Player Watch #5: Curtis Taylor - re-signed until the end of 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

He's been a very astute pick up.

He'll reward us in the same way Perez will IMO (they've clearly got some tricks). We reshaped two drafts in a row to get those two kids.

He’s gunna be the best of the the lot I think
There are some very good players in that lot. It goes back to Jy.

But he did have some very big moments in that Saints game. When we turned the game he seemed to be involved in over half the critical plays that mattered. If that sort of thing is his ceiling then he could be a finals winning type player.

Sometimes I think "are these kids really as good as they seem?"

At least six of them have midfield potential and to be good, game breaking players at that. Simpkin is already showing how good he can be throughout a game. He is probably a year ahead of Tarryn and LDU, who are different players but both capable of winning the ball and doing good things with it.

Taylor seemed more of a midfielder than a forward in r1 as well. When he is, big, strong and fit enough to do that sort of thing all game he'll be something to watch.

There are some very good players in that lot. It goes back to Jy.

But he did have some very big moments in that Saints game. When we turned the game he seemed to be involved in over half the critical plays that mattered. If that sort of thing is his ceiling then he could be a finals winning type player.

Sometimes I think "are these kids really as good as they seem?"

At least six of them have midfield potential and to be good, game breaking players at that. Simpkin is already showing how good he can be throughout a game. He is probably a year ahead of Tarryn and LDU, who are different players but both capable of winning the ball and doing good things with it.

Taylor seemed more of a midfielder than a forward in r1 as well. When he is, big, strong and fit enough to do that sort of thing all game he'll be something to watch.
Midfield you say - could he get as strong as Fyfe.
Rd 1 he was excellent in big moments of the game - a lot of our players would of choked kicking that goal.
Has really come on big time since last season.

Taylor Fit for Success

You’d forgive any player, let alone a three-gamer who had just broken into the side for feeling a little uneasy when the season came to a grinding halt. But for Curtis Taylor, that wasn’t the case. Rather than dwell on not being able to play, the emerging North Melbourne forward used the game’s hiatus to work on his craft.

“It didn’t frustrate me at all, Taylor told North Media. “I looked at it as a positive, and I was really motivated throughout the whole eight-week period. The taste of getting more AFL footy was the motivation for me. I knew once footy did come back, that I wanted to build on where I left off.”

Taylor was one of the Roos’ best performers in the gutsy Round 1 win over St Kilda, which came off the back of an equally-impressive Marsh Series. “It gave me the confidence to know I can play at that level, and I want to get better from that,” he said. “(When the shutdown commenced) ‘Shawry’ (Rhyce Shaw) told us that it was an opportunity to work on anything we wanted to improve, and that’s how I saw it.

"I wanted to use the eight-week period to get a jump on the competition, for myself, and as a team. I took myself to my holiday house in Echuca, and took some weights up there. There’s a footy oval two minutes away as well, so it was a nice to be able to get away from the Melbourne bubble and really focus on training. If I was ever in a running session on my own and it was a grind, I would think of the outcome and what it was going do for me.”

As well as the carat of more senior footy, Taylor found motivation from his teammates. “We had so much connection and contact over the break, it was easy to keep motivation up,” he said. “There was a forward line group that caught up a lot, and the leaders were fantastic in keeping in touch and checking in. Jade Rawlings in particular was someone I had a lot of contact with, which was really good for the education side of my game.”

The number 31 has impressed on the track since training resumed, and says he is getting used to the “new normal.” “Everything is pretty different at the club,” he explained. “But it’s becoming the new normal, and we’re getting used to the heat tests and extra hygiene (laughs). The boys have all come back in really good nick. We had a good program in place, which has helped with a smooth transition back into training.”

A highly-touted draft prospect in 2018, many were surprised Taylor fell to North Melbourne at pick 46. And his start to the 2020 season suggests Roos’ fans have plenty of cause for excitement. “For me it’s about playing with my natural flair, within the team structure,” he said. “We are in a forward-line that is very versatile and we have our own tricks, and we want to keep bringing those to the table, while doing the right thing by the team.”

Alongside Cameron Zurhaar (22), Nick Larkey (22) and Tarryn Thomas (20), the 20-year-old forms part of an emerging front six. “It’s very exciting that we’re all getting a taste of senior footy at this stage in our career,” Taylor added. “It gives us confidence in the work we’ve put it in. There’s a lot of upside and scope to improve as players. “We’re young and energetic, and we play like that on the field. It’s a good place to be.”

Taylor and the Roos face their first test upon a return to footy, facing GWS at GIANTS Stadium on June 14.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got some serious x-factor this kid.

Has a much higher ceiling than Garner.

He gets the ball with ease, which is really rare for a half forward.

He's going to be a goal kicking wingman in time and one that gets a fair bit of the ball imo.

Throughout pre-season and Rnd 1, whenever he has transitioned high up the ground, the ball basically followed him.

He's going to be a goal kicking wingman in time and one that gets a fair bit of the ball imo.

Throughout pre-season and Rnd 1, whenever he has transitioned high up the ground, the ball basically followed him.
Floating in and around the packs. Very similar to Thomas in that respect.

Very very natural footballer, with obvious high footy IQ. He pushes really hard to get to the right places.

This kid was Pick 46.
Very very natural footballer, with obvious high footy IQ. He pushes really hard to get to the right places.
The 2018 draft is looking like the draft of the naturals. Thomas, Taylor, and Scott are smart, tough, talented footballers, all with high footy IQ like you say rf08. Been loving Taylor's 2020 right from the preseason games, and already sold on TT since last year, so now just Scotty to get back in the 22 and complete the trifecta.

Floating in and around the packs. Very similar to Thomas in that respect.

I haven't seen Thomas show the ability to accumulate the ball at AFL level. IT's one of his main question marks imo.

I dont have the same such concerns from Curtis, he pretty clearly gets it whenever he's near it, he also knows how to get repeat possessions in passages of play.

Wonder what other clubs saw in him that had him slide so much in the draft.
Was the only person who was invited to draft night not to be selected.

My guess is that he was pegged as a medium-forward who wouldn't make the transition into being a midfielder. That's always the risk with medium forwards unfortunately.

The same can be said of Garner (a 1st rounder), Zurhaar (a rookie pick) & Hosie (a mid-season draft pick). And also Ben McKinley, of course.

He was definitely worth the punt where we picked him. And I don't think we paid too much to move up & obtain the pick anyway.

Wonder what other clubs saw in him that had him slide so much in the draft.
Was the only person who was invited to draft night not to be selected.
Tank and consistently were the issues that I read.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back