Player Watch #31: Bayley ‘Slick’ Fritsch

Remove this Banner Ad

He (Fritsch) is frustrating as he misses shots that seem like a competent forward should get , then leads out to the "wrong side " for a left footer near the boundary and slots it .
Really hard to tell on the TV but i wonder sometimes if modern players try to get so close to the man on the mark that they end up kicking under the ball rather than through it.
Petracca has a habit of twirling the ball as he has a set shot , and i feel like clipping him over the ear and telling him to "stop it" .

I got so annoyed with him missing set shots I decided to look up his stats:

2018 - 17.12
2019 - 20.16
2020 - 22.24
2021 - 3.4

So you can see in 2020 his accuracy dropped off a bit but it's nowhere near as bad as I thought, it just looks horrible and is frustrating when you see him miss easy shots.

I had thought he was a better shot when he started and that shows he was going at about 60% in his first 2 seasons. I still think a lot forwards in the comp train for those shots from the boundary line and would at least be 50/50. He never gets them.

He's gonna kick us out of a final
Tbh the kick where he laced out whoever it was I50 was more valuable imo. It’s great that he takes so many marks I50 himself and has pings on goal but if he’s not a goal kicker it’s just about hitting Brown and Weideman on the chest from high half forward in a few weeks. Will never be more than a stop gap target. His forward craft is fun to watch though for someone as scrawny as he is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tbh the kick where he laced out whoever it was I50 was more valuable imo. It’s great that he takes so many marks I50 himself and has pings on goal but if he’s not a goal kicker it’s just about hitting Brown and Weideman on the chest from high half forward in a few weeks. Will never be more than a stop gap target. His forward craft is fun to watch though for someone as scrawny as he is.
Don't remember it and he will find more space when he's not the go to key forward later. He's fine. Just picks stupid spots to lead to.

Don't remember it and he will find more space when he's not the go to key forward later. He's fine. Just picks stupid spots to lead to.
He dropped a mark at the top of the goal square early and it was almost like he was shocked to touch the ball there for oncd

Fritsch's DDT attempt on the GWS ducking scum bag (one of many) that lead to Pickett's second or third goal made me laff, should have given the iconic finger wave before delivering it...

THATS WHY THEY CALL HIM SLICK FRITSCH

:sick:
Was she trying to big note herself by giving players ridiculous nicknames and hoping they stick? F***ing horrible commentary. Underwood was so bad I'd rather Derwayne Russell. Commentary has been horrible for awhile now. As cringe as Bruce was towards the end, he's 1000x better than just about anyone on atm. They need to stop giving ex players gigs to do the calling and get professional callers in to do their job. Get recent blokes to do the special comments and get rid of blokes like Ling and Darcy/Richo who are all horrible. What are blokes like Quartermaine and Huddo doing? Jason Bennett? Not perfect but so much better than what we got dished up on the weekend!

Was she trying to big note herself by giving players ridiculous nicknames and hoping they stick? F***ing horrible commentary. Underwood was so bad I'd rather Derwayne Russell. Commentary has been horrible for awhile now. As cringe as Bruce was towards the end, he's 1000x better than just about anyone on atm. They need to stop giving ex players gigs to do the calling and get professional callers in to do their job. Get recent blokes to do the special comments and get rid of blokes like Ling and Darcy/Richo who are all horrible. What are blokes like Quartermaine and Huddo doing? Jason Bennett? Not perfect but so much better than what we got dished up on the weekend!
* it was cringe worthy and 100% of the reason I'm not bothering to watch a replay.

He's a very crafty forward and seems to get easy marks on the lead playing on good interceptors by giving them front position and slipping in behind them/leading out wide. Gave Ridley a bath last year and has played some good games on Haynes (GWS) like this week.

The lead to the opposite pocket for a left footer where he led out as soon as Haynes turned his head was really smart. Great finish from there too.

I don't mind him leading wide if it means the intercepter he's playing on isn't outmarking him. He's a good enough kick to slot them from the pockets when he's on.

Him and Tmac have done a good job not getting outmarked much this year. Big test against the Cats though, who are masters at zoning off and dominating the air.

Would like to see Fritsch getting more ball up around the flanks but out forward line is operating pretty well

fu** it was cringe worthy and 100% of the reason I'm not bothering to watch a replay.
My favourite was when Jordon snapped from the pocket and she said that would be like Jordan or Jordan esq if he pulled that off because you know Michael Jordan was known for kicking snags from the boundary line.

My favourite was when Jordon snapped from the pocket and she said that would be like Jordan or Jordan esq if he pulled that off because you know Michael Jordan was known for kicking snags from the boundary line.
Just mindboggling stuff! Had a good laugh at that as well. I bet she had it written down somewhere that Jordon and Michael Jordan have the same sounding last name and to throw a quip in there somewhere! I bet she was hanging for him to kick a goal! Mozzie Kozzie, Slick Fritsch (supposedly everyone knows him as that) and the Michael Jordan comment should be enough reason to take her off air for good. Cringeworthy stuff. The commentary actually made me feel like turning it off and we were winning. I usually put up with it, but it was so bad. I got no problem with women being a part of the commentary team, I actually quite like Daisy Pearce's comments etc, but Underwood is plain horrible. The tone of her voice is enough to warrant turning it off. No way I watch that game if it wasn't the Dees playing..

Just mindboggling stuff! Had a good laugh at that as well. I bet she had it written down somewhere that Jordon and Michael Jordan have the same sounding last name and to throw a quip in there somewhere! I bet she was hanging for him to kick a goal! Mozzie Kozzie, Slick Fritsch (supposedly everyone knows him as that) and the Michael Jordan comment should be enough reason to take her off air for good. Cringeworthy stuff. The commentary actually made me feel like turning it off and we were winning. I usually put up with it, but it was so bad. I got no problem with women being a part of the commentary team, I actually quite like Daisy Pearce's comments etc, but Underwood is plain horrible. The tone of her voice is enough to warrant turning it off. No way I watch that game if it wasn't the Dees playing..
I get what she is trying to say as in Jordan was a spectacular player and that would have been a spectacular goal but it's a bad comparison. It's the same reason I find quarter back cringe worthy. With the nick names I think you're right she probably had it in her mind to say these things but I don't think it's her personality it just doesn't seem natural. Brian Taylor comes up with some weird nick names but I feel that's just his personality. Obviously this is all speculation as I don't know either of them. Some commentators are best just calling it as is there's no need to inject unnecessary excitement. Tim Lane probably the best just gives a blow by blow call no nonsense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back