Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

BlueandWhiteinmyBlood

Club Legend
May 27, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Why Goater wasn’t given a game instead of bringing in Atu has me ducked!

Atu is a spud!

I’m glad we didn’t bring the poor kid in for his debut down at the cattery on a winter night where we were no doubt going to get flogged. Let him debut on the flat deck at Marvel or our game at the G this weekend

Chewy Chewman

Team Captain
Jan 28, 2022
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the words of Liam Nelson. Josh has a particular set of skills. Skills that will make a him nightmare for the opposition.

For love of god please don’t waste him in VFL in as a lockdown defender.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Its-Time-Badge-55mm.png

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The main problem is a list of 44-46 pre covid with 36-38 senior players, 4-6 cat A rookies and 0-2 cat B rookies, you could theoretically field a reserve side if you had 6 KPP, 6 KPD 2-4 ruckmen and exactly duplicated players of all the roles you had and never had any injuries.

Obviously, that isn't going to happen.

I think what they should do is get rid of rookies altogether and the mid season draft and have 40 player primary list and a 40 player secondary list which you use for a reserve grade team and any time you have an LTI you can elevate someone from your secondary list to the primary list until they are ready to play again and they are treated like academy players in the draft where you get the right to match a bid with a discount.

So we would basically morph the rookies into the reserve grade player list and expand it out to 40 and it would just be a reserve grade outside of the VFL. I think the VFL should be solely a suburban league where clubs are playing to win, not just an extension of the schoolboy system.

If the AFL returned all broadcasting revenue to the clubs, every club would have scope to do more for player development, have more resources to spend on development in the club, improve player salaries... the AFL retain too much money and piss it up against the wall.

We don't rest players as much as we should, because we don't have the capacity to, it is the main reason we get so many serious injuries, because we send people with minor injuries or niggles to play games because they can get through it, we do it because lists are too small. We have in recent times struggled to field a fit team.
Yes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately it would have been announced by now if he was gonna debut 😭
I'm all for it and looking forward to the day but let's get real for a minute. We just put up the first decent effort in about 12 weeks, dare I say we deserve some nourishment at all levels and should be going hammer and tong to achieve that. Based on the performance last week that involves minimal tweaks to a more competitive 22.

JUST NORTH

Senior List
Aug 14, 2007
perth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Needs to be given a taste before the year is out.
Patch was asked today if there is anyone he coached at vfl level that he would like to see play at afl, not one mention of Goater,am i missing something here?He is the one player i want to see debut, his attributes have been wasted deep in defence for most of the year, unleashed on the wing on the weekend and you could see the impact he had, this guy is an attacking weapon and athletic beast that will translate effectively at afl level.

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Patch was asked today if there is anyone he coached at vfl level that he would like to see play at afl, not one mention of Goater,am i missing something here?He is the one player i want to see debut, his attributes have been wasted deep in defence for most of the year, unleashed on the wing on the weekend and you could see the impact he had, this guy is an attacking weapon and athletic beast that will translate effectively at afl level.
I thought he handled that question very deftly. They were baiting him into revealing something about the selection process which hasn't happened yet, and he dodged the question by talking about how many guys have been able to get senior opportunities as reward for their VFL efforts. Don't read into it either way.

Back