot of good things, but he's quite deflating when he gets on the end of good lead up play and misses these set shots inside 40m.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
I got so annoyed with him missing set shots I decided to look up his stats:

2018 - 17.12
2019 - 20.16
2020 - 22.24
2021 - 3.4

So you can see in 2020 his accuracy dropped off a bit but it's nowhere near as bad as I thought, it just looks horrible and is frustrating when you see him miss easy shots.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I've only watched the first quarter of the replay but the two shots he missed it looked like he was running the wrong line. His first shot he moved towards the right and his second he moved to the left. It's subtle but it's there. His kicks were actually pretty good but the problem was he was running towards the beginds.

Choco was brought in to fix kicking, Bayley is at the top of the list surely.

It's not even the misses that are shitting me (though they are a good portion of it), it's the lack of confidence when he does inevitably miss some early ones that lead to poor decisions for the rest of the game where he tries to avoid the responsibility of taking set shots is even worse.

Marns

Back from the dead
Sep 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Maybe it's just because he's a lefty, but his set shot style reminds me so much of Brad Green.

I feel like way too many players take their full 30 seconds simply because they can, when they'd be better served just going back and kicking it. 30 seconds is too much time to think about it.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
If I was Fritsch I would simply kick the ball straight through the middle of the big sticks. No two ways about it.
This is far too simple for the modern footballer to understand with their running patterns and their brands and their structures and their systems and their processes and their load management.
You gotta jazz it up a bit or say it's come from a study of top European universities

This is far too simple for the modern footballer to understand with their running patterns and their brands and their structures and their systems and their processes and their load management.
You gotta jazz it up a bit or say it's come from a study of top European universities
I’m actually a graduate from the University of Kicking it Through the Middle of the Big Sticks. Geneva Campus.

Maybe it's just because he's a lefty, but his set shot style reminds me so much of Brad Green.

I feel like way too many players take their full 30 seconds simply because they can, when they'd be better served just going back and kicking it. 30 seconds is too much time to think about it.

There is clearly a difference between the two. Green used to get decent momentum through the ball , Fritsch just walks up and gets no momentum when he kicks whatsoever and therefore leans back.

CTHORANGE

Premiership Player
May 7, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Choco was brought in to fix kicking, Bayley is at the top of the list surely.

It's not even the misses that are shitting me (though they are a good portion of it), it's the lack of confidence when he does inevitably miss some early ones that lead to poor decisions for the rest of the game where he tries to avoid the responsibility of taking set shots is even worse.

Yeh when he handed it off that annoyed me even more than if he has just sprayed his shot. He's technique might be off as you say but I reckon he's also losing it between the ears now, yipee yips

Yeh when he handed it off that annoyed me even more than if he has just sprayed his shot. He's technique might be off as you say but I reckon he's also losing it between the ears now, yipee yips
I'll pass on our feedback to him over the fence at Manuka this weekend.
Don't forget to thank me when he kicks 8 straight.

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I can just see you leaning over the fence with an iPad, showing some clips from last week that highlight how he's leaning back and running the wrong line.
Can't believe our coaching team haven't thought of this yet! :tearsofjoy:

Just let him read this thread while he’s on the bench and he won’t miss another shot for the rest of the game

Wear a bucket hat and try to inspire him via Happy Gilmore

Hey Fritsch, you will not kick this goal, you jackass!

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
I can just see you leaning over the fence with an iPad, showing some clips from last week that highlight how he's leaning back and running the wrong line.
Can't believe our coaching team haven't thought of this yet! :tearsofjoy:
I’m hoping the vision has arrows and stuff like this thread

Back