Player Watch #31: Bayley ‘Slick’ Fritsch

Remove this Banner Ad

He's already quick now against afl defenders with limited pre season
In a full time environment he will be able to break off from his defender

Do you think he plays forward? To me he looks like a player who might end up back. Beautiful mark and reader of the footy with really nice skills tell me he might be a HBF in years to come.

Draft coverage on SEN said the knock on him was that he's slow, anyone seen if this is the case?

Don’t see where he fits in our back 6 now or in the future.

Well Hunt could move up to the wing which opens a spot but we really do have good depth all over the field.

Does Fristch have the pressure and tackling needed to play forward?

Last edited:
Well Hunt could move up to the wing which opens a spot but we really do have good depth all over the field.

Does Fristch have the pressure and tackling needed to play forward?
Hunt is too good a defender to move to the wing imo.

Remember back in the day when most of the players we drafted were just about automatic Best 22? What a time to be alive.

Hunt is too good a defender to move to the wing imo.

Remember back in the day when most of the players we drafted were just about automatic Best 22? What a time to be alive.

Hunts not a very good defender. He's quick an brave but he gets exploited 1 on 1.
I'd prefer both him and Salem starting further up the field next year

Hunts not a very good defender. He's quick an brave but he gets exploited 1 on 1.
He is getting better. It's not like we are asking him to take the best forward either - hell, he's copped a tag a couple of times.

He is getting better. It's not like we are asking him to take the best forward either - hell, he's copped a tag a couple of times.

That's fine but I'd rather see him with more freedom up the ground rather than worrying so much about his position in the zone. In saying that his pace helps out with those goals over the back.

Against Collingwood in round 23 they dragged him deep and he was very uncomfortable.

He played well that day (Barring one bad spoil), unfortunately Elliot took Nev to the cleaners. I’m surprised you’re saying Hunt gets exploited 1 on 1 when you have defended Frost (Who is worse at 1 on 1 defending and also a tall so it is more important).

I like this pick. Thought we may have tried to get him with one of our last two picks. But guess we wanted to make sure we got him. Interesting to see how he develops as opposed to Nathan Murphy.
I really like that he’s always kicking goals and competes well. If he can use those skills up the ground as well it’ll be great. Maybe the Watts replacement.

Compared to a lot of running half backs going around he's practically SOS. He won't lock an opponent down, but he's accountable for his man while still running and creating.

Agree with Salem tho, get's beaten a fair bit, and lacks accountability. Will much prefer him up the ground sending it inside 50.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He played well that day (Barring one bad spoil), unfortunately Elliot took Nev to the cleaners. I’m surprised you’re saying Hunt gets exploited 1 on 1 when you have defended Frost (Who is worse at 1 on 1 defending and also a tall so it is more important).

I defend Frost but not his 1 on 1 defending mate I accept that's not his best attribute. The pace of frost and Hunt means those 2 can do the work of 3 defenders basically so I see the benefit but I wouldn't call Hunt a good 1 on 1 defender.

Compared to a lot of running half backs going around he's practically SOS. He won't lock an opponent down, but he's accountable for his man while still running and creating.

Agree with Salem tho, get's beaten a fair bit, and lacks accountability. Will much prefer him up the ground sending it inside 50.

Yeah Hunts better than Salem comfortably down back. Salem should be closer to our goals than the opponents at all times.

I defend Frost but not his 1 on 1 defending mate I accept that's not his best attribute. The pace of frost and Hunt means those 2 can do the work of 3 defenders basically so I see the benefit but I wouldn't call Hunt a good 1 on 1 defender.

I don’t think Hunt is Jetta v2 but I don’t think he is a liability either down back.

Yep, and that closing speed. Actually think Hunt is one of our better defenders, although not in the playing shoulder to shoulder sense. Manages to get a fist in most of the time, puts his body on the line despite being a waif and he chases and tackles well.

I don’t think Hunt is Jetta v2 but I don’t think he is a liability either down back.

He's not a liability. Maybe I'm coming across like I'm saying he's crap I think he's fine down back but I wouldn't consider him a 'good' defender. I think he's more dangerous with the ball in hand in the middle of the ground than he is standing on someone in the D50

I think he's more dangerous with the ball in hand in the middle of the ground than he is standing on someone in the D50
And if thats what he was doing - standing someone in D50, I think most would agree that he should be sent further up the ground, but he doesn't. Which to be fair, probably helps him with his defending as well, as his opponent would likely need to chase after him a fair bit.

Do you think he plays forward? To me he looks like a player who might end up back. Beautiful mark and reader of the footy with really nice skills tell me he might be a HBF in years to come.
I see him being a swing man while pushing for mins on the wing due to his marking
Would likely start as a forward since you already have great rebounding defenders

He has so much upside on his game

Hunt gets put in the back half because his best attribute is run and carry.

He is not an elite kick so if we push him up to wing or half forward, we are losing his ability to gain metres through run, and also using his average foot skills to enter the forward 50.

He's no lock down defender but he turns defence into attack quite well which means the opposition need a defensive forward on him.

And if thats what he was doing - standing someone in D50, I think most would agree that he should be sent further up the ground, but he doesn't. Which to be fair, probably helps him with his defending as well, as his opponent would likely need to chase after him a fair bit.

Look to be fair I don't really disagree with you all he has a very good role inside our zone defence because of his ability to cover players with his pace. He's a good player to have down there in today's AFL. Lever will give him more freedom as well

Hunt gets put in the back half because his best attribute is run and carry.

He is not an elite kick so if we push him up to wing or half forward, we are losing his ability to gain metres through run, and also using his average foot skills to enter the forward 50.

He's no lock down defender but he turns defence into attack quite well which means the opposition need a defensive forward on him.

Whilst I agree he is better in the back half rather than on the wing I think his kicking has improved and whilst he is a long kick (Can kick goals from 50-55 on the run) he isn’t a ‘penetrating’ kick.

Whilst I agree he is better in the back half rather than on the wing I think his kicking has improved and whilst he is a long kick (Can kick goals from 50-55 on the run) he isn’t a ‘penetrating’ kick.

I don't think his kicking is a weakness so much as just 'average', but certainly if we could improve his kicking to the level I'd say Petracca or Lewis, then I'd be more happy to see him starting further up the ground, as Topkent is suggesting.

Yeah Hunts better than Salem comfortably down back. Salem should be closer to our goals than the opponents at all times.
I think Salem is played down back out of necessity, adding Lever helps as he is a reliable short kick and won't commit stupid turnovers that TMac and Vince are guilty of. Gus also played half back last year and as long as Jonesy is playing good footy we won't need Gus in the middle, which means Salem should get a spot on the wing/half forward. Perhaps he takes ANB's half forward spot and ANB moves into the guts permanently? I'm not sure if Melksham, ANB, Salem can all coexist in one forward line, none of them have really natural forward instincts(a lot of ANB and Melksham's goals came on the counterattack but they don't score much in open play). Considering we also have Vandeberg who isn't a natural forward either, we might need our Harmes, Hannans and Fritsch's up forwards who have legitimate goal sense.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back