Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Athletically he looks pretty damn good. Skills a little scratchy, with his handballing a wee bit wtf at times. It certainly feels like he will adapt to the pace of AFL level pretty quickly.

His kicking actually reminds me of McDonalds a bit.

He will hit his fair share of worldies, with some crap mixed in between.

I don't think he thinks he's the best kick on the planet like Lmac though.

Limitless potential.

When this kid is 90kg+ (which he will be with his body shape and height), he's going to be an unstoppable weapon capable of playing multiple positions.

There needs to be a category above "elite" athleticism for him.

Start the season now - can’t wait

Genuinely excited that this bloke is on our list, 90% because of his name (but I'm that stoked that the other 10% is more than any other players full 100% quota).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah have to agree dont think he will play as many games as some think. Looks a great pick but a few in front of him will have to bid his time and no doubt it will come when Noble and co see fit.

Our backline rebounders have two 30plus players and that’s it - there’s a spot there for whoever is good enough.

Our backline rebounders have two 30plus players and that’s it - there’s a spot there for whoever is good enough.

Longer term but si think he’s physically and aerobicslly a way off, maybe second half of the year.

I am expecting something like the below but depends on Luke’s role

FB: Ziebell - McKay - Corr

HB: McDonsld - J.Walker - Hall

bench: Turner

a lot to play out and I expect it will develop over the year - Goater if ready , no certainty, a chance but it’s very competitive for spots down there

I’m more curious about reports that Comben is training back a bit

Luke and Goater rotating between wing and half back by the end of the year would be exciting

Longer term but si think he’s physically and aerobicslly a way off, maybe second half of the year.

a lot to play out and I expect it will develop over the year - Goater if ready , no certainty, a chance but it’s very competitive for spots down there

Luke and Goater rotating between wing and half back by the end of the year would be exciting
He's already 80kg and no doubt getting bigger. Endurance could be an issue but you don't need to be a marathon runner to rotate off the bench as a 7th defender.

Josh Goater - 31

Wearing the jumper made most famous by a pair of North talls, Goater will be hoping to place his name amongst two literal giants of the game.

Corey McKernan made his name as one of the greatest rucks of all-time in the North Melbourne side of the 1990s, winning two premierships in his time at the club, before returning for one final season in the number 5 after a stint at Carlton.

David Hale emerged as a genuine ruck forward wearing 31 at North in the 2000s, playing 129 games for the club as he filled the void left by the retiring McKernan.

Yeah pretty spot on i think and you also have not mentioned Bonar or Perez will also be in the mix.No doubt Goater looks a player but still behind a few like i said . Comes out and kills pre season and gets his chance round 1 good on him means we are looking very good early on.

As I said, I think he will be the sub quite a bit this year.

Can literally play in all 3 zones of the ground in event of injury sub.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back