Player Watch #31: Josh Goater - re-signed until the end of 2025 - ruptured Achilles injury vs GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely would have been in line for a call up before Archer?
I’ve seen Archer play every VFL game this season. I’m sorry but He is so far from from playing 1’s it would be very cruel to play him .
He hardly can defend the stronger bodies in the VFL and I don’t think he’s managed any more than 5-6 possessions a game .
He is very prone to panic under pressure and as a consequence turn the ball over .
Is this a marketing ploy ?!

I’ve seen Archer play every VFL game this season. I’m sorry but He is so far from from playing 1’s it would be very cruel to play him .
He hardly can defend the stronger bodies in the VFL and I don’t think he’s managed any more than 5-6 possessions a game .
He is very prone to panic under pressure and as a consequence turn the ball over .
In all seriousness, I wonder whether its an incentive to improve his performance.
"See mate, you're right on the cusp"

Yep bizarre either way you look at it - whether an incentive or marketing just screams of weird to me.

Reckon just to give him an experience as to what a senior game involves. Even though you'd think he'd already know that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have we had any first year defenders roll through this year? Bergham was one wasn’t he? And that was a premature selection (based on conditioning).

Have we had any first year defenders roll through this year? Bergham was one wasn’t he? And that was a premature selection (based on conditioning).
I saw Bergman, P Walker , Goater & Bonar at the pre match function last weekend.
Bonar was literally twice the size in every way bigger than those guys .
Shows how much they desperately need to hit the weights room before even thinking of being selected in the 1’s?!

I saw Bergman, P Walker , Goater & Bonar at the pre match function last weekend.
Bonar was literally twice the size in every way bigger than those guys .
Shows how much they desperately need to hit the weights room before even thinking of being selected in the 1’s?!
Makes you wonder what the SC team is doing.

Have seen a few flashes when watching the VFL but hasn't had any consistency and has missed a couple of games so no continuity either. I think a late season debut for a taste of senior action would be a best case scenario for the Goat. Then hopefully he has the fitness base to really start pushing for earned senior action next year.

So I just went back and watched back footage of his game from the weekend again.

Hands down his best of the year after struggling to find the ball and impact the game in his first year. Stoked for him to get a game like this under his belt and it should do him a world of good.

Some things that stood out:
  • Sure hands when intercept marking
  • Super clean taking possession of the ball under pressure
  • Made some seriously good kicks and attacking handballs to get some speed on the ball and open up the play

I wish he used more of his run and carry to break the lines, and mixed it with his long kicking to turn himself into a metres gained beast. I mentioned this in the VFL thread during the game, but he's playing as one of the last 3 defenders for some reason. I'd personally have him on the back flank and give him the license to run, carry and be putting bombs into forward 50 before the defense has a chance to get set. Even if he's not positioning his kicks perfectly in this situation, our goal should be to create stoppages inside forward 50m or goal scoring opportunities. Play Stephenson deep 1-out or a tall up forward with someone like Mahony or Dib at their feet.

There were a few moments where his decision making and execution was average, but the more ball and exposure he gets at this level, he'll be able to improve those things.

So I just went back and watched back footage of his game from the weekend again.

Hands down his best of the year after struggling to find the ball and impact the game in his first year. Stoked for him to get a game like this under his belt and it should do him a world of good.

Some things that stood out:
  • Sure hands when intercept marking
  • Super clean taking possession of the ball under pressure
  • Made some seriously good kicks and attacking handballs to get some speed on the ball and open up the play

I wish he used more of his run and carry to break the lines, and mixed it with his long kicking to turn himself into a metres gained beast. I mentioned this in the VFL thread during the game, but he's playing as one of the last 3 defenders for some reason. I'd personally have him on the back flank and give him the license to run, carry and be putting bombs into forward 50 before the defense has a chance to get set. Even if he's not positioning his kicks perfectly in this situation, our goal should be to create stoppages inside forward 50m or goal scoring opportunities. Play Stephenson deep 1-out or a tall up forward with someone like Mahony or Dib at their feet.

There were a few moments where his decision making and execution was average, but the more ball and exposure he gets at this level, he'll be able to improve those things.
How much do you think he could unlock the run once the vfl side is more competitive. How much of the current situation is because we are “pinned back”?

I am worried we will coach flair out of him by playing him deep back and even Hbf.

Tall midfielder or winger at the moment and should be played as such and encouraged to break lines and attack at all times. Difficult for young players to be told to play defensive on a forward in a team that gets spanked each week, and then be told also to attack from hb and use their speed and break lines and then kick to open space because your forwards have all been sucked up the ground.

Should play as a receiving midfielder to Tyson for a month.

Don’t want to see him Atley’d in terms of role and flair being suppressed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back