Delisted 31. Francis Evans (2020 -2022)

Remove this Banner Ad

My bet is we are into a lot of players... who knows who is taken and who is still there at ones pick.. That we picked others before Robertson doesn't mean we would not like him..just means we likes other more. Time will tell if it was a wise choice.. ..in the mean time ..Evans offers another chapter to the Swells mythology ... I wonder how any times we will hear about Wels picking this kid from the North Old Boys or the NOBS ..

I have a feeling we were after Gould and Sydney somehow caught wind of this and usurped us. That was a bummer as Gould is a unit and looks a likely type. Just a hunch, but we seemed to change tact after this trade and were more than happy to get on the blower and go ahead with the pre-arranged pick swap with GC (given the right circumstances).

The Evans pick was very interesting to say the least given the lack of football actually played but we just tend to raise the eyebrows and hope Wells has nailed another one.

From the outside it seems Taheny at 41 and Evans at 50 would have been less risky but we got both in the end and they clearly have some talent.

Last edited:

I have a feeling we were after Gould and Sydney somehow caught wind of this and usurped us. That was a bummer as Gould is a unit and looks a likely type. Just a hunch, but we seemed to change tact after this trade and were more than happy to get on the blower and go ahead with the pre-arranged pick swap with GC (given the right circumstances).

The Evans pick was very interesting to say the least given the lack of football actually played but we just tend to raise the eyebrows and hope Wells has nailed another one.

From the outside it seems Taheny at 41 and Evans at 50 would have been less risky but we got both in the end and they clearly have some talent.

Yes, I agree. Reckon we had both Gould and Williams earmarked for that third pick. When they had both gone we went to plan B. Doubt we take Taheny if we draft Williams so will be interesting to compare their respective careers over the years.

Cal Twomey was of the opinion that we were right into Deven Robertson and Trent Bianco. It seems as though he was mislead somewhat by our recruiters.
Fair play to Cal he got way more right than wrong. He has said Geel and Haw are by far the hardest to get a read or info from. He keep his impeccable record of botching our first two round picks.

He did nail Day for the Hawks

Fair play to Cal he got way more right than wrong. He has said Geel and Haw are by far the hardest to get a read or info from. He keep his impeccable record of botching our first two round picks.

He did nail Day for the Hawks

He did identify our interest in Gould so perhaps there was a leak there and it was why Sydney gazumped us.

Beatson (Swans recruiting head honcho) in his post draft interview stated that they believed the Cats were after Gould and that is why they gazumped us and traded their pick 28 to Adelaide for pick 26.
Gould seemed happy to share pre draft that he had been interviewed the most by the cats. In this day and age info like that can have flow on effects. Like Sydney giving away not much to nail their man. I feel the “info” floating around is going to get very grey over the next few years. This year it was amazing how much Cal got. I reckon clubs will openly lie in future years to manipulate what they want

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Makes me wonder, had Rantall been available at pick 41 with this guy, who Wells would've selected...

Either or, good upside in both players, but Evans looks more a natural footballer.

Makes me wonder, had Rantall been available at pick 41 with this guy, who Wells would've selected...

Either or, good upside in both players, but Evans looks more a natural footballer.

I know some here think you can fix bad kicking, but I don’t want to be bringing in players like Rantall that can’t hit targets. Evans is damaging on both sides, I’ll happily take him.

I sneezed before watching his highlights package and had to restart as I missed the entire clip.

Any chance they have beyond 50 seconds of footage down in the archives for a player we drafted into our AFL list??

He played a game and a half at TAC level before getting injured.

So unless you think Wellsy is the type to take his iPhone down to the VAFA and record the play lol, then no.

He played a game and a half at TAC level before getting injured.

So unless you think Wellsy is the type to take his iPhone down to the VAFA and record the play lol, then no.

Before he played at the NAB League level Swells mentioned he kicked 8 goals at the lower level..not sure if he was as at the ground watching him do that or that was the game that drew attention to him ..but its an interesting point.. do they record all games they go and watch ..or do they rely on memory to some degree with games at the lower level..

Rantall... l think they just got in before us.
I don't mind this pick though he's interesting Evans that's for sure, but we have a heap of 182's and smaller types.
He's got a ton of competition with Fogarty, Dallhaus, Atkins, Miers, Tarce and the rookie Close. Ablett etc.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back