Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Will miss you Taylor ❤

Poor Majak is even more dangerous on the ground than in the air apparently
It’s not like our key forwards have history in causing some downright injurious injuries to some of our more talented players knees/feet.

This is right out of the Drew Petrie play book.
And I quote the great man when referring to our former number 8, “if you lined up every single player at the club on a list of whose foot would I most like to trod on, he would definitely be last”.

I have this fantasy of fielding a forward line of

Taylor Larkey zurhar
Thomas brown Garner

All 6 are fit and in form and coached to kill. W. Walker and Majak and scott to rotate through.

Obviously it will never happen but what else have I got to dream about.

get back soon Curtis.

Everyone has a right to question our medical staff at this stage. The board have funded an inquiry into our injury crisis.

We’re essentially resting this guy for three weeks following his infield injury. It’s different if the treatment say involved surgery. But because the treatment is rest and then rehab sending him back out on the field achieves the opposite.

Okay, make your argument then.

Can braces just be utilised to reduce swelling that is not related to structural integrity?
I don't actually get on here for the sake of having arguments. My original post was that, because I'm not medically qualified, I don't understand how you can return to the field with an injury without risk of further injury, a commonsense perspective that I suspect many of us have.

If you're an orthopaedic surgeon or a biomechanist and can explain it, that would be great.

I don't actually get on here for the sake of having arguments.

Argument: as in point of view.

My original post was that, because I'm not medically qualified, I don't understand how you can return to the field with an injury without risk of further injury, a commonsense perspective that I suspect many of us have.

You don't have any medical qualifications, therefore any "commonsense perspective" that is critical of medically qualified people is not a "commonsense perspective" at all. With respect mate, your ignorance of these matters is no ground to support any personal hunches.

If you're an orthopaedic surgeon or a biomechanist and can explain it, that would be great.

I am neither of those, and therefore without any solid evidence I won't be making any claims of medical negligence.

You don't have any medical qualifications, therefore any "commonsense perspective" that is critical of medically qualified people is not a "commonsense perspective" at all. With respect mate, your ignorance of these matters is no ground to support any personal hunches.

I am neither of those, and therefore without any solid evidence I won't be making any claims of medical negligence.

By that logic you can't make any claims of medical competence either. I'm prepared to trust that the club has bought the right people that do have the requisite medical knowledge to conduct the review. If at the conclusion of that review they come out and say we have the right people and protocols in place and the last 12 to 18 months have just been a run of worse than average luck, then I will accept that. I would be expecting to see our luck turn around sometime soon though.

I'm not making any claim of medical negligence either. I'm genuinely interested in knowing how somebody who ends up on crutches and in a knee brace the next day, can be returned to the field without further risk of injury

Last edited:
I'm not making any claim of medical negligence either. I'm genuinely interested in knowing how somebody who ends up on crutches and in a knew brace the next day, can be returned to the field without further risk of injury

The real question is how can you categorically rule out damage (and the potential for more damage) from a minute and a half assessment with no scan. Particularly in an irrelevant game, that you had essentially already won.

Same with Larkey.

And your point is valid. If rest was needed to treat injuries, how does playing on them immediately after injury help?

The real question is how can you categorically rule out damage (and the potential for more damage) from a minute and a half assessment with no scan. Particularly in an irrelevant game, that you had essentially already won.

Same with Larkey.

And your point is valid. If rest was needed to treat injuries, how does playing on them immediately after injury help?
Absolute zero upside when game was done and dusted to put him back out there. Strange decision all round.

How do you know that there was zero upside to sending him back out there?

It could have been a further test of the structural integrity of the knee before all the pain, swelling, etc. kicked in the next day and his muscles began to atrophy. It may have been the best time to test it for all we know, rather than find out in 4 weeks (when his conditioning is nowhere near as good) that it lets go and he needed a reco (God forbid) from day one.

That's my speculation and that's all your comments and mine are. Speculation. Not fact.

Well it’s fact that two young players were injured. Assessed in under 2 minutes, put back out there, after we’d won, one came back off for the remainder after their first contest, and then both missed the next game. Curtis to miss multiple games.

Those are facts.

Thomas was also put back on after what was clearly a very serious injury to his foot. He will now miss rest of the season. Again, facts.

Cunners and ziebell probably raise question marks too.

Also the club has called for an investigation into injuries.

I’m not having a go but when You see all this evidence, why are you so hell bent on defending the medical dept?

Well it’s fact that two young players were injured. Assessed in under 2 minutes, put back out there, after we’d won, one came back off for the remainder after their first contest, and then both missed the next game. Curtis to miss multiple games.

Those are facts.

Thomas was also put back on after what was clearly a very serious injury to his foot. He will now miss rest of the season. Again, facts.

Cunners and ziebell probably raise question marks too.

Also the club has called for an investigation into injuries.

I’m not having a go but when You see all this evidence, why are you so hell bent on defending the medical dept?

(1) Curtis was always going to miss multiple games with a hyperextension like that IMO. As I said, I can speculate as to a couple of methods to the madness.

(2) Yes. The club has called for an investigation.

Why are you so hell bent on jumping the gun instead of letting that investigation take place? Shaw, Brady, the administration want a fit list more than anything. They will get to the bottom of it, but, *in this particular instance* I highly doubt that Shaw made the decision to send Curtis back out there if he had not been given a good reason why by the medicos. After all, the coach makes the final decision to send a bloke from the bench to the field. Surely Shaw is no less 'common sense' than the BigFooty doctors?

If his lay person's opinion was suspicious of the medical advice he would not have sent him out there.

I also don't know how many times I have to say that other instances don't seem to add up and numerous times I've used Cunners and Ziebell as examples. But we do not know what happened there and who drove that decision.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our team doctor is still who I remember it to be, I'm pretty sure they have published before on the assessment of knee injuries. But the Bigfooty physicians will jump the gun anyway. Just let the investigation take place.

Pretty funny...."Yeahs he's running at the moment.....".....Next part of the clip he's on crutches with fully-blown knee brace.

Translation: MOTHBALLED

Remove this Banner Ad

Back